Making soy candles for profit

Hi everyone :)

I just joined CraftServer to help learn more information about candle making. I need some help finding a starting place with venturing into making soy candles AND making a profit. I'm a total beginner and have never made a candle in my life, but it is very much a dream and ambition. I'd love to hear how you guys started and what you recommend.

I don't want to start with a huge batch and then not being able to sell them or some other unfortunate incident. What would be a good number of candles to start off with? How many different scents?

I've been looking into candle making kits but they really seem to be way more than buying the supplies separately and from a company that sells wholesale. I've been looking at supplies on CandleWic and CandleScience. Do you guys have any experience with these companies? Or do you recommend another company with similar prices?

My heart is in container candles for now, because of the ease of them and because I basically just prefer them over other types. I was thinking about starting with 8oz jelly jars to begin with. I've seen prices for a case of 12 anywhere from $6.00 to $14. What is a reasonable price? Or do you recommend starting with a different size?

Thanks and have a great day!

Candlewic and Candlescience are both excellent suppliers. Peak is another (they generously provide this forum). My suggestion would be to do alot of reading here on the boards, learn how to use the search feature. There is a wealth of information already here on all of the subjects you're talking about.

Maybe order a wax sampler, some wick samplers. Order some 1oz sample scents in a variety that appeal to you..

And prepare to do alot of testing if you want a quality product. Soy can be very tricky to work with.

Welcome!

Edited by nursenancy

I don't make candles, I make tarts. I notice that most of my competitors and myself sell wax tarts at "about" $1 per ounce. I have no idea if that rule applies to candles in containers.

You probably know this but I think a good way to start is put together your "pretend" orders as if you were going to make 100 8 oz candles in 8 scents. Wax, wicks, fragrance oils, dye (if you choose to use dye), jars, lids, labels, and if you are going to ship them, packaging materials. Include shipping from the suppliers! Add it all up and divide by 100 and that would be your cost per candle. Of course, this doesn't begin to cover your time! You also need to account for one time purchase of equipment like wax melters or double boilers, thermometers, stir sticks, pyrex cups or whatever. Now take a look at some hand made candle sellers on etsy or ebay and see what they are charging for container candles and see if what they are selling for is in range to cover your costs and to make a decent profit per candle.

I also understand that candles can be very tricky regarding the right wick to take up enough of the fragrance and not burn too hot or too cold, etc. so your initial start up costs might be high as you experiment with wicks or waxes as well as finding oils you like and throw well with your wax and wicks.

Where to begin? Being a noobie to candles (4 months) all I can say is you are no where even remotely close to being able to sell a product. Ive spent days and days reading and researching just on THIS site. There are so many things you need to know and do before venturing into sales of any product. There are seasoned people here that will tell you that you wont turn a profit for quite some time. I dont mean to sound negative but I thought hey what the hell its melting wax and pouring it into a jar and putting in a wick!! CHA CHING !!Money rolls in. WRONG! Ive already spent hundreds on materials and its all trial and error right now. Just when I think I've got it right I try another Fragrance and color and BAM its starting all over again. I have so many testers that I could open up a store. ITS ALOT OF FUN THOUGH and thats what keeps me going. Sure I would like to make money and who wouldnt but its a long time away for me and this site gave me a reality check and I appreciate it. Search seach search for answers on this board its LOADED with valueable information. Its been the best investment I made since starting out. Hopefully you have thick skin because some will tell it like it is in a cocky manner but they will still steer you in the right direction. Everyone has started out once not knowing anything. As far as the suppliers I guess it depends where your located due to the high expense of shipping. I use Candlewic almost exclusively and thats only because they are within 3 hours driing distance and the shipping is cheaper than buying from half way across the country.

Good Luck to you and welcome.

Tina

Edited by Tinas Candles

Over the past couple of months there have been several threads asking the same exact questions. I'd recommend that you read thru the threads in both this forum on general candle making and also the Veggie wax section. You're going to need to learn how to make a candle before you even think about selling one.

If you plan to make candles for profit, you better stop now. Granted there are chandlers here who do sell and make a nice profit, but they've been here a long time and no doubt still learning and testing. If you want to make candles because you love them and love making them, then consider this a hobby, and hobbies cost money.

If you plan to make candles for profit, you better stop now

I respectfully have to disagree...

granted, it is not easy money by any stretch, but with careful planning and research, I believe it can be done.

However, there is alot of preparation to get to a sellable product.

I think it's best to start out simple. One jar, one wax, a small but well rounded collection of scents.

JMO, of course..

