How much would you charge a friend?

I know I have JUST STARTED making candles but my BIL's sister saw some of my candles and would like me to make her some for their house. Several of them actually. She said that she is willing to pay me for them but I would feel weird doing that since she's family. But it will cost a little bit of money to get what she wants. Any advice on what to do? Should I have her buy the jars she wants? Should she pay for the shipping to get the supplies to my house? Or pay for the pound or 2 of wax for the votives?

What do you guys do? :undecided

P.S. I also told her that I would be testing for all candles before she gets them!

Edited by BrittyBea

I just charge for supplies when I sell to friends and family... I used to feel guilty about it, but after a certain point you just learn that you cant afford to constantly be giving everything away. So... compromise is to charge for supplies and a bit for labor. Basically, wholesale cost. Then they feel like they arent ripping you off, and you feel like you arent ripping them off!

Ok, so once she figures out everything she wants, see how much it will all be and ask her for that much? B/c I know she wants some votives for her bathroom, at least 3 jars for her girls rooms, and some more for the rest of the house. I know I porbably want to order a little extra for myself, so just figure out how much her part will be?

I am a little nervous about it b/c I have seriously only made 6 candles. I plan on buying EcoSoya 135 for the containers and then EcoSoya PB for the votives. The only place I have found to buy by the pound is Cierra's Candles but the shipping is a little high to me. I have been thinking about the GB 464. What do you guys think?

She knows that I have just started and she told me that all she really cares about is the vanilla scent (not what it looks like after it burns, as long as it smells good) for her bathroom and the candles for her daughters rooms are just for decoration.

I am just nervous!:P

I wouldnt order less than 10lbs.. you can order 10lbs for relatively cheap and honestly generally will pay the same to ship 1lb as you will for the 10.

10 you can order from just about any supplier... you can search by state here... http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55309

When I started making candles I ordered from peaks, 10lbs at a time until I was done testing, then moved onto the cases of 50. I use GB 464 and I'm very happy with it, but everyone has different experiences with different waxes.

10lbs is 20 8oz candles, so its not too much if you look at it that way.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

My own personal experience is that I needed testers. Usually I pour two candles from a batch and I burn one and I give one to a friend and I tell them I expect feedback.

Once someone falls in love with a particular scent, and they want more candles like that, then I've charged them about $10 a candle. Here in Australia, the costs for materials for about one candle is $5 Aus so I think a wholesale price of $10 is reasonable. And, yes, in the boutiques here, soy candles in the same metro jars I am using go for $25 - $30.

Personally I think someone who has only made 6 candles has no business selling them to anyone. Especially to a household with young girls. I'd tell her you are still in the testing stage and will be happy to sell some to her once you have finished.

When you are ready you can sell them at cost or above so you don't lose money. I think wholesale price (cost x 2) is a good idea if you want to give her a bargain.

I would also make sure you buy all the materials, glass, wax, wicks, dye, etc. so you know what is going into making the candles. I would not let someone pick out their own jars, wicks, etc. Use materials you have tested in and know they are safe.

You really have to be careful when determining a price to sell to friends and relatives. What if your friends sister or friend wants one after seeing hers? Do you charge her the same amount? Would that person feel 'ripped off' if she had to pay more? Where do you draw the line between those who get 'mates rates' and those who pay regular price? Remember also, that if they buy it at a certain price and then come back for more, they will expect to pay the same price second, third, fourth time around etc. You could find yourself run ragged and not making anything from it. Dont forget also that it costs you money to make the candles to test.

If its just a 'hobby' for you and you are glad of a home for your candles that you've churned out just for the love of it, then thats different but if your trying to make a decent profit then dont sell yourself short.

Really close friends will know how much blood sweat and tears {and money!} have gone into your quest for the perfect candle and will want to pay you a fair price. Those that baulk at paying a fair price, are not really friends at all.

I don't think you are ready for orders yet. Test your candles yourself and then let her help you test them. If the time comes when she wants to buy something that you are comfortable with, you will need to come up with a friends and family price. Perhaps you can talk her into buying a tart burner and you can make tarts for her or a wickless candle.

I sell my stuff to the public so when my friends want something, they pay the same as others. However, they get a ton of freebies from me all the time.

I'm glad you told her you are going to test your candles first. However I think it's going to take a lot more supplies and time to complete the necessary testing than what you are thinking. Each color,fo,wick and wax combo must be tested. And wick recommendations are just a starting point and you may have to test several kinds and sizes to make the best candle.

You may lay out several hundred dollars before you even consider selling. And don't even think about selling candles to anyone without getting insurance.

