Let's talk sandalwood vanilla

Scented

AH/RE -- is weaker than what Day-Star had, but vanilla is going to soften everything.

I haven't looked at Day-Star lately, but I think they stopped carrying it. I thought it was a scent she once call turquoise.

So what are your thoughts on who has a good one?

Sweet Cakes?

Brambleberry?

MMS?

Elements?

or what other company?

The ones listed on the fragrance finder, I haven't tried the bulk of them.

Elements. It's a good balance between both the sandalwood and the vanilla, and it smells mighty strong! The vanilla part smells more sweet to me, but the sandalwood really tones it down, and it smells gorgeous in just about everything.

I've used BNL's for many years, but always tweaked it by adding some Cybilla's (at BB) Indian Sandalwood and a bit of CC's Vanilla Voodoo to make it stronger. When the latest bottle of Sandalwood Vanilla is gone, I'll just mix my own, as I can get a strong throw.

Thank you for the input all!

Perhaps mixing my own would be fun, but I just dropped $50+ on a pound of Sandalwood that I don't know if it will be exceptional, but I had to do it to fulfill an ordering requirement from Lebermuth and I'm looking for a good Sandalwood. I must say I would typically only spend that amount for straight patch EO and won't be looking for something quite as expensive as this was.

I'm on the stalk for a good sandalwood. I really like the Red Santal SS had, but with her GOOB, it's kinda pointless to hang onto stuff I don't know where to get.

I have ordered what appears to be an exceptionally good straight vanilla so if I could find the right counterpart ... whoo hoo!

Ab, don't you dare come here and tell me there wasn't a limit for members of that Handcrafters Guild, because there wasn't an option when ordering to even give that info until the note section and by then I had to spend the $150 first lol. I did let them know I'm a member so maybe that minimum is waived now ... fingers crossed.

Well, I haven't tried it, but in putting together an order for Nature's Garden I notice they have an 'Indian Sandalwood' and the reviews are unanimously positive. One reviewer recommended adding 'French Vanilla' to it.

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/ab-1/Indian-Sandalwood-Fragrance-Oil-.html

"Indian sandalwood fragrance oil is described as a warm, sweet, rich, woodsy fragrance."

And I don't know how close it would be to Bramble Berry's, but it is much less expensive.

Edited by Darbla

Another vote for Elements Vanilla Sandalwood. Very nice.

For a straight sandalwood I use Asian Sandalwood from Peaks. Very strong in M&P soap and candles. I love using it as a mixer too. Mix it 50/50 with Elements Patchouli Honey and yowzer.... mmmmmm... is that some good stuff!!

We just couldn't move the Asian Sandalwood, so I've been on a hunt for a sandalwood that didn't have a coconut note to it. Unfortunately, there haven't been many sandalwoods that have excited me much, but then sandalwood isn't patch either lol.

If NG has something other than its straight sandalwood, I might sniff it next time I'm in Ohio, but their straight sandalwood flopped here. Maybe I live in a hippy state!

NG's Indian Sandalwood has a powdery note to it. I found I did not care for it. But that's my nose...I prefer a woodier sandalwood.

Oregon Trails has Mysore Sandalwood - really smells like actual Sandalwood to me. Woody, kinda spicy, warm. It was not very strong in feather palm....but it was really nice in 4794.

Wellington's straight Sandalwood threw beautifully in 4794 - another woodier sandalwood. I think it might be a good mixer with a Vanilla.

I have not yet tested Sandalwood Vanillas other than BCN's which was nice....but I think it would be fun to mix your own...there are soooo many Vanilla FOs available now that you could come up with a brand new twist on the usual "Vanilla" and Sandalwood scent. Vanilla Bean or Vanilla Extract (NG's is nice) or even Vanilla Lace (CS) and Sandalwood?

Good suggestions. I appreciate it! Definitely need to find a cheaper but good Sandalwood though. This one is quite woodsy, but it just isn't that economical in my mind. It's actually the most expensive FO I own at the moment. I should put it in a safe ha!

I think the one Elements is from Flickers. I didn't like it, too powdery.

I loved Vanilla Sandalwood from Southern Soapers. I'm hoping to find something similar.

Has anyone tried SweetCakes sandalwood, I was just looking at that. It's really expensive but wondering if it is strong and can be used at a lesser %.

How about SGS's sandalwood? Has anyone tried that one...and has anyone tried both SC and SGS and can compare? I know I don't ask for much huh?

Yes I do agree scented that RE is very week. Ugggg why did SS have to close??

I put some of Sweetcakes Sandalwood Vanilla in lotion bars (just try outs for me!). Like the scent, subtle. I haven't tried it in CP, it runs about 4.80/oz. I've bought Sandalwood f/o from WSP, BB, SS, SC and CG, I like them all, but haven't tried them all in CP, I already made 2 batches of BB's Sandalwood Vanilla and just sent one batch in for their Swap. I've used it in Whipped Body Frosting, lotion and made perfume with it. I also did a batch of CP in their Indian Sandalwood, really nice.