Headache from soy? Natural alternatives?

Greetings all...

I am new to this forum. I have been lurking without posting for the last couple of weeks… thought I would just jump in with this question/concern:

I have been making soy candles now for about 4 weeks.

Unfortunately, for about this amount of time my wife has had really bad migraines. :sad2:

My first thought was that the FO’s could have been doing it – I know many people are sensitive to such things... so...

I put them away for a few days (didn’t make or burn them) to see if that helped her out. It didn’t, but now I am thinking I should give it a couple weeks. Especially in light of what has happened:

She wet to the neurologist and she (the doctor) put her on a strict diet to exclude many things that are known triggers to migraines – and soy was on there. The Dr. mentioned that soy is a major cause of many headaches and allergic reactions for a lot of people. Of course she was talking about food – but I am sure that burning soy wax that we breathe in would fall into this category in some way, shape or form...

My question to all you seasoned “soy” candle makers out there – have you heard of either soy candles causing headaches – or scented candles in general being a major cause of them – either just burning them or making them?

I did a Google search on “soy” and “headache” – and the results were different – a lot of sales “bullet points” saying that ex-paraffin people switched to soy because it “helped” them with headaches – as opposed to burning paraffin? Also in the results were people selling soy based headache cure candles – candles that had EOs that would help with headaches.

I was more inclined to make soy because it seems to be in demand due to the “image/belief” that they are cleaner burning (I don’t know – and don’t want to start a debate with this thread :smiley2:).

Prior to making candles my wife and I would burn candles all the time – but store bought paraffin candles like Yankee or Circle-E without any problems.

Starting today I will completely put away all candles, candle making equip and supplies to see if that alleviates her symptoms – and next weekend I may make a few unscented soy candles and let them sit out and towards the end of the weekend burn them.

I hate to have to give them up, but obviously – the wife comes first :smiley2:.

I would rather not do a pure paraffin, so I will probably try Palm wax.

Does anyone know if RobNat 1226 is part of the “Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil”?

(And is this the company that makes it: http://www.cjrobinson.com/?)

If not, can anyone make a suggestion on a great container palm wax that is sold at a supply store in Dallas? I like and have been going to TayloredConcepts, and the RobNat is what they sell...

Thanks all for your help!

- Scott

I had days when I got headaches and/or stomach cramps working with soy. At first I didn't believe it was the soy because it would go away. But when I once again had my candlemaking days I would start having the pains all over again. When I make candles I make several cases at a time so I am really exposed to the wax. I also used to get skin rashes on my hands from handling the soy.

Its one reason I switched waxes. I've worked with parrafin, palm, and soy and only had the headaches, stomach cramps, and skin rashes when making soy candles. I assumed it was just me. I don't think it effects all soy makers. Probably just a small percentage like me-- and your wife.

Please don't think I am bashing soy. I worked with it for several years and love it and soy candles. I don't have a problem with burning soy candles at all. Just making them makes me sick and break out. :(

I don't know about the wax you mentioned. I use the Glass Glow container palm from Candle Science. It is made by grower members of the RSPO. CS also sent representatives overseas to inspect the grower member, factory, and process to ensure it was truly a sustainable palm wax. Haven't heard of any other supplier that went to that much trouble to please their customers.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks Candybee! Sorry to hear that...

Is the Glass Glow what you work with these days as a result of the headaches?

I will look and see if I can find it local to Dallas. Wanted to avoid shipping fees and wait times :-).

I am going to expiriment with the way I make, cure and burn the candles - to see if/what triggers it for her...

Once again - thanks for your help!

Take care...

I get frequent migraines (as does my DH) , but neither of us have had any problems working with soy, and that includes getting it on the skin. I do, however, have problems with some FO's. I can't handle most perfumes either. I have found I work better with one FO at a time, or at least complementary ones-and that goes for burning candles as well. I got a gift pack of cheap wally world candles once, I had to put them outside until I could take them back for credit-I can't even imagine burning them!!

I'm not sure how I would go about testing, but perhaps try putting away all of the FO's and pouring a scentfree candle or two and seeing if that bothers her. That way you can see if it is the wax or the FOs.

Edited by shessuchatart

My money is on the fragance oils. In most cases before becoming a candle maker, burning scented candles occasionally gave me headaches, but nothing compared to some fragrance oils I work with currently. The exposure rate of a scented candle is minor compared to working with the actual oils. I have a saturation point where if pushed I will get horrible headaches in addition to not being able to smell anything for hours!

