Soy Pillar Wick Tests

I have always enjoyed the wick test threads (nods to Henry) and as such feel that I should return the favor. I finally decided to venture into the realm of soy pillars. These guys were a heck of a lot easier to figure out than my palm pillars. lol

I settled on the NGI pillar wax as I have had such great luck with their votive blend as well as the CB Advanced (not to mention the fact that I just reconciled the wicking with the new version of CBA and have come to learn that it is now being discontinued grrr)...oh well back to plan A.

Anyway, the four wicks I chose as a starting point was based on two factors...one being a compromise on NGI's recommendations and the other being my experience in wicking palm pillars and soy votives.

Five hour burn time pic results on three inch NGI PB (no dye, 4 oz pp WYW Casablanca Lilly FO):

One Hour

70767022_8536bf2429.jpg

Two Hour

70767023_916a6b392d.jpg

Three Hour

70767024_ea1414e2f4.jpg

Four Hour

70767025_5bc7bd50d4.jpg

Five Hour

70767026_5504dbaa53.jpg

I think it's safe to say we have a winner at this point. I'll finish the burn tomorrow for documentation purposes but I think for all intents and purposes, we're done here. ;)

• 6 months later...

IMO I think the HTP 1212 is a little small. That's a great burn if you like a shell to your pillars.

I like my pillars to curl in at the top and self consume as they burn, but of course without a blow-out.

OOPS!!! I was talking about Paraffin and this is SOY.

I settled on the NGI pillar wax as I have had such great luck with their votive blend as well as the CB Advanced (not to mention the fact that I just reconciled the wicking with the new version of CBA and have come to learn that it is now being discontinued grrr)...oh well back to plan A.

Thanks for the pix, they are great. I would be afraid to wick up any more than your winning pillar, I would be THRILLED with that. I have questions, who is NGI? Is it Nature's Garden??

Thanks everyone! They are very shiny/glossy. 1312's blow out. Soy pillars are so tricky and I would rather end up with a bit of a shell than blow. :D

I know what you mean about soy pillars, it's a harder wax and does not curl at the top like paraffin so you have to wick them down.

• 5 months later...