How many of you....

Pour in repurposed/found containers? I stopped into a small thrift store yesterday that had an enormous selection of glass. I ended up buying some tumblers and crocks. I was tempted by some cute coffee cups, but held out. I didn't get anything odd shaped, or with too large or small a diameter, so I don't think wicking them will be an issue. Now, I'm wondering how to test. With my other candles I have designated tester jars. If the diameter is the same as another container I've tested, do I still need to test each tumbler. Just wondering.

If I were pouring just for myself I probably would try all kinds of containers and glassware.

But for selling I only use new glassware as its the safest. Don't want to risk using something that I have no idea what kind of previous treatment, temps, pressure, etc, it has experienced or been exposed to. Glass is sensitive and can crack or produce fissures under stress conditions. Don't want to take the chance of using any unknown glass containers. I also won't do refills for the same purpose.

I'm pretty sure you will due to the fact that some of the glass may be thicker, thinner, or in the case of crocks, not glass at all. They all conduct heat at different rates, and I'm pretty sure you know what that means. Hang-up or too hot, etc., you catch my drift.

I see this becoming a hotly debated thread. So I'm :tiptoe:

Edited by IwantItgreen

I did only buy thicker tumblers, no thin glass at all. The crocks were so cute, I couldn't pass them up. My oldest daughter, who takes zero interest in my business (though it's partially named for her) even stopped and said, "Those would look cute as a candle." *shock* I could just pour them for my own use, I suppose.

Is it comfortscents who pours in vintage containers?

To my way of thinking, there's no point in testing a container I can't get more of for a very long time. Too much waste in testing only to find the containers are no longer available.

And yes, each container style/type/size/whatever must be tested.

I've done the same thing, but with new glassware. Think "oh, these are so cute" and pick up a dozen. Then start testing in a few and the rest are still sitting on the shelves because the logistics just don't work out.

Keep in mind, I'm not a container person though. I don't have the base skills of which wicks will work decently in my wax in what size jars and such. Each time is starting from scratch and I pull my hair out every time...lol

To my way of thinking, there's no point in testing a container I can't get more of for a very long time. Too much waste in testing only to find the containers are no longer available.

And yes, each container style/type/size/whatever must be tested.

I agree

Remember that most glassware at the dollar store are seconds or worse. I bought a bunch of really thick Libbey juice glasses from the Dollar Tree and once they got hot, they nearly exploded. I still have about thirty of them in the corner of the shop. It was fun in the beginning to hunt for bargains but I got over that and went for dependable, available and cheaper glassware. HTH

Steve