As far as I'm concerned a candle is an item to be used by adults. You can't control what your customer does, but if someone told me they were going to put candles in their daughters rooms, I would advise against it.

I'm really not trying to discourage you, just don't let anyone rush you into selling before you're sure you have a good and safe product to sell.

Sorry I have to agree you should not be selling anything yet as you aren't done with testing. Absolutely do not let her pick the containers, that's your job to test what you intend to sell. Make her a tester and like what was said tell her when you have perfected the jars, you will then sell to her.

Personally, friends and family pay my selling price for everything, but they get free stuff occasionally. If you sell at a discount and they tell friends that is the price for your products, then they will expect the same cost.

I don't think you are ready for orders yet. Test your candles yourself and then let her help you test them. If the time comes when she wants to buy something that you are comfortable with, you will need to come up with a friends and family price. Perhaps you can talk her into buying a tart burner and you can make tarts for her or a wickless candle.

I sell my stuff to the public so when my friends want something, they pay the same as others. However, they get a ton of freebies from me all the time.

I totally agree with the above. I do not cut breaks because I don't want my friend's friend trying to say "well so and so only paid X amount why do I pay more." Retail price or nothing is how I do it. But of course like Deb the close friends and family get freebies all the time anyway.

I think you guys are taking this a little seriously. A big part of growing is having family and friends willing to test for you too. If shes going to test them before she sells/gives them.. then I dont see the problem. Just because shes only made 6 candles before doesnt mean she doesnt make good candles.. its not like shes saying shes setting up a booth at the local market tomorrow, or selling them online, or even selling them immediately.. im sure shes taken safety into consideration :P geez.

I havent found the "if you sell it at X price to friends their friends will expect X price" thing to be true yet, at all. I've had lots of friends of friends come to buy candles and goodies from me and never once ask about price.. or try and get the same price I gave to a close friend... again, everyone will have a different experience I guess but my friends dont talk price, and if they do they give the retail price, like I ask them to do. Its never once been a problem

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I think you guys are taking this a little seriously. A big part of growing is having family and friends willing to test for you too. If shes going to test them before she sells/gives them.. then I dont see the problem. Just because shes only made 6 candles before doesnt mean she doesnt make good candles.. its not like shes saying shes setting up a booth at the local market tomorrow, or selling them online, or even selling them immediately.. im sure shes taken safety into consideration :P geez.

I havent found the "if you sell it at X price to friends their friends will expect X price" thing to be true yet, at all. I've had lots of friends of friends come to buy candles and goodies from me and never once ask about price.. or try and get the same price I gave to a close friend... again, everyone will have a different experience I guess but my friends dont talk price, and if they do they give the retail price, like I ask them to do. Its never once been a problem

Thanks Luminous! My BIL's sister knows that I am just starting. She likes the way the candles look and also said she doesn't mind waiting until I test them all. I already planned on doing what jonsie said and making 2 of each one and testing one myself and as long as it comes out good she will take the other. I'm not "selling" to her. She is just going to pay for most of the supplies so. And yes, she knows she is my "tester"!

Thanks again Luminous!

I do not think that anyone here is being too "serious" about this...at least not in the way you meant it, LuminousBoutique.

When experienced chandlers read that someone fairly new to candlemaking is thinking of letting someone put their "once-tested" candles in children's room, there is definitely need for concern.

It is different for everyone; for some, it takes years to perfect their candle - for others, a few months - and just because a candle burns well under one type of circumstance does not mean it will burn well if burned a different way (four hours increments vs power burning).

I know that some threads turn into gloom and doom re people handing out their creations early in the testing stages, but I didn't see that happen here - just good, caring advice.

I would suggest that you choose where your suppliers are going to be, what type of jar, etc you are going to use and when you have tested awhile, let her test for free. Then, if she would like to buy, you can decide if you want to give a discount. We give family a 25% discount - that covers our supplies and gives us a little to put towards the business. You can always use her suggestions as to what scents she would like to see you carry, but it is very difficult to please everyone and your testing may determine what scents you will carry and which just will not work for you.

I wish you luck - it is fun, expensive, rewarding, frustrating....well, you get the idea.....LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Britty

I have a firm policy of charging my family wholesale prices (2x my cost.) The reason behind this is that if you buy in builk, the actual cost of making candles is very inexpensive per candle. One thing you must consider, however, is the cost of getting to where you are comfortable selling candles. I know that when testing out FO's and different mixes my gf and I went through just over 50 lbs of wax, and a ton of FO, different wicks, etc.

My 1 pound jar candles cost me around $3.30 to make without taking into consideration equipment, so I sell them to family and friends for $7 each, on my website for $10 plus shipping, and at craft shows for around $12. I haven't had any complaints yet.

Chris