I have heard this debate about soy allergies and candles - so I did some research. I have always told those allergic to soy not to use my candles if they suspect they would have a reaction. That being said -from what I have learned - soy is a FOOD allergy - created by the ingestion of soy protein - soy is EVERYWHERE, in almost everything we eat. Pull up a list and you would be floored. Chances of ingesting soy in foods is in my opinion is much more likely to cause a reaction. Additionally, the protein in soy that causes the allergic reaction, is from what I understand not present in soy oil (which is hydrogenated to make soy flakes). Does eating a doughnut cause a reaction? Chances are soybean shortening fried it!

Personally the smell of heated soy makes me nauseated as well if not scented in volume. It reminds me of the fryers in a fast food place and ever since I was pregnant that smell of grease has made me ill. LOL

Edited by Abbiepql
I can't spell!

Thanks all!

Last night I boxed up and sealed all candle supplies and equip... opened the windows and ran the fans... Will continue to air out the house tonight as well...

On Saturday, I will make a couple non-scented candles and burn them through Tuesday.

Wednesday, I will burn a scented one that I had already made...

Thursday I will make some more scented ones and see if any of those days cause issues.

I appreciate the feedback.

I have customers who are allergic to soy and soy-based products in any form including soy candles when they are burning. Headaches. asthma attacks. Hives...you name it...I have heard the details! Just because people consider a soybean "all natural" does not mean that it cannot do harm to individuals who are allergic. Being allergic does include the sense of "smell"...not just "touch" or "taste". I think you are taking the right steps to reevaluate your current processes. I commend you for thinking it through. :)

Advertising companies have marketed soybeans as "All Natural" and "Healthy" and for some reason, the American public translates that into Soybeans as "Harmless". Peanuts are "All Natural" but they certainly can cause allergic reactions. (Peanuts are a legume, like soybeans.)

I once had a conversation with a soy candlemaker who shook her head at me and said "Soy is all natural - it can't cause allergies." I was astonished. My little sister is allergic to soy-based products. Years of extensive and repeated allergy testing shows this. Along with repeated trips to the emergency room.

I have learned through this forum to think it through, to ask detailed questions, to not blindly believe that something is 100% Harmless just because it is vegetable-derived, to test, test, and keep testing....and above all...to really think about my role in consumer safety. So THANK YOU...to everyone here.

I have been making soy candles now for about 4 weeks.

Unfortunately, for about this amount of time my wife has had really bad migraines.

Because much allergy testing is accomplished by elimination and correlation, if your wife's symptoms began when you began making candles, all other factors being equal (seasonal allergies, new furniture, new car, new household cleaning products, etc.), I think it's safe to say that your new hobby is the culprit. While homeopathic treatments involve exposing individuals to low-level amounts of substances to desensitize them, this can be very hazardous in many individuals, depending on their symptoms and immune system. Continued exposure (even lower-level exposure) can cause her current sensitivity that triggers migraines to become more life-threatening and trigger asthma attacks or anaphylaxis.

Soy proteins are the usual culprit in soy allergy, as with many food allergies. Soybean oil contains no protein; thus, soy wax contains none from that source. Having said that, many health care professionals and alternative medicine folks ignore the huge array of industrial (and natural) chemicals that cause reactions in sensitive individuals. I have always resented the "greenwashing" hype used by individuals marketing "all natural" or "organic" products. EOs can produce just as severe reactions as do FOs, depending on the individual. Besides soybean oil (extracted from soybeans chemically with hexane and other noxious substances), there are other oils and substances contained in soy waxes that are not revealed due to statutory allowance of proprietary "trade secret formulas" in industry. Don't wanna get started on this one, as BP proved the point I have made ad nauseum about the right of individuals to know EXACTLY what is in ANY substance trumping the monetary interests of big corporations to keep "trade secrets."

Rather than try to narrow down exactly WHICH of the substances used (FOs, additives, waxes, dyes, etc.) is the exact culprit and/or under WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES (there's a HUGE difference in how many chemicals and fumes are released when making candles vs. simply burning them), to avoid more suffering on her part, it'd be best to find another hobby, IMHO. This one's a no-brainer to me.

