How to swirl M&P and how fine to make oatmeal

RWV

OK, how do you get nice swirls with M&P soap? I figure it needs to be in a multi-mold for squares or rectangles, but do you pour a first layer, then color the remaining soap and wait until the first layer is semi-soft, then pour the colored on top and run a spatula or chopsticks through it to swirl? I've read alot on how it's done for CP soap, but was wondering if this would also work for M&P soap.

Also, to make OM&H soap, I was going to grind some oatmeal in the food processor to a fine meal, but didn't know if that is what you guys do. What do you think?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! thanks!

I don't do a lot of swirling with my M&P mostly cause I don't have the time. I did used to add a drop of color in the last oz or two of leftover base and drizzle that on top of my already poured soap. Then use a toothpick or chopstick to swirl it in. Takes a little practice. I'm sure there a lots of methods if you do a little experimenting. I've also added drops of liquid color on top of the melted base already in the mold and swirled my color in that way too for smaller areas of bold contrasting color.

As far as adding oatmeal, the consistency depends on your personal preference. I add whole rolled oats to my blender and pulse it a couple of times to have a blend of fine and course ground oatmeal. Others like only the fine powder/flour grind so you will want to leave it on for about a minute to get a finely ground flour consistency. Either way works including leaving it whole and unground. Just remember the larger the grind the rougher texture the soap will have.

I had a great picture on my old hard drive of some swirled m&p. If I can find it on my disc, I'll post a pic.

But...what I do is use a colored Clear base and white. I pour the white into the clear....swirls MUCH better. You can color both....the white base seems to suspend alot better into the clear. I do it in multiple layers in a rectangular loaf mold. I pour a layer of clear colored base...wait a bit til it gets a light skin....then pour a bit of white....swirl a bit with a chopstick...let set up to form a skin...then pour clear...white, clear white..etc.

It takes a LONG time, but the soap looks really cool :)

Here you go....a great video tutorial :) I followed this video when I made my first batch :)

Edited by debratant
added link

I once melted, colored, and scented two separate pots of soap, at the same time. Then I held one in my left and one in right hand, and poured them at the same time, moving down the sides of the mold. The friends I gave it to loved it. You could do that, then swirl a stick or whatever crossways, from one end to the other. That's just two colors, not three, but you might be struck with some other ideas while you're doing it.