I have been making soy candles for 5 years now. Spent thousands on supplies and still do not make a profit at the ends of the year. But I love it, it keeps me sane lol so I continue to do it. I would start off by going to the vegetable was forum and read as much as you can and take notes. You can also do a search on the suppliers you mentioned to find a lot of threads about different oils.. Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the welcome guys :)

I have been doing a lot of research, and have been getting numerous books. So I would say I have some book knowledge.

I love candles (as any girl does :rolleyes2) and I also love being able to make my own things. But because I am young and I don't have a huge amount of money that I can just spend however I want, I need a hobby that will pay for itself, even in a small way. I'm fully aware that candle making isn't going to make someone rich over night, nor is it going to be as simple as popping a wick into a jar and filling it with wax. From the research that I've been doing over the last few weeks I would have to disagree with saying that you won't earn a profit with it though.

I think with any hobby that is profitable, it depends on your business plan, and where you want your business to go, no matter how small it may be. I think a plan and budget is very important, even if you're selling just a few dozen. Some people may be comfortable with finding that perfect blend, wick, fragrance and color and stick with it. Others love to experiment. I think, as a novice, it'd be better to go along finding a combination I'm comfortable with and get some regular customers before starting to really experiment.

I'd love to hear how you guys started your business, any issues and problems you came across, and how popular your candles are!

I have been making soy candles for 5 years now. Spent thousands on supplies and still do not make a profit at the ends of the year. But I love it, it keeps me sane lol so I continue to do it. I would start off by going to the vegetable was forum and read as much as you can and take notes. You can also do a search on the suppliers you mentioned to find a lot of threads about different oils.. Welcome to the forum :)

this. candles do not, have not, and likely will not ever make a LARGE profit for my line- but I'm a soap maker who began to make candles a few years ago- and my focus will always be mostly on the B&B side. Could I make a profit? sure- but it would require thousands more in investment (buying wax by the pallet instead of 4 cases at a time, buying jars by the pallet, and fragrance oils no less than 5lbs at a time) competition is fierce, customers are loyal to brands they love, and candles are time, money, and energy consuming. But we love it, thats why we do it :) I dont LOSE money on them, and I always have beautiful candles burning around the house.. but it has taken YEARS to make back those initial investments- and while I wont give you a solid number, its more than $5,000, and thats just initial investment - how much more I cant be certain, you pick things up here and there.. but thats an honest answer. I'm still dropping hundreds here and there all the time that I wont see back for months. Maybe a year.

I sell my candles wholesale, at shows, online, and to boutiques for private label. You'll find different markets are more accepting to different prices.. one boutique sells my private label candle for just under $40, another for 12.95. Same candle.

My #1 advice to you is never go to market with something you are not 100000% confident in, and please insure yourself. If you sell a candle which is unsafe, a candle which does not burn well, a candle thats underwicked and choked, or overwicked and smokes... that not only looks bad on you and you've likely lost a customer but it looks bad on handmade candles in general.

I say this all out of love and understanding- I've been in your shoes. I think most of us started with the intent of paying for our hobby and making a nice nest egg on the side- but I must warn you its frustration, hard work, and patience that makes a nice candle- money? that comes later. Have people been successful- of course. But they worked for it...

Edited by LuminousBoutique

A year of solid testing - after that I went to market with 12 scents, I'm up to many more now of course.

Hers just a quick guide for you if it helps...

Say you want to offer up 12 scents to begin with, in three jars. Here is how I'd suggest getting that started

Lets assume (this is just an example..) you'd like to do a 7oz tumbler, an 11.5oz tumbler, and an 8oz tin.

Now select your waxes to test... in soy you have many choices but lets just say you try c-3 and 464 or 444... 50lbs of each at least for testing.

Now wicks. For each container, you're likely going to go through at least 2- at LEAST.. but likely 4. Lets just for examples sake go with cotton core and HTP

You'd pour 4 candles per wax, in each jar size, with the different wicks. So for example:

8oz tin: suggested wicks

cotton core: c-80, c-85. htp: 83, 93

you'd pour four candles per wax, with these wicks, and burn them start to finish- no frag, you're just looking for a good burn. So when you're done with that and you've determined which wick works best in your container with no frag, you move on to frag testing. Here's where it gets complicated.

Some fragrances require a smaller wick, some larger. I suggest going with your wick you decided on in the no-frag test, but you need to burn that candle from start to finish, all 60 hours. If you have any burning issues, you know you need to wick up or down from there. Good note taking comes in here- if you keep great notes you'll never have to second guess yourself.

You CANNOT guess what a fragrance will need. I've had scents completely shock me.. scents I thought which would be fine need a larger wick and choke out halfway through the burn- which again is why a full burn is important.

