First Scentsy Experience Ever...

Bernadette

...and 2 in 1 day!:shocked2:

We have our house sprayed once a month as we live in the desert. Our pest guy came this morning. He knows I make candles and loves the scents he smells in here. To make a long story short, he says he's afraid of candles because he'd forget to blow them out, and then mentions Scentsy. So I said, "Oh, you're talking about melts", told him I made them, and when I told him what I charged, he's going to be getting his tarts from me from now on, for him and his Mom.

Then this afternoon, our son brought over the grandkids because our GS has a fundraiser going on at his school. It's all Scentsy! $30.00 for a full sized warmer, AND if you wanted the warmer WITH tarts, it was $60.00!!!:shocked2: Wow! Amazing... that's all I can say...:tiptoe:

My question exactly...I've never seen a Scentsy pack of tarts(amazing, huh?). I have no idea how many are in a pak, or how they are marked. The sheet that came with the packet for ordering had minisual pics of all their warmers and their animals, a list of scents(which, by the way, how the heck to you know what you're ordering when they have names like French Kiss, or (something like)Birth of Issac Newton?), and the $60 price said full sized warmer and 5 melts - not paks. So did they mean 5 melts, 5 paks of melts? Who knows. It did say you could mix scents, though.:laugh2:

Edited by Bernadette
grammar

It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure their melts come in clamshell-like packs...

But wow that's a really high price!!

Oh yeah, and this was an official Scentsy print out page. Plus you didn't get charged shipping but there was 8.1% sales tax!:shocked2: For where? Idaho? We don't have 8.1% sales tax here!

You shouldn't have to pay that 8.1% tax since schools are tax exempt. I didn't know they did fundraisers too.

I figure we can't be hating people that sell scentsy, they are trying to make a living like us. With the economy like it is, I'm seeing more people want to have parties instead of buying so they can get free stuff. If anything we should look at it like an advertisement for our candles, scentsy is making candles more popular which in turn is helping us out.

Edited by mindy5140

You shouldn't have to pay that 8.1% tax since schools are tax exempt. I didn't know they did fundraisers too.

Schools in NY have to pay sales tax on all fundraisers, they are not tax exempt! It changed several years ago.......damn state government has to get their money ya know!!

Well, it's not the sales tax I'm objecting to...it's that it's 8.1%. Our county is 6.85%. I wonder if it's because the rep lives in an 8.1% county.:confused: I didn't know they did fundraisers either. First I heard of it. Guess they're trying to take over!

Edited by Bernadette

The tarts they sell come in six pack clamshells similiar to what many of us use, but, they redesigned their packaging to where they are more like an hourglass shape kind of thing. I'm guessing so people didn't confuse the handmade ones from theirs. Like the price difference would be a dead give away. Anyway the one's I've seen were 5 or 6.00 a pack (that has 6 tarts in it). I wasn't aware they were doing fundraisers either. I can't imagine they would be too overly popular at their prices. Yeah you're gonna have the ones that will only buy that brand b/c they have been convinced that their's are superior to any out there and that they will only work in their warmers...which is BS by the way. I complain about some of the prices I've seen with the usual fundraiser things, but, this by far is the most expensive I've personally seen.

I have no problem with their reps trying to make a living, what rubs me wrong is the attitude that so many of them have. Just based on my personal experience with their reps at shows, they have been snobby and sometimes down right rude. The dirty looks you get all day long from them and the fact that they tell people that only their melts will work in their warmers. Many of us know for a fact that is BS. But the normal consumer doesn't and if you have to deceive your customer to make a sell that's poor business ethic.

I think many of us have had increased sales on our own melts b/c of them flooding the market and in a way educating consumers on what melts/tarts are. And I think alot of us get annoyed by them showing up at shows that are marketed as hand made crafts only. It's really annoying to those of us that have to jump through hoops to prove we actually made our products by having to provide pics and then they allow people in who obviously are just reselling something that was mass produced. But it is what it is.