Does anyone know if RobNat 1226 is part of the “Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil”?

Would that make a difference? If one is willing to use soy or paraffin waxes which contribute to greenhouse gases, support global corporate interests over human health, why should this matter? ;) Greenwashing hype ignores the 600 pound gorilla... ;)

to avoid more suffering on her part, it'd be best to find another hobby, IMHO. This one's a no-brainer to me.

Hmmm... Well it was her suggestion to try it (to narrow down the culprit). Together we burn candles all the time, and if burning a scented candle - whether it be soy, paraffin or palm *doesnt* cause issues, then we both will probably continue to do so - she buys/burns them all the time.

What if switching one thing changes things?

If that is the case, if it is the exposure to the raw materials or cooking them that is the problem, she suggested I make them in the garage - to see if that is a solution that works for us (solution meaning she no longer gets headaches at all).

If that it is not the case - meaning it is soy itself (either cooking or burning) - then I would switch to something that didnt cause issues - either paraffin or palm to see how that worked. Once again - all suggested by her.

I am a vegetarian going on 11 years now and for a while I bought a lot of soy-based imitation meat products - and she has always eaten a lot of them with me - she drowns her edamame (soy beans) and sushi in soy sauce and has never had a problem with ingesting soy - so I am unsure...

It is not a no-brainer to either of us to just stop without investigating in more detail or trying to find an alternative solution that works. But it is a no-brainer that if it is the issue and it cannot be fixed completely to her satisfaction (switching to paraffin or making them outside in the garage with the door open or both) - then yes we will stop...

As far as the other choices:

Would that make a difference?

To me, yes.

which contribute to greenhouse gases

When it comes to palm wax, I was more concerned with deforestation :)

I dont believe that my choice not to use palm wax will make any real difference, but it is about me being comfortable with the choices I make.

As far as paraffin, I was concerned with soot buildup on my walls (among other things). I am one of those who is under the impression that soy (vegetable wax) burns cleaner (just a belief).

Anyways... I apprciate your comments. :)

Thanks all!

Last night I boxed up and sealed all candle supplies and equip... opened the windows and ran the fans... Will continue to air out the house tonight as well...

On Saturday, I will make a couple non-scented candles and burn them through Tuesday.

Wednesday, I will burn a scented one that I had already made...

Thursday I will make some more scented ones and see if any of those days cause issues.

I appreciate the feedback.

This sounds like a good plan. If all goes well with this test, I would suggest introducing MAKING the candles with one FO at a time.

The main suggestion with all migraine triggers is "elimination". The diet you mentioned is probably the elimination diet, which works opposite of what it sounds like-basically, eliminate nearly everything then slowly introduce items back, one at a time (it sounds to me like you would start eliminating things one at a time, not the other way around). I would say it would work best to approach this the same way.

I see later you mentioned burning candles frequently-do you know what kind of wax they are? This might be a starting point as well.

I will say this about migraine triggers-they are weird, they are individual, and can change anytime they so choose. And they can be devilishly hard to pin down! I know this time of the year is bad for me with weather changes and allergies, but I don't know exactly what about the changes is evil (pressure dropping? pressure rising? more humidity because of more rain??). I can't stand most "synthetic" perfumes, but have poured several candles with various FO's (not EO's) and haven't had a problem. One would think the stronger FO's right in my face would be worse than the lady in the same aisle at the supermarket wearing perfume, but not so. This is why I'm suggesting working with one FO at a time, you might find it is one in particular (or it could very well be the wax too).

Thanks Shessuchatart...

The main suggestion with all migraine triggers is "elimination". The diet you mentioned is probably the elimination diet, which works opposite of what it sounds like-basically, eliminate nearly everything then slowly introduce items back, one at a time (it sounds to me like you would start eliminating things one at a time, not the other way around). I would say it would work best to approach this the same way.

Yes, it is elimination diet.

Remove all, and gradually add a single thing back in one at a time... Kinda like Stella mentioned, my wife's well being is obviously what's most important and I will do everything I can to make sure she doesnt get headaches. She is ok with me adding a single thing back in the mix to see how she reacts - until we can nail down something concrete (not me pulling out the big box of FOs and other stuff - and making a whole batch in the kitchen, etc...).

