Melting Wax Question???

Ok... I have 3 presto pots that I use right now. My volume of orders has slowly increased over the last 2 1/2 years of business and I think it's time to make the next move. I have searched the forum, and most people say the next step, shy of a commercial melter, is a turkey roaster. It seems that the turk and surf by masterbuit is pretty much the one to choose. The problem that I am finding is, where are these sold? Just about every link I click on, the page is either not there or they are no longer in stock? Most of the posts on here are a couple of years old, so is there a newer roaster that you guys use? I am looking for a fairly quick melter also. I found a link to another roaster that looks similar in design

http://www.brucefoods.com/mystOre/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=154

would this work the same as the turk and surf? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I did try amazon, I can only find the one that I linked to (the cajun injector turkey fryer) on amazon, but not the Masterbuilt Turk & Surf. I even tried ebay, but I just can't find it. Has it been discontinued? I can't even find it on masterbuilt's website. :confused: If anyone could get me a link, I would appreciate it. Thanks again!

I do not need one of these, as I do not sell, but it got me interested and I went looking. Seems they are no longer in production. I checked MANY sites and it always seems to say out of stock or discontinued. So I think the Cajun one is your best bet, or find one used. The Cajun fryer seems to almost mirror the Masterbuilt one. Makes me wonder why the Masterbuilt one is not produced anymore. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Cheers,

Steve

BTW - found this one with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Cajun-Injector-Electric-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B002JQ3KQ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1281900460&sr=8-2#productPromotions

Edited by Wessex

Well just for S & G's I went to Craigslist to look for the Masterbuilt unit and found a new, still in box, one for $75! Talk about luck! I figure sometime down the road I may want one and since they are out of production....:smiley2:. Going to get it tomorrow.

Cheers,

Steve

The Cajun looks just like the Masterbuilt I have. The price looks good, some of us got them on got them on clearance, we were very lucky. But when this one goes I'll have to get the Cajun. I would check Craigs list first if a no go then just go ahead and get one. I love mine...

I would recommend that you all read all the advice, tid bits of info on the turkey fryer. There are a bunch.

Edited by Sharon in KY

I'm sure they will come out again and be on store shelves in time for cooking Thanksgiving and xmas turkeys. You may want to wait as you may get a good deal on one during the holiday season.

I got my GE turkey roaster at Walmart for around $25. It holds at least 20-25 lbs of wax.

Edited by Candybee

According to Masterbuilt, they have permanently discontinued the line. Bummer. Yea, I know, too much time on my hands at the moment. But I did pick up the one off Craigslist today! Don't know why, will probably never use it. But if I need it... And it is new and still sealed in box (yes, I opened it and checked :) ). Sweet.

Cheers,

Steve

Wow.. guess we lucked out. Just bought a used 1 (used 2 times) for 50 bucks.

Carl (our chandler :) ) is in love with it..lol

We had thought about another one for palm wax guess we better start hunting.

~Johnna and Carl

Calico Candle Company

I wouldn't mind a thread on "what not to do."

So I have to ask, what in the world is the difference between that turkey roaster and a deep fryer?

I have a Costco deep fryer that has low heat settings and the specific temperature settings start at 175. Yeah, it goes higher than one should so there is a caution, but it looks to me like it would melt about 30 pounds or so.

Anyone ever use one of these? The heating element looks very similar.

I wonder if the heating element gets too radical when it is first turned on. Getting to 175 slowly is obviously much safer than having a heating element go supernova for the first 3 minutes lighting the wax on fire.

Wouldn't a crock pot do the job as well? Just don't leave it on high (I'm pretty sure that is about 200 degrees.

Just curious.

Crock pots are pretty slow to heat up the wax but are okay for keeping it hot, in my experience. The most important thing to remember for turkey fryers is to cover the coils with melted wax before turning it on and to never let the coils become exposed.

Yeah, I thought crock pots were slow (but that probably also means safe).

So if the turkey roaster coil has to be covered up, that suggests to me that it might heat up very fast and maybe even glow red if not covered? I would think the same of the deep fryer.

The deep fryer has a warmer setting that has 1/3 turn of the dial, which is a lot, then it goes from 175 degrees to 375 over the next 2/3. Granted, 375 is way too high, I wonder what the settings on the turkey roaster are.