Stumped

vberkesch

I consider myself a somewhat experienced soapmaker, but have had a problem that I wonder if any of you could help me with - as I am SICK of rebatching for the same problem!!!!!!!

I make pink sugar and pour 1/8th of the batter out AFTER the whole batter comes to med trace. The 1/8th is used for the top and I have NO PK SCENT in this portion as it stays a nice pink on top of the brown bottom this way.

I mix the 1/8th more thoroughly so as not to have a problem with brittleness or high lye in that unscented portion.

I go on to the remaining 7/8ths. Add the pk scent and mix. Pour in mold. Go back to the 1/8th. Make sure it is at trace and pour over the scented portion. Sprinkle on pink sugar granuals.k

Cut next day - WOW is this the most beautiful pk I've ever made. So think I've licked this bugger.....NOPE......the inevitable happens again. Check on it the next day and sure enough the Pink top portion is brittle (especially around the edges) and yep the edges of the pink portion ZAPS my tongue. NOPE can't sell this batch!!

This same type of thing has happened to me when I pull out an unscented portion to swirl it back into the scented portion. The unscented (swirled portion) zaps and is brittle.

WHAT ...............AM I DOING WRONG!! Words of wisdom anyone!!!

Vanessa

Carebear,

I don't think the cure will help.....as the top is actually brittle.

I just made a new batch of PK and I SB like forever. Definitely a thick trace......SB the WHOLE batter B4 i pulled out the unscented PK.

Will keep you all posted.

Vanessa

scale is good. I did use td in the upper portion - this could have added to it.

But just to let you all know........I made up another PS and made it up the same way, same recipe, BUTTTT I Stick Blended the whole thing for ALOT longer. Definitely a THICK trace. Poured the pink section off to the side. Added the FO to the main section & poured in the mold. Added the Pink colorant and 1/4 tsp TD to the remaining section without FO. Stick Blended some more. Poured on top. Added Pink Sugar sprinkles.

AND THIS TIME IT WORKED!! Looks beautiful and NO BRITTLES and NO Zap!!!! Yippeeeeee!

Thanks all, hope this thread helps someone else! Vanessa

I'm a bit cornfused here....stickblending doesn't mean the lye goes away b/c you stickblend it more?:confused: The lye is still present just as strong at all stages of saponification. Maybe the top part didn't have the lye completely incorporated so there were stronger pockets or less of it in it.

I have poured my soap at all different levels of trace and never had anything crumble.

Glad you got it to work finally.