So far I have removed everything that could be the culprit. Before I even think about what that one thing is - I need to make sure her headache goes away while she is not on headache medicine. If/when that happens - I will introduce only one thing at first - an unscented soy candle. I guess I mentioned that I would make it and burn it, but to clarify I will probably make it real quickly in the garage on Sat, and burn it on Sunday.

If no problems, I will re-introduce one more thing - a premade scented candle and see how that goes...

As you mentioned, this is quite common - a dr. or dietician will do the same thing. I had really bad headaches for a long time, but I went through the elimination steps and after quite a while I determined it was Splenda. I cant touch the stuff.

I see later you mentioned burning candles frequently-do you know what kind of wax they are?

About 90% of the candles we burn are Yankee. The other 10% would be some off-brands for Target or something... These I had always assumed were pure paraffin - and they never bothered either of us.

Also, Stella mentioned "all things being equal" - but there are a few things else going on that I didnt mention (things that the dr. was more concerned about than candles), and it hasnt been exactly 4 weeks. I have been making the candles for closer to 6 weeks (and only on the weekends), and her headaches being about 4 weeks - every day (during the week as well).

I think the most imporant thing is to get all the stuff out of the way, and slowly introduce them back in - in very small doses and one at a time...

:)

Well,

I don't get headaches with soy candle making, but I do very little of it and pretty much never get headaches (or hangovers). For some reason, I seem to be blessed in this regard.

However, several years ago I went on a veggie diet to help lose weight and being a carnivore, I gravitated towards soy stuff. Soy burgers, etc.

I ended up 11 days in the hospital with acute pancreatitis. Unknown cause. Known causes are 45% alcoholism, 45% gall stones, 10 percent "other."

I then started reading about soy. Everything I read said soy products were safe (and good) for human consumption. However, rats and monkeys could expect pancreatitis.

We've been lied to by the soy industry and the FDA. If this product causes pancreatitis in monkeys (very little DNA difference from humans) then we can expect the same for us, eh?

I have no idea what that means for your wife or the headaches from smelling soy. Try switching to palm or paraffin and see if the headaches stop (or build a shed or tree house for your candles).

Wow, lots of great information on this post. One thing not mentioned yet is the construction of your home. Do you live in a drafty old house or in a new superinsulated house, or worst of all, a house insulated but without a fresh air exchanger? Also, what is the source of your fragrance oil? I have had high levels of chemical sensitivity for years. After I started making candles, I determined that I can tolerate many high-quality fragrance oils, but I can't expose myself to the Glade type air fresheners which make me sick. I don't know what is in them, but I just can't tolerate air fresheners or perfumes.

I also can't tolerate certain scents, like the "clean" scents. Maybe your wife is on fragrance overload. I keep my fo inside a big file cabinet and when the drawers are opened, the smell comes pouring out. My house is very leaky so I can get away with it but if I had a cool place outside the house, I would put them there. I never make candles inside the house. When you make them in your kitchen, the amount of fo exposure is many times what you would get from a burning candle and depending on how good your ventilation is, you may have a lot of fo exposure all at once reinforced by smaller amounts from stored FO or burning candles. Not to get personal, but does she stay home all day or work outside the home? Are symptoms better when she gets away? That is how I figured out I had allergies.

Obviously your wife loves scented candles or she would not be suggesting the different elimination methods. It sounds like the first place to start is to move everything out to the garage, then air out the house really well. Wash the curtains and all other soft surfaces if possible as they absorb the smell and you may not notice. If the headaches go away, you start on your elimination methods. If the headaches don't go away, get a cat scan as a precaution.

One note on allergies-a person not allergic to things can become allergic, and allergies take many forms. Inhaled products can cause allergy as much as ingested ones. Just try breathing air where someone burned poison ivy. Another thing with allergies is that if a person is exposed to a lot of something, one more thing can push them over the edge to allergy. If your wife eats a lot of soy, adding soy candles to the mix might be too much. Paraffin isn't the wicked demon some folks make it out to be, and farming is very enviromentally destructive whether harvesting soy or palm. Most soybean farmers are huge conglomerates, not mom and pop farms, so the idea of supporting the American farmer is noble but not entirely accurate. Paraffin is a by-product of an industry that will probably exist for the rest of your life so you may as well use it. It is biodegradable and not considered to be toxic-they make Crayola crayons out of it, and put it in certain foods. I can send you a pound of paraffin if you want to try it.

Best of luck with this process and please do keep us posted!

