New to candle making

I think you'll like the way the 4786 handles the fragrance oils when you burn it. That wax can take 9 percent but for the most part, really doesn't need much more than the standard 6 percent (one ounce per pound). Looks like you got quality stuff in the kit.

Sliver, did you spend too much last week? I know I did. :mad:

Edited by EricofAZ

You did good. Kits are always the best to start with.

As for being on a tight budget..................tell me in 6 months how that's working out for you!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

It's a VERY expensive hobby. Don't mean to burst your bubble. Just fair warning.

its just tight right now my husbands been out of work for about 4 or 5 months now. unemployment don't pay much.

Des, some of us have made mistrakes and spent thousands testing.

Stick with one size, one wax for now. You have a good lineup of items to begin with.

You can use that kit and the one wax I mentioned to make a good candle. Lavender and Vanilla are the most popular. Do your testing and get it down pat and then when you are confident in your product, stick with it.

After you make some money, then you might add one more container size/shape, or a different FO. Don't go overboard experimenting with a zillion waxes and a zillion scents and a zillion colors and a zillion containers/molds.

yea that was pretty much my game plan. I am trying to start out slow. I have been fighting for my disability for about 3 years now and what my husband brings in don't even cover the rent. I am hoping to help out with the candles some. Is there any thing in that i need to know before starting?:confused::confused::confused:

Yeah, like every hobby, there's a learning curve to candlemaking. Some things work, some things just fail. You mentioned that you're on a tight budget, and there are some interesting ways to stretch your wax farther. The best one that I've found is using a makeshift disposable mold (orange juice concentrate cans are my favorite) and make a pillar candle like normal, but then drop crushed ice and ice cubes into the wax immediately after pouring. Once the candle is fully cooled, and you empty out the water you'll have some fascinating designs in the wax and you'll have used a lot less of it than a normal candle.

Yeah, like every hobby, there's a learning curve to candlemaking. Some things work, some things just fail. You mentioned that you're on a tight budget, and there are some interesting ways to stretch your wax farther. The best one that I've found is using a makeshift disposable mold (orange juice concentrate cans are my favorite) and make a pillar candle like normal, but then drop crushed ice and ice cubes into the wax immediately after pouring. Once the candle is fully cooled, and you empty out the water you'll have some fascinating designs in the wax and you'll have used a lot less of it than a normal candle.

Make sure your insurance premiums are on time and you have adequate coverage.

yea that was pretty much my game plan. I am trying to start out slow. I have been fighting for my disability for about 3 years now and what my husband brings in don't even cover the rent. I am hoping to help out with the candles some. Is there any thing in that i need to know before starting?:confused::confused::confused:

Have you priced quality supplies? Look at the supplies in your kit to see what you should look for. Not saying you have to invest thousands to start with, but it does take a decent amount for testing to get a good quality product (if it's not safe and good, you wont have any return customers).

I don't mean to sound negative, but if your income doesn't even cover your rent....this will probably harm more than help your finances.

Good luck to you though, whatever you eventually decide. Making candles is as fun as frustrating. I wouldn't trade it for anything :cheesy2: