Match a scent with this personality.....

Darbla

Maybe some of the Serge Lutens dupes from daystar or Spiritueuse ...

I have a SIL who acts uppity with all the attributes you mentioned ... but is a pretender so she wouldn't really qualify for any of the "upper shelf" aromas. When I think of an aroma for her it's Goddess.

Edited by Judy, USMC

First thing that popped into my head was High maintanance.

Not 'HM' but something in that category would work. You've got the right idea but I just don't think that is exactly what I want to use for this. Nothing foody either, and 'Pink Sugar' is too girly to me, for this type of person. This is for one of my co-workers for Christmas, and she is that type of strong, take charge business woman, so I need something high class and sassy; but not high class and girly. Maybe something woodsy like cedarwood with sandalwood, patchouli, and ? And what just popped into my mind is Peak's 'Twilight Woods'; when I had the shower gel from Bath & Body Works, I remember thinking it was kind of strong and somewhat (but not completely) masculine, and that would work for this person. It's still got to be for a girl, but be strong. I know I'm just not remembering something that would be perfect for this project, so I'm hoping you all will get it or jog my memory.

Hey Scented, what are your favorite patchouli mixes? Not straight patchouli, but with something else to class it up? (I like patchouli straight, but everybody else thinks it hippy, incensey and not quite upper class!)

Keep 'em coming!

Edited by Darbla

Patch isn't for high maintenance Divas lol!

So you really should try the Little Black Dress from AH/RE ... da bomb!

What about Day-Stars Rock Star and rename it. Or whatever she calls the Lush Rock Star FO. I think she calls it Liquid Crack maybe.

NG has a scent called I'm Too Sexy ... just sayin'

But ultimately what I would probably consider ... though I think this is better for non-Divas is Strawberry Musk from AH/RE, or their Rapture (but this one is a PITA in wax though very nice!) So you know ... it in no way, shape or form resembles a foodie candle (Strawberry Musk that is.) Seriously.

From the Scent Works (ugh, I know you're groaning) I would try Ume Blossom or Ultraviolet (rename the thing though.) Both are gorgeous scents. Probably not for this person though, but I wouldn't pass it up.

If you really, really, really want a patch blend gimme a non-Diva personality :D I will have to think on it ...

I'm still going to pick Strawberry Musk for your person though ... even if she really isn't a Diva. Give her a chance to feel sexy, because that's what this FO really is.

Edited by Scented

Have you ever tried World's Best Egyptian Musk from Sweetcakes?

This would fit your personality you are describing, IMO.

I really don't like Egyptian Musk, but I got this on a whim, and I totally fell in love with it. Smells NOTHING like the Egyptian Musk I've smelled from other suppliers. It's deep, earthy, sexy, and smells expensive and high falutin'.

Check it out.

Edited by CBE

I think I got it: doesn't 'Angel' smell kind of strong and almost masculine to some people? It's really not foody to me even though there is foody notes in it.

CBE, I love 'Egyptian Musk' but I think it's a little too incensey for this person. However, I will take your recommendation and get me some. :smiley2:

I think I got it: doesn't 'Angel' smell kind of strong and almost masculine to some people? It's really not foody to me even though there is foody notes in it.

No it's sickeningly floral and heavy at that (IMO) ... it's a nauseating scent. OK said my peace.

Now go get you some patch, rose and musk, maybe a hint of vanilla or swap out the rose with some jasmine ... either way, only let the patch tone the fragrance down, not rule it.

Ah and for the musk, a sweet, amber musk might be lovely and you will only want to use it sparingly. Where might you find it? AH/RE ... and while you are there, get a sample of the strawberry musk. Seriously.

Edited by Scented

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ended up giving her 'High Maintenance'. Wasn't going to give her anything at all but this is what happened:

This is somebody I work with, and it always feels kind of odd when somebody you wouldn't normally give a Christmas gift to gives you one. She did give me one last year so I figured there'd be one this year, so I hit on the idea to just have a bunch of candles made up, wrapped, perfectly giftable and at the ready if this uncomfortable situation happened. So she sends me and her other lowly minion (she's our boss) an email the week before Christmas that she wants to take us out to eat the week after Christmas. That's her gift to us, and she's on this 'bonding' kick so that's what we have to suffer through. I thought "OK, I'll give her a candle and have that covered". She was genuinely happy with the candle. Because I'm a chandler she's always telling me about all the ones she's buying at other places, so I know she really enjoys them in general, and she is sincere about her praise for what I gave her (Status jar, lid, wrapped in tissue and inside a perfectly fitting red velvet box with a bow on top, I even put her initial on the side). She came back the next day asking if I had more because her daughter had a fit over it when she got it home. So all is good.

Except the next week, she says absolutely nothing about taking us minions out. And you can't exactly say to somebody "Hey, you owe me a meal or a Christmas present." You either look petty, or desperate for food. Either isn't a pretty picture. So minion #2 and I just keep our mouths shut, and I'm out a beautiful candle I labored over for the beatch. :mad:

Such is the life of a working girl. :rolleyes2

Ah, but you get to go to work tomorrow!

I like to joke at the office "Everyone who wants a job in the morning come to the conference table for file review." Or my personal favorite on Friday at 4:50 p.m. "Go ahead, take the rest of the day off. Heck, take the next two day's off!"

She'll remember, even if she doesn't express it. You worked hard for a scent. Dunno if the name of the scent will send the wrong message, but I'm sure she likes it.

By the way, all the "Egyptian Musk" scents that I tried are terribly lame. The Egyptian Dragon was the closest to what I was looking for and would have been my correct choice for your challenge.

Thanks for telling us. I appreciate hearing back since this was a bit of a mystery.