Thanks EricofAZ & Coconut,

Sorry to hear about your pancreatitus :sad2:. I too had learned about the dangers of Soy - for me the jury is still out. And so many say it is a wonder food, and so many others say it isnt fit for human consumption... Still a vegetarian, but went sans soy years ago...

Coconut, we have a new house - just built it a little over two years ago so probably not drafty like an older house - but ventilation may not be good enough to make them inside.

She does leave for work all day, and her headaches were consistent all day everyday.

If I had to guess, it was probably the "making" of them - having the FO's out, cooking them, curing them all in the kitchen. Even though I made them on the weekends, I left a couple "Bird of Paradise" candles out over the week that was pretty intense.

Everything has been sealed up and put away, windows open and fans running - will wait it out to see how she feels - If I continue, will make them in the garage, and keep/store the FOs out of the way... (a lot of exposure to strong/multiple/concentrated FOs may just be it).

Oh, and we did a CT scan - all was good - thanks for suggesting...

And thank you so much for the offer for the paraffin - I appreciate it!

My first candle was paraffin, I bought a kit from hobby lobby to try it all out and it came with a paraffin block. It actually looked/burned very nice - the body of the candle had a nicer glow becuase it allowed more light through than the soy wax.

The more I have learned about soy and paraffin, the less apprehensive I am to using praffin or sold on using soy (black soot still has me worried). The guy I get my supplies frm reccomended I do a 80/20 blend - he said it would help with the consistency and scent throw.

What kind of paraffin do you use? As a sales point, I see people say "food grade paraffin" which sounds much nicer! :-)

Thanks again all... :)

and her headaches being about 4 weeks - every day (during the week as well).

Ok, this sends red flags for me, although since she's already seeing a neuro I'll not over react. Learn about "Status Migrainous" and also rebound headache. Not to go TOO off topic, but status can be dangerous (sustained migraine attack lasting more than 72 hours without a break, not including sleep). And rebound or MOH (medication overuse headache) can be a real bear to deal with and is caused by continued constant use of a pain killer. If you search for "migraine forum" on yahoo, there is one on health central that has a number of migraine experts and sufferers there to offer support and non-medical advice. I can't recall if you ever mentioned she suffers from migraine vs headache, but even if they aren't migraines she might find some help there.

Yes, it was for us too - we were really worried - that is why she went to her Dr. first, then the neurologist and had the scan. Scan turned out ok.

She doesn’t take any medications (no prescriptions), if her headache is real bad she will take some Excedrin. Even the migraine medicine the Dr. gave her, she didn’t take (don’t know why) she just doesn’t like to take meds.

There were a few things the Dr. was worried about, namely an increase in stress at work (she manages a lot of people, with a significant increase in workload), lack of sleep (we have three children all under 5) and some mild depression - so the Dr. suggested she do her best to eliminate some stress at work, go out with friends and get like 10 hours of deep uninterrupted sleep. And that was the one time she actually felt better. It only lasted a day though, back to the grind and the symptoms came back.

We're optimistic though :)

Outlawsfh, if you are worried about soot, maybe you should go wickless. Any fuel that burns with a flame produces gases, whether it is white soot or black soot or invisible. Think about it-where does that disappearing wax and oil go? That is why unvented heaters are a very bad idea. Modern homes are buttoned up so tight that there is no air exchange unless you open the windows, or run your HVAC with a specially installed heat exchanger. If it is not hot or cold and you have the HVAC off but no windows open, no fresh air is coming in. In my house I have jalousie windows so I have ample fresh air all the time!

You definitely want to move the operation to the garage. I make candles outside in the lanai and you can smell it hundreds of feet away. I let them set up outside and then put lids on them so they are not so strong in the house.

I use container blend paraffin wax, J50 and 4630. Both are IGI waxes. I don't know if they are "food grade" or not, but they are blended waxes with additives already in so I wouldn't eat them. According to the Nation Candle Association, paraffin is not toxic and no one wax is better than another (http://www.candles.org/about_faq.html). I choose to use paraffin for exactly the reason you mention-deforestation. Also I grew up in soybean farming country and I can tell you that it is not an eco-friendly process. In fact, the fields are exposed to an awful lot of chemicals-herbicides and fertilizers both. (I am an organic gardener). I use paraffin because the oil industry is not going away, and paraffin is a natural by-product of it. Since it is already being produced, I would rather use it than have cropland taken up with producing candle wax. Again, not to ignite the paraffin vs. soy battle, but I like to look at the big picture when making my decisions.

