How much I pay for my website

sbs

I have a website through vistaprint which I pay $20 a month for. Are there any free websites you guys know of or someplace cheaper than the $20 a month I pay now? Any advice from those who use Yola or godaddy? I love the ease of vistaprint but would rather not have to pay a monthly fee if I don't have to. Another reason I would like to change my site is because I saw another chandler with the exact same one. No one on the boards, just some random lady who sells candles and purses. No bueno lol..

Thank you!

No matter where you go, you will have to pay a monthly hosting fee. You might do better than $20 monthly. Sometimes if you prepay a year at a time, you will get a break on cost.

If I remember correctly, Vistaprint "owns" all their designs. If you go to another host, you will need to rebuild your site. I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I researched websites.

Many hosting companies "give" you free tools to build your own website but the hosting fee is a separate issue.

Thanks alwayswondering. I just looked up weebly and they have free hosting. Anybody use them? Any reviews? I'm sort of dreading this whole process of switching everything over but I don't want a site that has the exact same design as someone else's. And I'm paying $20 a month? I'm working on getting a logo too so I want a site that will let me use it in the design.

I currently pay 20 per month too, with homestead.com. It has worked ok for me, except for the $20.

A while ago a new friend offered to help me set up a site with Wordpress.org. This is a free blog site you can set up and use like a web site. My new site is begin hosted with 1 & 1 internet inc. I think it's something like $4 per month. (my new site isn't complete yet.)

Now, all that being said, I needed help setting this up. So if you have a computer savy friend or understand thing yourself this may be a good option.

I pay for 2 domain names for another business of mine, but I never set up a website. I'm not savvy on the particulars, but wouldn't the 20 dollar charge a month cover your domain name? Just curious, as I am paying for the domain name

I'm not savvy on the particulars, but wouldn't the 20 dollar charge a month cover your domain name?

I'm not too savvy either but it must because I don't pay anything else.... Do you pay for your domain monthly? Is it expensive?

As a user of Weebly I have to say we LOVE them! Cost effective and easy to set up, only thing I do recommend is to get your own domain name....it works better that way for your SEO =)

Hope that helps and feel free to ask any questions you might have about them =)

As a user of Weebly I have to say we LOVE them! Cost effective and easy to set up, only thing I do recommend is to get your own domain name....it works better that way for your SEO =)

Thanks!!! I'm reading about weebly now. I see it was voted one of the top free website builders. :yay:

Oh and yes I will have to pay vistaprint to switch over my domain name. Booooooo.....

Edited by sbs

Hi! Don't mean to hijack the thread but I went to your site and while there, looked at your warmers. The egg shaped electric warmers look cool but I can't figure out where you put the tart?

I pay about $60/year for hosting and they include a free domain. You can use a free site builder or upload your design, etc. with frontpage.

$60 a year is better than $20 a month! Thanks for the info.. too bad I'm just realizing vistaprint wasn't the better deal. Now I'm learning different options. Guess I shoulda did my research better.:P

I currently don't have a website for my candles, I do have a website I built as a Tribute to my brother who died in 2006. It is hosted on 1and1. It is only $4/month. At that BASIC level, it can only be a site that doesn't have a monetary checkout. Although, I may at some point create a site just to display my candles with a email address and phone number to order my candles, I really have no desire to sell and ship them through a website. 1and1 does have commerce sites for as little as $9.99/month but they limit you to 50 products at that level. You can check them out at http://www.1and1.com. They give you the first 6 months free, I assume with a 1 year agreement. They have $29.99/month and $49.99/month plans also, but they all include some more advanced features. All of them, including the $9.99 plan have a website design tool, and plenty of additional free help in getting set up.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!!! I'm reading about weebly now. I see it was voted one of the top free website builders. :yay:

Oh and yes I will have to pay vistaprint to switch over my domain name. Booooooo.....

No way they should not be charging for that!

Buy your domains from Go Daddy.com

I have started designing a website with weebly also.. so far I really like it. There is a limit to the customization right now but I emailed them and they are hoping to allow more cutomization in the near future. I pay for my own domain name through domainzoo. Anyway try out weebly I think you will like it a lot.

When I asked about websites on here many people recommended designer218. I did check them out and decided to go with them. I currently have another site that I had someone do for me, but, it's all html which I know nothing about. So either I pay for updates when I need them or find something else I can do myself. I got a temporary website with deisgner218 so I can work on it while my other is still up so no downtime at all. So far I am liking it alot. And yes Mandi has been helpful!! I'm sure I'll be using her help again before it's all said and done. It is more than what I was paying before, but, it's worth it to me in the long run since I can add, change, update etc my site myself. Currently I can't do jack since it's all html. And paying the person who deisgned it to do the updates would be way too expensive.

I pay for a .com and a .net and I think it runs $70 some dollars a year. I have 5 pages with it and do absolutely nothing to use it. I've done that for at least 5 years. I will attempt something this summer when my daughter is finally out of school.

I've been a freelance website/graphic designer for about 13 years now. I charge $10 per month (or $110 per year) for website hosting and $15 per year for domain name. Each hosting account comes with a backend control panel with options to install WordPress or open source CMS like joomla or drupal.

Most CMS (content management systems) offer shopping cart plug ins and are fairly simple to set up. Wordpress has countless free or inexpensive templates you can use with it, and an easy to use shopping cart plug-in, or there's always the option of a PayPal shopping cart.

With WordPress it is very easy to edit content yourself, unless you're needing drastic changes to the layout or design of the template.

I currently don't have a website for my candles, I do have a website I built as a Tribute to my brother who died in 2006. It is hosted on 1and1. It is only $4/month. At that BASIC level, it can only be a site that doesn't have a monetary checkout. Although, I may at some point create a site just to display my candles with a email address and phone number to order my candles, I really have no desire to sell and ship them through a website. 1and1 does have commerce sites for as little as $9.99/month but they limit you to 50 products at that level. You can check them out at http://www.1and1.com. They give you the first 6 months free, I assume with a 1 year agreement. They have $29.99/month and $49.99/month plans also, but they all include some more advanced features. All of them, including the $9.99 plan have a website design tool, and plenty of additional free help in getting set up.

Hope that helps.

Hey Java, I'm part of a FREE group that earns cash back...and 1&1 is one of the providers. I just transferred all my domains to them and earned ovr 20% cash back. PM me if you want more info...cash back is killer! :) and 1&1 has been good for me too. That's not who I "host" with but that's who my domains are all with now.

$60 a year is better than $20 a month! Thanks for the info.. too bad I'm just realizing vistaprint wasn't the better deal. Now I'm learning different options. Guess I shoulda did my research better.:P

You're welcome SB, if you want a link/more information, feel free to PM me! Also, you do NOT have to pay for vistaprint to "move" your domain...it's YOURS! You pay for the rights to it every year no matter WHO hosts it. Everyone else is right! Whoever you want to "register" your domain, just contact them and they'll help you go through the transfer. You should never pay more than $10 a year for your domain aka...your url link like: www.jbinspirations.com It's kind of like having a "business sign" whereas having "website hosting" is like renting a building for your business to be in. You need BOTH....but they are sometimes charged separately. :)

Hi! Don't mean to hijack the thread but I went to your site and while there, looked at your warmers. The egg shaped electric warmers look cool but I can't figure out where you put the tart?

Sorry didn't see your question sooner but did just reply to your PM =)