Silly question about lavender scent

jonsie

Is lavender supposed to smell soapy? Even if it's in a candle? I really don't know what a proper lavender should smell like so I feel like I have a lot to learn about the classic scents!

For what it's worth, I used some Bramble Berry Lavender in some GW464 candles and the CT and HT matched the OOB just fine. But I am definitely detecting the soapy smell in the candle a lot more now than I did a couple of months ago. I didn't know if that was typical of the lavender scent.

We use NG's Lavender Flowers and have never had a soapy smell hun... Not sure about yours tho...

I'm sorry, but I just have to say this. I don't know where you live or how old you are, but I've noticed you call almost everyone on this board "hun" when you post. IMO it is extremely presumptuous of you to be taking that liberty with people you don't know, whether it's in a forum such as this or in real life. Even though I grew up in the South where everyone calls everyone "hon" or "sugar" or some such diminutive, to me there are still instances where it oversteps the bounds of politeness and proper etiquette. Especially if you don't know someone well enough to be using a personal term of endearment then it comes across as condescending and disrespectful. To paraphrase what Top said to you in one post "We're not your huns". :angry2:

I'm sorry, but I just have to say this. I don't know where you live or how old you are, but I've noticed you call almost everyone on this board "hun" when you post. IMO it is extremely presumptuous of you to be taking that liberty with people you don't know, whether it's in a forum such as this or in real life. Even though I grew up in the South where everyone calls everyone "hon" or "sugar" or some such diminutive, to me there are still instances where it oversteps the bounds of politeness and proper etiquette. Especially if you don't know someone well enough to be using a personal term of endearment then it comes across as condescending and disrespectful. To paraphrase what Top said to you in one post "We're not your huns". :angry2:

Why didn't you and Top send a PM and let people know what YOU think. I'll be your HUN or babe or sugar it doesn't bother me...

Thank you, thank you. My thoughts exactly! I'm too blunt to be able to say it nicely like you did!

Is lavender supposed to smell soapy? Even if it's in a candle? I really don't know what a proper lavender should smell like so I feel like I have a lot to learn about the classic scents!

For what it's worth, I used some Bramble Berry Lavender in some GW464 candles and the CT and HT matched the OOB just fine. But I am definitely detecting the soapy smell in the candle a lot more now than I did a couple of months ago. I didn't know if that was typical of the lavender scent.

I love a soapy lavender smell, I'll have to order some. I have a bunch of lavender FO's and none smell soapy.

Why didn't you and Top send a PM and let people know what YOU think. I'll be your HUN or babe or sugar it doesn't bother me...

I'm with you. There are some people on this board that are quite nasty and offensive -

Eccolights is definitely not one of them!

I find the "hun" kinda sweet.

Eve

Oh dear! It's 3 am here in Australia and my brain is still asleep. But I at least wanted to say for now that:

1) Thank you to everyone who responded to my original question, and

2) I am not offended being called, "hun" or "sweetheart" or any term of endearment. I'm from the South, and I miss it while I'm here in Oz. However, I'm enjoying it when the old men here call me "love" in their Aussie accent :wink2:

MzPickles, I appreciate what you are trying to say and thank you for wanting to help. As suggested in the thread, I think the idea of sharing your thoughts in a PM might be the way to go. That has usually worked well for me. But thanks for trying to help.

Jonsie, I apologize for semi-hijacking your thread. And to your original question, the lavenders I've poured (not the same as yours) do not smell "soapy" and it's not a descriptor I'd apply to a true lavender scent. I've grown lavender in my garden and to me it has a dry, herbel smell so that's what I look for in a FO. So I'm not sure what is the case with yours, sorry!

And I want everyone else to know that in the future I will take up matters like this with the person involved. It's been like fingernails on a chalkboard for me to read EccoLight's posts though, and I actually did research on the matter before I brought myself to say anything. While there are indeed people that don't mind, there are also those who mind quite a bit, so if that's the case why risk offending at all? That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. :lipsrseal

Good Lord, you are offended by the word hun? Stick around this board, you'll see how nasty it can become. Words of kindness shouldn't be discouraged.

As for words like, honey, sugar, sweetie, chickie, etc. they don't bother me at all. Keep up the positive vibe!

I don't know why but all I want to say is WOW... We looked back at this thread to see what others thought of the lavender scent smelling like soap and here to find that some are offended by us calling people hun??? Really? I guess you would rather we say "babe or chick or HEY YOU"?? But as someone said, were just going to keep on keeping on hun :) Hope the lavender works out for you :) xoxo

I'm not offended at all by the term hun. I myself love to call my friends sweetie. To those that are offended all I can say is lighten up.

Re soapy lavender I have smelled one or two that do have a slight soapy smell and thats all right because I use them in my M&P. The ones I have found with the soapy smell are the dupes of 'Lavender Flowers'.