At what time do you get going?

Ravens

I mean get going with wax playing. I usually start around 5 a.m., by checking on new orders, then give one last inspection to all I have to ship later on in the morning.

Last thing I do at the end of my day is the inventory - but if I have a slow day, I usually skip that.

Can't recall any other work that got me so excited by 5 a.m. - ever! :laugh2:

Ok, time for coffee

I decided a long time ago to stick to a regular work week and schedule. So I basically work from 9-5 on weekdays.

That allows me to do morning chores, pet and feed my kitties, drink my coffee or tea, and have some me time before I begin. I only allow myself to turn on the wax meltor to have wax ready when I begin my work day. At the end of the work day I finish up what I am doing and make it as close to 5pm as I can. Then I make myself stop, fix dinner, relax, whatever.

The hours aren't written in stone and I can change when there is a rush order or busy days and I need more work hours. But for the most part working a regular work day/week works for me.

The reason I chose to do this is so I don't burn myself out or get overly stressed. Before I made a schedule and stuck with it I tended to work much longer hours, made lots of mistakes, and would go to bed exhausted and stay exhausted for days.

I don't have a schedule. If I wake up at 2:00 a.m. and feeling like melting wax or printing labels or whatever, that's what I do. I worked for "the man" long enough and I'm no longer interested in schedules. My store is open 4 days a week. That's more than enough scheduled time for me. I don't make candles at my store.

I don't do rush orders, either. Or special orders. I do whatever I want whenever I feel like doing it.

Life is good.

I don't have a schedule. If I wake up at 2:00 a.m. and feeling like melting wax or printing labels or whatever, that's what I do. I worked for "the man" long enough and I'm no longer interested in schedules. My store is open 4 days a week. That's more than enough scheduled time for me. I don't make candles at my store.

I don't do rush orders, either. Or special orders. I do whatever I want whenever I feel like doing it.

Life is good.

Love it!:)

During the week I'm usually up by 5am pack any orders that I might have, slice any soaps from the day before etc...I don't make anything in the mornings, not enough time. Get to work 8:30am and spend way too much time on the internet, good thing I'm not watched closely at work...yikes! Get home around 6pm eat and start making products till 10ish. Spend most of my day Saturday, making, packing, labeling and anything I couldn't get done during the week. Try to take some time off on Sunday but usually end up doing something related to this obsession!:rolleyes2

I usually play with wax in the PM, anywhere from 8pm until 3am. I like working at night when all is quiet. I get up early, but spend time doing physical therapy and using my TENS unit. I like doing the wax stuff at night because by then my body is better able to deal with the standing and stuff. Alot of times I work on labeling and anything I can do seated in the wee hours of the morning up until the early afternoon. But then again, sometimes I pour in the early afternoon, too. So it all depends. Not much of an answer, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

I drop my son off at school at 8am, (get up at 6:30) so I'm usually home (after running from place to place for random things) by 8:30 and thats when I get started. I drop orders off at the PO at 2:30 so I can pick him up by 3, then I can work until 8:00 or so (off and on, with a break to cook dinner and play and all that) I basically work 12 hour days, 8-8. I work at night too, but mostly "busy work" labeling, wicking, packaging.. that kind of stuff I'll do from the couch so I dont lose my mind :P

Edited by LuminousBoutique

Do any of you that posted have other jobs outside the home? The reason I ask is that I have always done both and now (since Nov.) I am doing this full time. I need to make what my other job was bringing in in addition to what I was making with the candle business. So, I guess what I am asking is do you do this every day? Is there enough business to keep you busy 8 hours a day, 5 days a week? I am stressing because when I am at the computer, I feel I need to be pouring and when I am pouring I feel I need to be marketing, when I am marketing I feel I need to be making phone calls.....I can't seem to get a system down yet.

Life is good.

LOL, good for you; it sure must be nice. Congrats!

The hours aren't written in stone and I can change when there is a rush order or busy days and I need more work hours. But for the most part working a regular work day/week works for me.

The reason I chose to do this is so I don't burn myself out or get overly stressed. Before I made a schedule and stuck with it I tended to work much longer hours, made lots of mistakes, and would go to bed exhausted and stay exhausted for days.

This is what I hope to establish. I was getting home from work at 5:30, made dinner, etc. then start my candle "job" and work until 2:00am. Got 5 hours of sleep, then either start in on the candles again or go to work. I needed to slow down my life but now I am wondering if this will be enough......having seconds thoughts. Already gravitating towards the computer to much!

I don't have a set schedule either. I have another job where I work third shift so when I get home from work in the mornings I work some until it's time for my sleep (my job is very physical work) so I get tired. Sleep a few hours, get up take care of stuff around the house, run kids around etc and maybe if time permits and I'm not too tired work on the obsession some more. I usually do most of my work on the weekends when I can string more than a few hours of sleep together I'm more rested. I wash and wick cases ahead of time and have most of my scents already printed on labels that I keep in a file folder so that helps me since I have such a crazy work/sleep schedule with some of the little things. I'm sure I could improve on my "schedule" but it works for me.

Ok, I have GOT to quit lurking and get to bed. I have to start my new schedule in the morning. 9:00 sharp I am in the candle shop! Well, it is Friday...should I start this on Monday? :rolleyes2 I can't believe myself.

I get up at the crack of noon!

Einstein, on the other hand, likes to play when the sun comes up. She's so warped.

I used to do the crack of noon on occasion...then ABCFamily stopped airing Gilmore Girls at 11am eastern...now my whole life schedule is screwed. The 5 pm episode doesn't get me through...:(