soap beveler

Cindylou42

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could point me to good priced soap beveler? And do you all like these? I've never seen how they are used but my soap looks so unfinished so I'm guessing this is what is used. Any help would be so very appreciated.

Thanks

Cindylou

I rarely bevel my bars. It just seems sinful to waste perfectly good soap. I plane and bevel bars that need to be neater in appearance but most customers aren't that tuned into those fine details. I have a great beveler I got at Kangaroo Blue. HTH

Steve

I use a potato peeler. I bought a beveler off the classies here and don't like it. It's clunky and big and (I know it's not rocket science) can't really tell how to use it properly. The For Crafts Sake one looks nice, and I've considered buying that one many times over the years. I wish I would have instead of the one I have.

Edited by Faerywren

I rarely bevel my bars. It just seems sinful to waste perfectly good soap. I plane and bevel bars that need to be neater in appearance but most customers aren't that tuned into those fine details. I have a great beveler I got at Kangaroo Blue. HTH

Steve

I have that same one. Its great for shaving off ash too. ;)

There's a thread about KB not processing orders, answering their phone or responding to e-mails. I think its in the business section. There's a question now about whether they are still in business. :sad2:I hope they are. They are a good company. I've ordered from them a few times over the years and have always been very happy with my orders.

I, too, use a potato peeler--but mine is shaped differently. I use the one that has the U shape at the top, with the blade going across the "U"....if that makes any sense. I found that the straight ones didn't work well for me, and I would have uneven bevels. I think I found my little cheapie potato peeler at the dollar store too! Cheap and practical--just like me!! :wink2: LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Cindylou,

What type of mold do you use? Why do you say they look unfinished?

I've found a couple of things-

1- People like a hand made look when they buy natural, vegan/veggie soaps.

2- If you use a "loaf" mold, instead of a sheet mold, and you cut them with a home-made "soap miter box" they look great. Every bar is almost identical, except for the tops.

I had bought 2 of the bevelers from For Crafts Sake. Good reasonable price and they work and are small enough to fit in your hand. Makes beveling easy.

The only issue I seem to have is that it kinda scratches up the bars a bit. I don't always

bevel my bars, but when I do I wait until they are fully cured to cut down on the scratches the beveler makes. The material it's made of is a bit rough on the beveler. But otherwise...it's a great price.

I bought one off ebay, and it was horrible. I ended up paying 3x the actually shipping cost to ship, and it was made terribly. My hubby made me mine, I've asked him to make up more for sale, if anyone's interested in one, they can contact me.