Tip for finding craft fairs

pixie

How do you guys go about finding craft fairs to sell at? Is there a crafty newspaper or magazine that Im not aware of that lists all the fairs for the different areas? Is there some website that has a comprehensive list of all the fairs going on?

Most of the shows I've done they found me, I knew of them from previously attending, or learned of them from other vendors.

There are newsletters you can pay for or websites you can sign up for.. but IMO those are a waste of money unless you plan on doing every single show. Some easy ways to search are to simply google key words with your towns name, ask the chamber of commerce, ask other handmade vendors you know, and check the classifieds.

Around here almost all the big churches have them, and schools. You could go to your local farmers markets and ask other vendors if they know of upcoming events. If you get into doing farmer's markets you'll have people approach you all the time. You get more than you even want.

Check with any wineries in your area. Any tourist areas.

That is what I did. I googled the local towns around me and checked out their event calendars. I have in the past paid for some of those magazines and newspapers that are suppose to list all the craft shows..but I find that they are not listing the ones in my area.... or most of them are way out of my price range.

I just moved to this are in June, so I am still checking out local shows. I signed up to do a few this year and will just go and check out some other ones.

I am starting to find out that ones that charge $100 or more to be in them are not worth my time.... I am not making a profit on those.. not sure why but the smaller ones I do well at.

just my 2 cents worth

Cindy

I used to subscribe to 2-3 of the craft show listings but have found one of the best ways to find shows is to talk to other crafters but, beware, a good show for someone else may not be a good show for you.

The best tip I would have for doing shows is to pick shows that have a high attendance. I never do a show that has less than 2,000 in attendance. They say you can only count on 10% of those attending even looking at your products.

Have you tried www.craftlister.com

Free membership for limited information, but if you comment on a show you did or you have information about a show you know about, add it to the list for full free membership.

You can refine the searches to festivals, no vendor, yes vendors. outdoors only, church shows,, big shows and small shows.

Just plug in your zip code information.. and it does the rest for ya...

Edited by SherriLynn

Where are you at Pixie? THere's someone who mills around a few states with a blue book of craft show listings, but mostly start checking around at CofC's in your town and others and talk to crafty people you know who may do the show circuit as far as buying at them. Then at shows, makes friends with other vendors and listen to them when they start talking about shows.

I agree with googling Chamber of Commerces in your area. I have found most of my shows like that plus talking to other vendors. I have a couple of people that will point me to shows that have been good for them in the past. I usually drop one show a year and add one new one. I have developed a schedule of cheap booth fees that have a great return plus one big bucks three day show. This is all I can handle and work fulltime. I am in a rural area so I have to drive 40-60 miles for most of my shows.

I mostly avoid festivals with free entertainment since those have not been the most lucrative for me. Montly markets, quarterly markets and Holiday shows are my best venues.