? on products for craft shows

mtt

I haven't done a craft show for a while and wondering if this is to tacky to do at a show. I do alot of boutiques and sometime when I get things back my product get damage or if they had the candles by a window where the sun was on them they have turned color, just on the side of the jar that was facing the window. Or the votives gets nicked up. Oh I use soy wax. Can you have one side of the table to mark things down to sell, the candles smell wonderful,still burn great they just look funny. And what would you call them? rejects, mistakes????? Or do I wait and sell them in a garage sale. Just do not want to hold on to them all winter. Any ideas??????

I save those for my farmer's market or smaller shows, especially in less affluent areas and do a big basket with mystery grab bags for $5. I tend to not put them out in the more affluent areas just because in those areas it seems to drive customers away.

On the sign & labels for the grab bags I put that there is typically $15-20 in products that might be nicked, discolored, discontinued, leftover last season and/or "oops" items in the bags. When talking to customers I just explain that sometimes I have things that get nicked from customers handling them or colors that just don't come out right or have faded over time but the product still smells/function great so it is a shame to just throw it away because there is often too many for me to use personally and I need to clear the shelves to have room for new season stock. They typically sell out at every show I bring them to. I know I am barely covering cost on most of those items but I am at least making back $$ on otherwise unsaleable items so I can turn that $ into needed materials for the upcoming season. It is working beautifully because I now have space on my shelves for silly season stock so I am not making myself nuts trying to keep up.

Edited by mparadise

I always have a "clearance" section at my craft shows, but I put it at the back of my booth and off to the side away from the "good" stuff. Most often people have always purchased things then turn to leave and say "oh here's some clearance stuff" and buy some of it too.

This is how I sell off my discontinued or discolored candles. I mark them down or sell at 1/2 off and peeps love to grab a good deal. Like someone else mentioned it helps you get back the money you invested in them. I don't mix them in with my new stuff. I have a seperate display or box with a sign set up for them.

I have gotten MANY people that had purchased some of my discontinued items, either in the grab bags or individually, that have become very steady repeat customers. When they bought the discounted item they did not know me and were leary of spending lots. The lower priced item opened that door and allowed me to walk right in with the more expensive stuff the next time. WELL worth it to me.