Soy Roma Candles

Does anybody know anything about these candles? They are selling like crazy! You can dip your fingers into the wax and rub the wax on your hands for instant spa-type hand therapy. Their web site states that the candle melts at two degrees above body temperature. My sister bought one and the only ingredient listed on the container is soybean oil. It does feel good - I tried it. However, if one can make a candle like this simply by doing whatever has to be done to solidify soybean oil, why are we all putting so much effort into trying to make soy candles with wax? The web site is www.soyromacandles.com. Thanks for any comments I am somewhat bewildered by this.

Georgia II

Does anybody know anything about these candles? They are selling like crazy! You can dip your fingers into the wax and rub the wax on your hands for instant spa-type hand therapy. Their web site states that the candle melts at two degrees above body temperature. My sister bought one and the only ingredient listed on the container is soybean oil. It does feel good - I tried it. However, if one can make a candle like this simply by doing whatever has to be done to solidify soybean oil, why are we all putting so much effort into trying to make soy candles with wax? The web site is www.soyromacandles.com. Thanks for any comments I am somewhat bewildered by this.

Georgia II

Wow, that is interesting. You would think that if it melts that easy the meltpool would get too deep to quick with a wick and especially the two wicker. Maybe I am wrong. They have a pretty site and I notice that they have one of the jars that I have (the square footed one). However, they have a frosted one. I wonder where they got them. I would like to order one of those candles to see how they are.

Thanks for posting this. I wish I knew more about it but this is the first time I have heard of it. I wonder where they get that kind of soy wax. Maybe someone will chime in here with knowledge on this one.

~Holly

I normally don't like to bash other people's products but I don't like how they have so many misleading things they say about their products. The number one issue I have is that they claim to be 100% natural. We all know they have at least 5-10% FO in their candles. They should be listing this too if they are listing ingredients. And what a gimmick, to use the candle wax to moisturize your skin. It seems a little inconvenient to have to light your candle when you want some lotion. I wouldn't want that much FO on my skin, lotions don't have that same concentration.

I normally don't like to bash other people's products but I don't like how they have so many misleading things they say about their products. The number one issue I have is that they claim to be 100% natural. We all know they have at least 5-10% FO in their candles. They should be listing this too if they are listing ingredients. And what a gimmick, to use the candle wax to moisturize your skin. It seems a little inconvenient to have to light your candle when you want some lotion. I wouldn't want that much FO on my skin, lotions don't have that same concentration.

I totally agree, and customers don't know the difference between other manufacturer's candles and will turn around and use another candle that is NOT skin safe and hurt themselves. One more thing to put on the dang warning label.

Georgia II

DANGEROUS!!! I WISH this myth would die!!! I'm serious. The use of candles as lotion is a dangerous practice AND advertising.

Let me list the dangers for you:

1.) STICKING YOUR FINGERS NEAR FLAME!!

2.) Getting flammable material on your fingers while they are near a FLAME!!

3.) In case nobody knows this..its the WAX vapors that burn just like gasoline. Now imagine coating your hands in gasoline and then lighting a cigarrette...would YOU do that? Of COURSE NOT! Its the same thing with wax....

4.) CANDLE COLORANTS ARE NOT BODY SAFE!!!!

5.) FO concentrations are higher in candles than in bath and body products. So even though the FO's might be body safe, would you put 6-10% FO in a regular B&B lotion??? No, why? Because the scent would overpower everything.

Please! Please!! STOP THIS PRACTICE. If you see another candlemaker doing this, please tell them to STOP. This is a dangerous advertising campaign.

Soy wax itself added to a lotion base or used for a lotion base is WONDERFUL stuff. BUT don't sell your candles as double duty...its not only dangerous its LAZY!!! Just make the lotion.

Everything that Cet said!!!

And.....above everything else, I am totally turned off by any candle that would have a melt point that low, even if it wasn't marketed as it is. If it goes liquid at 100.6° can you imagine the freakin' mess these things would be under moderate conditions anywhere? Left in a car after shopping on a mildly warm day.....anywhere near a sunny window, etc? The would soften up enough to make a gooey mess at ridiculously low temperatures. No thanks.

I don't like the idea they tell people to put the hot wax on their hands.WRONG IMO.I would never tell anyone to do that.A few ladies came to me at a show once and wanted to know if I let people do it with my candles as a lady down from me was letting people.I said never heard of it and I wouldn' t reccommend it.They said Oh feel how soft my hands are.I like it.

Well I won't do it and won't tell my customers to either.I do have insurance but won't make that a selling point.To me kinda fishy you know what I mean.Oh my husband decides to try it and says it is not hot.After they left we had a talk. He agreed with me.

So if this wax is so good then they should make a lotion stick.let it harden and sell it.Not use hot wax.

Another thought: All of those candles may not be skin safe so they let people put it on their hands.Some cinnamon candles should not be used in lotions etc.So put a cinnamon stick hot candle on your hand.Not a good idea.

LynnS