HP with beer

Someone brought up the question of using beer with HP- and I had never tried it so I gave it a shot! once my beer was simmered and cooled the 12oz bottle was reduced to somewhere between 9-12oz, and my recipe needs 16oz water so I went ahead and dissolved my lye in water, then added the beer once it had cooled to 100*. Not only did that help that smell (blegh) thats sometimes produced when the lye and beer mix but it also helped the beer not turn a darker brown than it already is.

The first one I did was Corona, and when I think corona I think sandy beaches, so I did an ocean scent. Unisex, but I had men in mind so I used black and blue as my color scheme and just did some simple layers. Didnt affect the cook at all, and actually was a bit easier to pour than normal so overall I was pretty happy! Some of the corona scent actually lingered a bit too, its really nice.

31402_434039729415_326597294415_5678197_7971575_n.jpg

The next one I did was with Blue Moon beer, and when I drink blue moon its normally with oranges in it.. but alas I am out of my favorite orange scent so I went for a berry blend.. its plum, peaches, strawberry, nectarine, and black currant (using up whats left of my CS black currant and nectarine) and a hint of vanilla. It will darken up a bit more but shouldnt get too dark, I kept the vanilla REALLY low. Its just a tiny bit to round out the fruit. I did this one very "Rainbow Brite" for the fruityness... TKB pops, kinda a pain in the butt to do with HP but it was fun and I like how it turned out! I'll try it again sometime for sure.

31402_434039934415_326597294415_5678220_1231121_n.jpg

Thanks guys :)

the one that is browning was blue moon beer- but its not the beer its because of the vanilla.

Corona doesnt brown but some thicker darker ales do, so I think the method I use this time, using some water with the beer, really helped with that. I made a stout beer soap too but its still in the mold, and its signifigantly lighter than the batch I made last time with just beer

• 2 weeks later...