Scam?

Kim Rowlett

I received this email:

Good morning Dear Customer,

I am glad to hear from you..I went to your website and i am interested in Keepsak Apothecary Jar which is $12.89..I want to Order 200 of the candles and i want you to send me an email back with the total cost..Advise with the method of payment that you accept..Get back to me as soon as possible..Whats your name and phone number..

Thank You

Rev.John Evans

Sure looks fishy to me.

I received this email:

Good morning Dear Customer,

I am glad to hear from you..I went to your website and i am interested in Keepsak Apothecary Jar which is $12.89..I want to Order 200 of the candles and i want you to send me an email back with the total cost..Advise with the method of payment that you accept..

...SO I CAN DECIDE WHICH STOLEN CREDIT CARD TO USE.

Get back to me as soon as possible..Whats your name and phone number..

Thank You

Rev.John Evans

Sure looks fishy to me.

The scams never end.

Dear Customer??? :laugh2:

Yes, sounds like a scam. I teach piano lessons for a few hours a week (my "fun" job as I call it to my students) and I would get e-mails like that from my advertisments. I always had fun responding back and making it sound like I was serious and answered their questions, asked some questions myself and stuff. Sometimes you can have a serious customer that just doesn't know english that well, so broken english isn't a good indicator (imo).

Once they start asking requests against your policies,asking you to send money back to them, getting account information (asking for nonpublic information) then just drop it because then you know 100% that it really is a scam and not somebody who just doesn't know english very well.

It just takes your time to respond to them and doesn't cost anything since it is e-mail.

Scam for sure. Here's something that happened to us. When we had our previous business, I got a call. But it came through an operator. I didn't get it at first, but she was transferring information to me. She mentioned she had a "customer" on the other end that had visited our site and wants to place an order. A very large order and they didn't care what style candles were sent, nor the scent. Hmmm? Then they had a special request....they wanted (2) Two way phone radio/transmitters. Something special, and they were specific as to the brand. I can't remember exactly what types they are now. It was about seven years ago. I asked the operator if the customer could hear when she and I talked and she said no. We then had a private conversation and I ended the call w/o taking the order. My husband called the FBI (no kidding) He told them about the call. They told him "they" go through sites and look for what appears to be small time companies. Because we seem more eager to want the order, they can prove successful. They said these people have stolen credit cards that are good, we process their order because it clears and then by the time "all hell breaks lose", it's too late...we're out the money and the candles. During these conversations, they found the call came from Kenya. And what about those "special phones"...they said it was obvious the special phones were used so their conversations could not be overheard/intercepted. Hmmmmmm. Anyway, sorry so lenghty, but wanted to share. We just need to watch out for each other. :smiley2: