Is there any benefit to doing this?

lovemylabs

I've been searching, but haven't come across a thread for this yet. So, if it's here, my apologies for asking again. Some may remember we made our first batch of cp soap over a month ago, I posted a pic and it was Lavender and kinda "light lavender/grayish". We made another batch last week with a different recipe. We used Honey Almond from MMS and so far it looks and smells wonderful and we poured a two layered loaf...only a little ash on top. But pleased so far. We're about to make our third batch today. Here's my question: We were talking about the different characteristics of the soap recipes so far. We too have books we've read, and one suggests that if you want a particular characteristic/quality of your finished soap to stand out, add that particular oil last. So if we wanted our soap to be more bubbly, add that particular oil last...more mild/then that particular oil last, a harder bar...then that oil last. In that way the oil we put in last will only be "consumed" so much and allow the "left over" to stand out. Does that make sense? Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys

Alot of people do that they hold out 5% of a particular oil that they are superfatting with most hold out the Castor oil for bubbles some hold out the shea butter. I have tried that when I first made soaps and several times got my soap in the mold with all the pretty swirls and there sits my Castor still on the counter.

Barbara

LOL Barbara, you and me both. :laugh2:

I tend to believe that holding some out until the end doesnt really change the science of soapmaking... the amount of lye provided will sap the amount of oils provided.... but if added at just the right moment I suppose it can make a difference so it doesnt hurt to try... just make sure you add it. haha.

I think it will make a very slight difference, hardly even noticeable. I do not think keeping out caster until the end will produce a more bubbly bar. I think it will have the opposite effect. Think about it, you have to saponify the castor to get fatty soap salts. Unsaponified castor is a thick oil with no bubbles.

Total hogwash. Even if you waited until the very last minute of a heavy pudding trace to add your most emollient oil(s) it will still be mashed up with all the other ingredients and the lye bonds with what it chooses. The saponification process is not just the fact of a pudding trace. You put the soap to bed or in the oven and it cooks/gels for the next several hours until the following day. All the lye has been used up and however much you superfatted did not turn into soap but who knows which of those oils didn't get transformed into soap? It's the fatty acid profile of the overall recipe or formula that determines soap qualities. IMHO.

Steve

It sounds as though it really won't make a difference. My thought is the same as Luminous Boutique...that the amount of lye in the recipe will saponify the oils and yield the same outcome. We're still very new at this, but when I read this, it seemed contrary to one of the other books. So, I thought I'd ask. Will stick with the basics until we get more experience. Thanks guys...can always count on you.