Store Sample Question

starfox1

Hi All-

I just got an inquiry from someone and I am thinking it may be just someone looking for freebies. She doesn't even ask for wholesale prices or anything. Her address that she wants me to mail to is a home address.

How can I answer this politely but verify that this is for a legit business? What should I request from her and how should I word it? I have never gotten any inquires like this yet...

Hello I own an upscale gift shop here in California and after reviewing your website I am considering carrying your candle products in my store and was wondering if I could possibly request a few samples just to see what I think of these products before making a large purchase. Thank you and I look forward to doing business with you very soon.

I guess I am a bit jaded when it comes to this sort of thing, but sounds like someone looking for freebies. If you want to go forward with it, I would email back saying that they are welcome to purchase products at retail. Then if they decide to carry your product, you would apply the original purchase as a credit towards their wholesale purchase (minus shipping of course). You work hard to make your products and should not be cheated out of them! But sounds like a "freebie chaser" to me. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Steve

I am having this same problem but it is with family/friends. They all want tons of samples of everything I make so they will know what they want to buy:rolleyes2..I mean I already throw in a .5oz sample in every order. This sample crap is costing WAY too much :(

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am having this same problem but it is with family/friends. They all want tons of samples of everything I make so they will know what they want to buy:rolleyes2..I mean I already throw in a .5oz sample in every order. This sample crap is costing WAY too much :(

I feel ya, Red. :( My "samplers" have gotten so used to free product, that now they just expect it. I just was rehearsing in my head my talk of how I have passed the "testing" phase, and now only need tests on new scents, not on their faves that they want. It's just hard to say it outright. I'm looking for a "soft touch" approach, because I am so outspoken and loud most of the time. Let me know if you find a way to subtly, yet firmly make my point! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I feel ya, Red. :( My "samplers" have gotten so used to free product, that now they just expect it. I just was rehearsing in my head my talk of how I have passed the "testing" phase, and now only need tests on new scents, not on their faves that they want. It's just hard to say it outright. I'm looking for a "soft touch" approach, because I am so outspoken and loud most of the time. Let me know if you find a way to subtly, yet firmly make my point! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yup, same problem here. I mean they want me to send samples AND PAY FOR SHIPPING, ummm no. I don't make much off my products as it is and now they want them for free. I mean can I just go into walmart and demand free samples before I purchase products? No

Hi All-

I just got an inquiry from someone and I am thinking it may be just someone looking for freebies. She doesn't even ask for wholesale prices or anything. Her address that she wants me to mail to is a home address.

How can I answer this politely but verify that this is for a legit business? What should I request from her and how should I word it? I have never gotten any inquires like this yet...

I think Canybees' reply in post #5 is spot-on but if you're willing to wholesale I'd suggest you develop a wholesale account application - require business info, copy of sales tax license, picture of storefront. You will also need to decide on pricing/payment terms for this type of account.

My reply would be -

Thanks for your inquiry. We do not send samples however if you are interested in our products I can send you our wholesale account application.

Edited by Judiee

To Red and B@BlissStreet - It would help if you sat down and made a decision about what you will sell your products to for family and friends. Do you want to give them a discount? Sell at wholesale price? Or regular price. Make your decision and stick to it. Then telling them next time they ask what your price is should be alot simpler and matter of fact. Don't let anyone make you feel sheepish or stingy because you set a price for your stuff. Its costing you time and money and research so you have a lot invested in it. I'm getting off my soapbox now...

Thanks everyone, the strange thing is I just got another inquiry for samples for a countryside market. I suppose this person is smarter and knows they can't give a business address when they say countryside market. Maybe it's the same person since I told the last that we could only ship samples to store locations and to provide me with the address. I figured with the address I could get more info...

I saw on another post that it happened to someone else where he a girl asked for samples and he found her on Facebook- she was a fan of a page called I like free things.:mad:

I honestly think that many people out there are always looking for samples and freebies.

Sorry but a shop owner knows better than to ask for freebies. They would be inquiring about wholesale prices and they would introduce themselves such as Mary Anderson, Owner/Mgr., ABC Gift Shop.

This person is asking for freebies. Trash the email.

Yes you are so correct. I think I will trash all email not asking for wholesale prices and off to find out how to make a wholesale form.

It only gets worse fall - Christmas season. No one wants to pay for anything. Just delete it, real business owners don't send emails like that. Ask yourself, would you send something like that to one of your suppliers? Or better yet would you even have the nerve to? I would be too embarrassed.

The review for free product thing is getting out of hand now too, everyone's a writer or youtuber these days.... free blogs/channels that no one could find or would ever read LOL