I don't know anything about migraines, so I don't know how long it takes to get rid of them once you get them. Here is a page where a lot of people talk about smells triggering migraines: http://migrainepage.forumotion.net/migraines-f1/odors-and-migraines-t772.htm It is possible there are also scent triggers where your wife works-something to look into. One thing that helped me tremendously with my chemical sensitivity is Singulair. Now I sneeze, but it really takes something wicked to put me around the bend now. HTH.

Yes, it was for us too - we were really worried - that is why she went to her Dr. first, then the neurologist and had the scan. Scan turned out ok.

She doesn’t take any medications (no prescriptions), if her headache is real bad she will take some Excedrin. Even the migraine medicine the Dr. gave her, she didn’t take (don’t know why) she just doesn’t like to take meds.

There were a few things the Dr. was worried about, namely an increase in stress at work (she manages a lot of people, with a significant increase in workload), lack of sleep (we have three children all under 5) and some mild depression - so the Dr. suggested she do her best to eliminate some stress at work, go out with friends and get like 10 hours of deep uninterrupted sleep. And that was the one time she actually felt better. It only lasted a day though, back to the grind and the symptoms came back.

We're optimistic though :)

Not to get into the medical stuff, but Migraine can't be diagnosed via MRI because they don't show on an MRI. You can have lesions on the brain with migraine, but most sufferers, even long term ones, don't have them. Glad to hear hers was clean though, migraines are NOT fun but there are worse things out there!!

I completely understand the meds thing. I have been there, done that. My fav OTC "script" for myself was 4 advil chased with a 20oz mountain dew (caffeine CAN make migraines worse, but oddly enough, it can also help). I finally caved and got a script for an abortive, Midrin, and I call it my magic red pill now, lol. I originally was given Imitrex but the possible side effects list was rather hair raising and I made my dr give me the midrin instead. It is a personal choice, but after years (like 15 or so) of frequent migraines (which are more than a headache, believe me) I gave up and decided I wanted to try and have a life again! I tried "natural" alternatives like feverfew and magnisum suplements with no luck, however I do seem to sleep a little better if I take a small dose of magnisum before bed.

Lack of sleep is a HUGE trigger for a lot of people. I have a hard time with that one myself-anyone that owns their own business and works a full time job as well can attest to the fact that sleep is often the first thing sacrificed! MSG is another big one. Stress is also, but also one of the hardest to avoid.

If I were you, I would definitely make them in a shed or the garage. To me that is a no-brainer. Food-grade paraffin does sound nice doesnt it? That is how Scentsy markets their candles. Good luck and I wish your wife and you can solve the problem and she starts feeling better soon.

What type of wicks are you using in your own candles? Do they have a metal core? The Yankee candles I have appear to use cotton wicks---at least I can't see a metal core.

I do have reactions to candles and FOs. My ears ring and I may get sinus headache and/or asthmatic symptoms. Yankee Candles do bother me and I could barely breathe in their local store in my town because the FO's were so strong. If that doesn't bother your wife, I'd definitely look at the soy.

I'm surprised no one suggested making beeswax candles. What about trying beeswax without added FOs? (You noted you're a vegetarian but you didn't say vegan--so I don't know if you'd find beeswax acceptable.)

Are you paying attention to the temperature of the melting wax and using indirect heat? I'm wondering if an over-heated soy wax might out-gas a chemical that triggers allergies?

Ohhhhh Midrin! The magic red pill!

I've suffered from migraines since CHILDHOOD. Midrin was, and still is, my little miracle. I was first presribed it in 2004 and I have gone from 2 or 3 migraines per WEEK to maybe 1 a month.

Do keep on it though. If she is having continuous migraines (longer than 48 hours) something else is likely going on under the surface. Whether it be chemical or physiological-- that is not a normal situation.

From a purely ecological standpoint-- no wax is any better than the other. In fact, I've always found the eco-argument to be the most idiotic argument against parrafin out there. Parrafin is the only wax that doesn't require you to destroy something--- its a by-product of something thats already being made anyhow. With proper wicking and FO%, you're not gonna get any more soot from them than you do Soy or Palm.