Is this "out of bounds" at a show?

Wessex

Hey All,

I have been invited to set up a table at a political convention in a couple of months. I thought it was kinda weird, but was informed that there are all kinds of craft people invited to sell there. I don't really want to do a show, but am thinking about it. My question is this: Would it be in bad taste to wear my uniform and hope it might improve sales? I am still in the military, just not on active duty at the moment. Since I am a one man show, the business is a disabled veteran owned business. I don't really want to try to drive business by appealing to peoples patriotism, but...any help is good, isn't it?

So is this "slimy" or a good "hook"? I can show off all my medals, LOL. (They really don't mean a thing to me personally, but look snazzy).

Thanks for any input.

Steve

All depends on the Uniform Regs for your branch of service and the restrictions that are in place by your commander.

That being said, and understand this is coming from a Marine, in my area it would not be the thing to do. Affiliating with a particular political party by being at their convention in uniform is against our regs.

Personally, I think wearing apparel from one of the Veteran's organizations would be just as helpful. A VFW jacket, a DAV polo are not as in-your-face as a full uniform with medals and still gets the point across.

Personally, it would turn me off. I appreciate all you do for this Country, more than words can express, but I wouldn't like to see you in a uniform selling your products.

It'd look like you're trying to score brownie points and boost your sales by wearing the uniform.... but then that is what you're trying to do, right? LOL

You think about it; how would you feel if a friend of yours wore the uniform trying to pull at someone's sense of patriotism, but you knew he/she was really using it for ulterior motives? I know I'd be embarrassed, but that's just me.

My advice? Leave the uniform and the medals at home, and sell your products with the confidence of their worth. HTH :smiley2:

I am hearing from some of you what I am thinking..."slimy", LOL. I didn't think it would be a good idea, but someone asked me to do it (to advance their agenda I'm sure, damn politicians LOL). So I am going to decline the uniform part, and probably the whole table.

Thanks guys for "having my back" on this.

Cheers,

Steve

Well, I'm not even sure I want to do shows. Don't have any displays, etc. Still not really comfortable in crowded situations (no, it's not PTSD, just normal readjustments). But, hey, could be fun. Just need to find a helper (physical limitations). Dang, now I'm gonna have to go looking for displays, table cloths, etc, LOL.

Thanks guys.

Steve

I come from a family where almost all the men have been or is currently in various branches of the military. I don't think I would ever see any of them in uniform to sell anything. A t-shirt or jacket with your military branch on it would be great tho!!

If you have one, bring a photo album of you dressed up and serving your country!!

Edited by WendyByTheBay

I know many people in the service who wear uniform to certain events, even if they are just attending. They (and you) have earned the right to wear them. Yes, some people might be turned off, but, you are at a political event! Great opportunity to be recognized for your contribution, I say!

Also, if people ask about the uniform it would be a perfect time to mention you are a disabled vet... as long as you don't open with, "Get your disabled veteran candles here!!", I think it would be fine. JMHO on what I would feel if I were a customer at such an event.

I was basically asked to do a table, and "oh, by the way, could you wear your uniform" was thrown in, LOL. Like I said, I think this politician was looking to make himself look good. But at least I was asked to do the table BEFORE they found out I was a combat vet. So at least there is that. Please don't get me wrong, I would not use my service for personal gain (well maybe at a bar :smiley2:). Probably did not even need to ask the question, but too late now, LOL. Maybe I will buy a "OIF/OEF Veterans cap", LOL.

Cheers,

Steve

So how about if you decide to wear the uniform you advertise that a certain % of the sales will be donated to disabled vets?

You can use the show to get yourself out there and recognized more so- giving back a percentage will cut into your total profit but who knows what it could lead to down the road...... I would not be turned off buying candles from a man in uniform if it was advertised that a portion of the proceeds would go back to the military in form or another.

Good Luck and thank you for serving our Country!!:cheesy2:

Sounds like its your call Steve. I'd go with my guts on this. If you are still feeling uncertain than don't wear it.

I think the donation is a nice idea. I'd recommend that you increase your price by the amount or percent that you would like to donate. Or you can set aside a donation basket and let folks make their own decision and not have it effect your sales. If you make a donation to say the VFW I think no one would complain. Then I think it would be appropriate to wear your uniform.

I feel that as long as you are not pushing ANY political agenda, then you could wear your uniform with pride. You have earned the right to wear it, no matter what you do...

I also do not think that using what you are for personal gain is a bad thing. Many people like to purchase candles that are hand poured, they prefer to support the 'little guy' because of the quality...

Having candles made by a veteran is just going the extra step- purchasing from someone who knows about loyalty, honesty and bravery. Someone who clearly gave up a lot. I think it is important to support those who do the right thing.

Obviously you guys know where I stand, but, I don't think that a service member should have to worry about something like this. You are who you are... and you ARE a veteran.

::jumps off soapbox::

with that being said, good luck with your decision!!:P

Steve - if you do decide to do the show, check out other people's photos of their displays. There are plenty of ideas on what you can use - that you may already have on hand - to use as displays. When we started out, we had small crates and boxes. Since then, my son has made us display shelves for our candles....which reminds me - I need to talk to him about our need for a soap display.....:laugh2:

Shows are my least favorite part of this business. I would be perfectly happy to make and sell to stores - but since we are not in a place to do that yet, shows are a necessary evil that I do to get our name and product out there. That is just me, though - most vendors look like they are having a great time and enjoy the camaraderie . Maybe if I wasn't working full time and then spending my weekends hauling candles everywhere, I might feel differently....:rolleyes2

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Jane

• 2 months later...