What are these and do any of you use them?

I was browsing candle makers on facebook and came across a picture of some candles cooling using a device I've never seen before to secure the wick. I was wondering what it is and if any of you use them? They appear to be through the wick...

26285_416191521489_206239751489_5690179_3860079_n.jpg

Those look like metal cooking skewers, but I'm the country girl who'd never seen mottled wax before, so don't take my word for it. LOL :cheesy2:

Wouldn't that damage the wick in some way, or is the impaled part higher up than the 1/4 inch mark on the wick?

We use a standard jelly jar for our container candles, and the small wick centering tool from Peak works for us.

It is a small cooking/grilling skewer. I have a pack of them w/ my candle stuff, but don't remember what great idea I had when I got them! LOL I *think* I found them at Dollar Tree, but it was a long time ago.

Susan.

I just noticed they pierced the wick! That's pretty cool, actually. I originally thought they were wrapping the wick around the skewer & thought that would sure be a pita, cause the skewers are really thin & lightweight. I think I'm going to have to dig those little boogers out again!

Susan.

Those look like metal cooking skewers, but I'm the country girl who'd never seen mottled wax before, so don't take my word for it. LOL :cheesy2:

lol! To me they look about the size of the skewers I buy in a kit with string and use to lace up my turkey's butt at Thanksgiving! :) I use those little things for a lot more than what they were intended for, but I never thought of using them for this!

Edited by mzpickles
clarity

I agree with Jonsie, looks like as the wax cools they are going to move about and you would have to keep centering the wick. Also looks like it would be more time consuming have to stick them in the wick.

Funny how we all have different preferences. I think the wick centering tools look like a pita ... go figure. The skewers may be going in random directions, but all the wicks look centered to me. Hey, aren't these the 7.5oz cubes that gives everyone wicking fits!?!

Susan.

Funny how we all have different preferences. I think the wick centering tools look like a pita ... go figure. The skewers may be going in random directions, but all the wicks look centered to me. Hey, aren't these the 7.5oz cubes that gives everyone wicking fits!?!

I was just thinking the same thing and wondering what wax they are using and what wicks!:laugh2:

I am getting ready to pour some more tonight with htp's and lx's. Still burning the zinc down to see how it's going to do at the bottom of the jar. The frustrating part is I don't get the soot until the last part of the jar. The cd seemed to be the one until I got down there and saw that black soot on the side.:confused: