Which is the most common pillar burning problem?

Which of these errors does the pillar-burning public make most often?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these errors does the pillar-burning public make most often?

• Burning for too-short periods, causing tunneling and drowning.
    • Burning for too-long periods, causing large flames and soot.

I would say that burning too long might be the most common mistake (along with not trimming the wick), but tunneling is the biggest problem because it can be hard to recover from. In commercial design, it might be better to wick robustly to prevent that rather than worrying about marathon burns. Long burn times aren't as likely to render the candle unusable. Large flames and soot are something the user can recover from by trimming the wick and not burning as long.

While too short may cause more problems, I would guess too long is more common. I was the same way...lol
I suspect you're right. I've been thinking though about which I'm more concerned about from a design point of view. For my own use I'd probably wick for 4 hour burn times, but after seeing how robustly wicked some high end commercial candles can be, I suspect I understand the thinking behind it. Wicking to consume in 3 hour burns is insurance against tunneling. If someone's wick drowns out, even if it's their fault, it's a dead candle and you're more likely to have a person who's disappointed with your product.