"Safe" Cosmetics Act? Sign the petition!

Hi guys! You all have already probably heard of this bill that in essence will shut down every single one of our little business that produce bath & body and even soap products. I know it's not about candles, but I figured so many of us are affected by this, I'd post it. I hope that's ok with the mods.

I realize the name of the bill is REALLY deceptive, it would do VERY little to ensure the "safety" of cosmetics anyway, and I won't go on and on because many of you probably know about it, and if you don't, I've included a link below where you can read about it.

Seems funny to me that all the sudden this bill is a big deal since people started buying organic, natural and small company products are becoming more popular, the timing seems a little off to me. If they really are concerned with "safety" why didn't they do this 20 years ago? I know many people that were affected by the NAIS who were small farmers, and this seems to be the b&b community's NAIS. UGH! It makes no exception for small companies like most of ours, treating us in the same ranks as companies like Revlon and Burt's Bees (which is owned by Clorox by the way).

Please sign the petition to STOP this bill here: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/oppose-hr-5786-safe-cosmetics-act-of-2010/

If you aren't familiar with the bill, the soap guild has good info about it here http://www.soapguild.org/blog/2010/07/from-the-president-safe-cosmetics-act-of-2010/

Thanks guys!!! Pass it on, they are looking for at least 1000 signatures!

Me too, I think we all are! It's getting a lot of signers, right now the goal is 2000. But someone had mentioned, I think this is worth a shot...posting it on facebook. I myself (yes I'm old! LOL) don't have a FB account and would have no idea about going about it, but my mother in law had mentioned that someone had posted another petition on FB and got something like 35000 signers in one day. So does anyone have any idea how to post this to facebook? I know several people who do have accounts I could forward the info too....

You can always e-mail the reps who are sponsoring the bill...just google their names to find their website.

H.R. 5786, the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010, was introduced into Congress on July 21, 2020, by Reps. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., Ed Markey, D-Mass., and Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisc. As of the publication of this petition, the bill is new co-sponsored by Reps. John Conyers, D-Mi, Diane DeGette, D-Co, Alcee Hastings, D-Fl, Barbara Lee, D-Ca and James Moran, D-Va.

I don't know that the internet petition will be totally unacceptable. This is through Care2, which is a pretty big site when it comes to political and social activism, charities and so on, so I've got some faith. If nothing else, it shows a growing opposition to this bill. Moreover, if people are worried it's not going to be accepted via the internet, I think a lot of people will simply toss it to the side and that's REALLY what we DON'T need right now.

I think we are on the right track, in general it's getting a lot of interest. I've had people in the last few hours post on facebook and gotten a flood of support via email so that's good. It's definitely on the right track. I live in IL, where one of the reps is from, and I've been emailing, calling, etc. Right now I think it's all about gathering support and keeping our voices loud!

already over 1000 siggies, when I signed it yesterday it was only 130 siggies, so its getting around!! repost everywhere!

I've emailed all my states congressmen too, as well as several in other states.. and I emailed all the congressmen/women who are mentioned on the bill - its easy to do, just go to their congress page and submit and email.. I copy/pasted and simply changed the names. It only took me about 20 minutes and I'm hoping them hearing directly from me, and HOW it will affect my business, may make them think twice. I know its a long shot, but its worth it to me.

I signed the petition...I think people need to sign their names to be taken seriously. I only make candles but this got me thinking that after all we offer an alternative to the big candle making companies and must cut into their sales, so I wonder if theses big candle making companies wouldn't like to see us go away...with a Safe Candle act...who's to say that it is not coming next.

I signed the petition...I think people need to sign their names to be taken seriously. I only make candles but this got me thinking that after all we offer an alternative to the big candle making companies and must cut into their sales, so I wonder if theses big candle making companies wouldn't like to see us go away...with a Safe Candle act...who's to say that it is not coming next.

To a certain degree that has been happening already.