Body butter and lotion people, how much have you invested...

Guest PassionSunKiss

Guest PassionSunKiss

I've invested a couple hundred dollars so far and just threw away my first attempt at making a body butter yesterday. I saw it as money wasted, but soon realized ya gotta start somewhere, right? So I was curious as to how much have you had to invest into making body butters or lotions before you got your first recipe correct?

It took me 2 tries for body butter and 1 for the lotion. I had researched them both for many months before I made them. I used the body butter up, it just wasn't what I wanted, nothing really wrong with it.

Like Kitn said, if you read, read, read and research, make sure your source is legitimate and knowledgeable, you can get a great recipe from the start. That being said, most folks aren't going to spend time and money on formulating the "ultimate (insert product name here)" then post that recipe on the internet.

If you haven't already, looking at lotioncrafter.com and snowdrift farm may help.

My advice would be go to the websites mentioned above and get to know the ingredients that they offer and what qualities they would bring to your lotion or body butter recipe. Find a basic recipe and tweek it to your liking. That is what I did and after my first try--I thought it turned out good-- I joined a swap on this forum and let my ct friends try it out and the feedback was great.:) This is the recipe that I have used for the past year. I joined a swap a few months after the first swap and one of the members requested that I make my lotion again.

Just remember research, research, research!

Sheli

I'd hate to calculate what I've spent on trying out new formulas and new products!! Some worked the first or second try and others never did. Some products I've tried thinking they would be a good match for my business and eventually decided they wouldn't. It's all part of the game..finding what and where your niche is but eventually you'll figure it out. Have fun and don't take it so serious. Even the products I decided weren't up to snuff to sell, I still enjoyed using them so all was not completely wasted. My family & friends always get my cast-offs. Even when I do soaps and the colors or designs are not to my liking but the soap is still great, I donate to the homeless shelter/battered women's group and they enjoy the benefits of my boo-boos. I then don't consider it a total loss.

Karen

There are great recipes on this forum and other forums too. I actually spent nothing extra except for the jars, I had the oils for soap making. I find the keep it simple silly principle works well when making lotions and butters. You really don't need a whole bunch of different oils etc to make a great product.

• 2 months later...
There are great recipes on this forum and other forums too. I actually spent nothing extra except for the jars, I had the oils for soap making. I find the keep it simple silly principle works well when making lotions and butters. You really don't need a whole bunch of different oils etc to make a great product.

I totally agree! I've found that virgin coconut oil, sweet almond oil, and avocado oil are great together for a wonderful body butter.

• 1 month later...

I was happy to see this thread. We researched and researched and did a little testing. Then the candle business got busy and the butter and lotions got put on the back burner and we're just ready to jump in again. Thanks adillenal for the link. Visited the site and love it!! I agree with everyone that we all need to do research. For me, it helps me to understand the ingredients better and how they work (or don't work) together. Helps me appreciate my end result. But if I can find a great site that helps in this way...that's all the more money I will save by possibly not making some costly mistakes. And yeah, Faerywren mentioned Snowdrift and Lotioncrafter...I have learned alot from those sites too

I spent close to $400 yesterday and I am a b&b crafting virgin. Man this is going to be expensive.

I am an esthetician and I rep/educate for a professional skin care line. I have really learned so much about the benefits of certain ingredients over the years so when I see all of the ingredients available to me I get all "oooh and aaah" and just can't help myself.