I think many of us have had increased sales on our own melts b/c of them flooding the market and in a way educating consumers on what melts/tarts are. And I think alot of us get annoyed by them showing up at shows that are marketed as hand made crafts only. It's really annoying to those of us that have to jump through hoops to prove we actually made our products by having to provide pics and then they allow people in who obviously are just reselling something that was mass produced. But it is what it is.

:highfive:

Well, my pest guy said he really loves to have them going all the time, but thing with Scentsy is that they only last 8 hours(per him) and that gets pretty expensive @ $6.00/pak(per him). Additionally, he said he had to put 2 in each time to get the scent to throw. Most of the homes out here are ranches, with very open floor plans and cathedral ceilings, so you need something strong to get the scent moving thru the house.

Right now I use a tealight tart warmer(because it was made by Native Americans in an original, one of a kind design). I use the cra==y Chinese made tealights you buy in the store. Each one of those tealights burns for 3 hours. I can use 6 tealights to a 1 oz. melt of my own, so that's 18 hours/melt. I'd say that's better than Scentsy.

I did order one of their melters. I want to see how mine burn in them since I read the other thread about Scentsy in wickless. Just for info, the pest guy said when he puts 2 Scentsy melts in his Scentsy melter, he has wax that never melts, so it sounds like there is a problem with them.:tiptoe:

I can use 6 tealights to a 1 oz. melt of my own, so that's 18 hours/melt. I'd say that's better than Scentsy.

Mine burn about the same I think.. I thought it was bad with my throw dying out after 4 days for a 2 oz melt.. (burning almost all day) but only 8 hours for scentsy??? Yeah that sucks. :laugh2:

Just discovered this wonderful board! Hello to you all! I am a "sort-of" newbie to this wonderful world. This spring I will be heading into my second official craft show year. I have been in shows where there are Sentsy reps (usually the school PTO shows). I have even had the reps come to my table and ask me to NOT sell my tarts. I do mine in the usual 6 cavity clamshells.

Just throwing my 2 "(s)cents(y) in:

I have purchased sentsy tarts to compare. The home-made ones that we make seem to throw stronger and longer than the commercially made ones.

I have loyal customers who use my tart in their Scentsy warmers. They like mine much better. They say the fragrances are truer. The scentsy fragrances are too artificial smelling. I have found that most of the commercial candles have that powdery finish. You can always tell a great hand-made product from a commercially made one anyway. '

In my brief experience I have learned that there are some individuals who are "brand committed" and are under the impression that anything hand made is inferior. They are the ones will never be customers of ours. They will never see the merit in what we do or appreciate the attention to quality and detail that goes into all we create.

It is great that your exterminator is purchasing from you. From that, you may get other of their "scentsy" friends. A woman I knew became a Scentsy rep a year ago, she has given it up because like most of the other home party gigs, the markets are over-saturated." Too many people are looking to supplement their income which has created a glut of sales reps and not enough buyers. At least in my area anyway.

I am thrilled to have found this wonderful board and look forward to posting with you all!

I am getting ready to start testing tarts. I am a soaper. I bought some of KY's parasoy to test. I also purchased one of Scentsy's plug in warmers to test it in. I figure that most of my customers will be "Scentsy" owners and I can say that I test my tarts in a scentsy warmer, etc.

Susan

In my brief experience I have learned that there are some individuals who are "brand committed" and are under the impression that anything hand made is inferior. They are the ones will never be customers of ours. They will never see the merit in what we do or appreciate the attention to quality and detail that goes into all we create.

First off welcome to Craftserver!

The way to deal with customers that only buy from well known companies is to show them how well your tarts burn. Take it as a challenge. Have a warmer going at your show with one of your tarts burning. Thats how you show them how wonderful they are and how they compare to what they are used to buying. Works every time!

Edited by Candybee

I have a Scentsy warmer, hate their scents, I have a Gold Canyon warmer, love their scents but not near as good as their candles and I have a PartyLite warmer and love their tarts although they just changed their packaging/pricing. Gold Canyon comes in little plastic containers so you can't necessarily burn them on one of the others. PL tarts burn just fine in Scentsy warmers but not in gold canyon without the adapter. BTW, Gold Canyon came out with a little ceramic adapter to place on their warmers to burn oil in. Can't wait to start making my own and comparing!!

Shanda