If you properly test 12 fragrances, in two different waxes, with two different wicks (you're looking for scent throw too, which wax and wick provides the best and strongest scent)... thats ALOT of test jars. But its so very worth it. Those notes, that knowledge you gain, and the frustration pays off.

ooh.. edited to add this video CS put out recently.. thought it was a good starter video! http://www.candlescience.com/video/choosing-the-right-wick-size.php

Edited by LuminousBoutique
edited to add link to video..

very true :smiley2:

how long did it take you to find a blend that you're comfortable with?[/]

One wax, wick, jar combination does not exist.

I only offer two jar sizes. 8 oz jelly jars and 9 oz lug jars. My wax is a personal blend of soy and paraffin. Same wax for every candle, but not all candles get the same wick. Different fragrances need different wicking. If I get a fragrance from a different company than usual the wicking may change too. I'm experiencing this a lot now as I'm phasing out one supplier's oils and trying to find suitable replacements.

A hobby can't "pay for itself" unless you're selling. While a business plan is great and necessary, so is a great (and safe) product. A significant investment is required for research and development.

how long did it take you to find a blend that you're comfortable with?

Well, when I started out in 2002 - with soy - it was pretty new. I had never made a candle before and I didn't know shit from shinola as they say. I didn't realize that different FO will have an effect on the way a candle burns. I didn't realize that hot throw is not a sure thing. I could go on and on.

I certainly didn't test as much as I should have. In short, I did all of the things you shouldn't do. I wish i had found the forums earlier.

I got frustrated and quit for awhile, then went back to it and I'd say within a year I had something I felt comfortable with.

this is very small scale, though. I really still consider it a hobby and work full time as a nurse.

what I enjoy most right now is creating different things. I make jewelry, incense, perfume oils, candles, soap, etc.

If you figure out how to make a profit in the beginning with a safe quality candle, please let me know the secret. I'm down a few thousand dollars...lol.

Welcome to the board :)

Best advice? start reading and researching.

I with you on that statement....lol...oh how true it is.

Like Nancy, I'm a nurse. That's what pays for my candle making! :laugh2:

:cheesy2: - I hear that!

Actually, now I'm to the point where my biz pays for itself, and I keep putting the money back in. I don't draw a salary. I'm looking into moving to a bigger location. I'd like to take on some consignment stuff. I've been in my shop for 2 years now and it's just fun. as long as it's still fun, I'm there..

I don't think it takes a year of testing to get it right unless you want it to. You really don't have to know how every wax performs, just the ones your are interested in. You can test every wax if you want but I would test a couple from the closest supplier to you.

When I started I used 1 wax for jars and 1 wax for votives and made about 15 scents. I started in the spring, tested over the summer and was selling in the fall. Then I started adding scents, changing jars and about 2 years in moved from paraffin to soy.

Once you know how your wax of choice works and how to wick it, just test each new scent top to bottom in each jar (I usually pour clamshell tarts first and then pour a couple of each size jar in that scent if I like it enough to think about carrying it). I rarely have to change wicks from my normal but it does happen and that is one reason I test.

I have been selling for 9 years and have made a profit every year but the very first even if a couple of those years it was not a large amount. You just need dedication, enough cash to start in a big enough way to do all the testing and a lot of hours in the day to burn those candles...and loyal customers, lots of places to sell or a way to drive customers to your site (I'm obsessed with staying on page 1 for wholesale soy candles-lol) and insurance - get that insurance in place as soon as you start to give out candles even if they are freebies.

Have fun!

You need a cat. A smart cat. A cat that can help you. My cat, Einstein, helps the labels eject from the printer. She also is a big fan of wicks on a roll and likes to make sure they are soft and flexible. Oh, and she helps with the packaging.

She doesn't like the test burning which is good, I don't want her near those. She also has no opinion on FO's, but she does like the catnip EO.

You need a cat. A smart cat. A cat that can help you. My cat, Einstein, helps the labels eject from the printer. She also is a big fan of wicks on a roll and likes to make sure they are soft and flexible. Oh, and she helps with the packaging.

She doesn't like the test burning which is good, I don't want her near those. She also has no opinion on FO's, but she does like the catnip EO.

See? This is what happens. Making candles makes people lose their minds :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Welcome to candlemaking! I love it. It started out as a hobby for me and then quickly started to take a business route! This past christmas was our second christmas that we have been in business and we finally got out of debt to the candle business. The business now supports itself, and we have a little extra even. I think that if we paid ourselves and deducted the electric and some other expenses it would be questionable if we "made money" but it is still a hobby too, and since I love to make them, I havent counted every single cost. I am sure that too, will change in time. So, moral of the story, lol, it does take time and lots of $$$$ . I found some really good deals on craigslist when I was just getting started, ppl were selling out LOTS of candlemaking stuff, you may want to check there for good deals on supplies, etc to save some $$. Good luck and have fun w/ it. It will all come together in time:)