My accidental House Party

Wessex

OK, funny story. This past Saturday I went over to my brother's house for my niece's 15th birthday party. Figured I had given her enough money for presents over the years (easy out - "for the car fund", LOL), so decided to give her a wax melter and some tarts. Had no clue what color of melter or scents she would like, so took 5 melters and about 25 scents (1 clamshell and 2 tarts of each). We are sitting around after dinner and I brought the stuff in from the car so she could decide what she wanted. Ended up getting rid of all melters and about 2/3 of the clamshells and tarts. There was my niece, SIL, stepmom, SIL's mom amd SIL's aunt there and they just went to town! Looked like a pack of hyena's on a zebra carcass, LOL! Of course I did not charge my niece or stepmom, and only charged cost to the others. But they tried their best to pay full price. I just did not feel right charging money to family (and almost family members). Oh, and I had a Plumeria candle for my stepmom, and some others that had been riding in the car, and those disappeared, too!

Man, I REALLY want to have a real house party now :smiley2:! Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. And my family pulls no punches, so if they did not like something, they would have told me. But at least one of every scent was taken. Oh, and the Oakmoss and Amber that has been discussed lately was a hit.

Cheers,

Steve

That's awesome that they loved your stuff.

You didn't ask my opinion, so I'll give it, ha! I would get over quickly not charging family for your products. I tried that with my bath and body stuff and they bled my stock dry and then began to expect it. Now I have a 20% family discount...that's it. It made some mad, but whatever!

I have to agree, give them a discount and that's it. They will get used to getting the stuff at price and will be your biggest customers because of it and you wont be making any money.

It's exciting isn't it? I remember when my family was excited for me now they tell me I don't need anymore candles, lol..

That's great, Steve. I'm going to chime in with the others because your family (and their connections) can be your best customers in the future. I opted a long time ago to charge regular prices but I always give tons of stuff to family and friends that buy from me. Everyone wins. The other option of a discount is good too.

I figured everyone would chastise me on the pricing, LOL. And I agree. But could not charge my niece, it was her birthday after all. Did not want to charge my stepmom. She is just coming back to normal after my Dad's death last year. It was my SIL party, so counted it as the Hostess Gift, LOL. And I told the others that the first taste is free if they send friends to buy! I have never done a House Party, but now I think I have the bug, LOL. I want more!!! Already planning ways to rope family members into hosting some parties! Yet another thing on my plate, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

BTW, when I was at my stepmom's house a few weeks ago, I found about 6 of my candles around her house. Apparently she had found one of my retail accounts and paid full price. Never asked me for freebies or discounts! Gotta love the woman, LOL!

Edited by Wessex

BTW, when I was at my stepmom's house a few weeks ago, I found about 6 of my candles around her house. Apparently she had found one of my retail accounts and paid full price. Never asked me for freebies or discounts! Gotta love the woman, LOL!
What a wonderful person. That says a lot about her character!

Wonderful for you!

I, too, often use the 'first taste is free' method when rolling out new products, then follow with friends and family discount after that if the new product makes it to market. Everyone wins.

Often my best customers give their freebies to their friends who have not tried my line yet. This usually results in new loyal customers.