Soy Crayons

deb426

Does anyone have instructions to make soy crayons? I googled it but I am not coming up with much specific information. I would like to know what type of soy wax is used and whether there are any additives. Also, what kind of dye is best. Anyone make these?

TIA,

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

Soy crayons are a neat idea. The only thing is that they become soft or slimey when held in your hand to long. Is there something we can add to the wax to make them harder?

Edited by Dolphin146

Mabe some steric?

I've never made them before but if it works for candles and soap maybe it will for the crayons? Just guessing at that one.

Sounds like a really cute idea....something my grandson would love.

played around with these today... I used my GB464, because I had some left over that wouldnt fit into my big container. I used 1oz, and after testing with different amounts of colorant, it took a full tsp of TKB colorant to get a still VERY light colored crayon when it was cooled. However, that was with tangerine.. which is light in soap too.

So I went on to testing the rest of my colors in my pop set.. they all took quite a bit of color, although not all took a full tsp. WAY more than we would ever use in even a 4 pound batch of soap, for just a one ounce crayon though.

I am going to test with dye chips next.. I found this online (To get vibrant colors I needed to add 4 colorant wax chips to 1 cup of the unmelted soy wax chips)

...but the reason I used the pops first was because I had found soy crayons online that said they used natural mineral colorants. So, I thought I'd give it a shot. (From Bella Luna Toys..."Crayon rocks are completely non-toxic, made from all natural soy wax grown in the USA, and tinted with natural mineral powders.")

Dont get me wrong, they are lovely, and my kids love them- but they use alot of powder.

Liquid colorants are worth a shot too, I would think. Something fun I can do with the kids, so I will keep testing!

Well I tried making some last night. I used ECOSOYA PB and liquid dye from peaks. I used 20 drops in 8oz of melted wax. When I tried to write with the red one it was light in color and the blue one I made was also very light. I am gonna try two different dye chips one is all soy and the other is ready glow I will post results when I am done. I am hoping the chips work these are really a cute idea and my grandson would really love them If I can get the colors right.

I tried a small batch of these using C3 and some beeswax for hardness. I used liquid dye. I made purple ones. They turned out okay with a nice color, similar to a regular crayon but not as dark. Still tweaking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very interesting. I haven't tried making crayons. Could be a fun summer project. But sounds like the dying part is an issue. My mom used to melt old crayons down to reuse when I was little. They weren't my favorite crayons, but I always thought it was kinda interesting. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Investments in research by the soybean industry have enabled important innovations to take place. One of these inovations is the soy crayon. Crayons have always been made with petroleum-based parrafin wax.

Edited by TexasBrat

Investments in research by the soybean industry have enabled important innovations to take place. One of these inovations is the soy crayon. Crayons have always been made with petroleum-based parrafin wax.

Yeah, so what?

Edited by TexasBrat