FO Containers

I hate to waste FO so I got some plastic bottles at the beauty supply that have spouts on them. I am hoping this helps stop the FO from dribbling down the bottle and on my hands. They come in 4oz, 8oz & 16oz. Testing out the 4oz ones.

Kay

P1010767.jpg

if you are storing in those be aware that some FOs or components of FOs will leach out through them. you will see them becoming kinda dented in. ok for short term storage, but not great.

you can get those tops, though, to fit your regular bottles in many cases.

I wasnt sure if the FO would leach out or not I know that some FO come in plastic bottles. Might check into getting just the caps if I have problems with the bottles. I had a 1 oz sample bottle of vanilla that came in a plastic bottle I never used it was at least 6 years and it never leached at all. The bottles were cheap only $1.59 ea.

Kay

I did some research on the plastic bottles that I got at the beauty supply and they are HDPE type bottles. They are the same type of plastic bottles that suppliers use for their FO bottles. So I dont think there should be a problem with them leaching.

High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)

RecyclingHDPE3.jpgis the most widely used resin for extrusion blown plastic bottles. HDPE is economical, impact resistant, and provides a good moisture barrier. HDPE is best known for its naturally translucent appearance and flexibility. It is compatible with a wide range of products including acid concentrates and some caustics, but is not compatible with solvents. It is usually supplied in FDA approved food grade. HDPE is naturally translucent and flexible. The addition of color will make HDPE opaque although not glossy. HDPE offers good protection at below freezing temperatures, but must not be used with products filled at over 180°F or products requiring a hermetic seal.

Kay

Although many suppliers use HDPE plastic bottles it doesn't matter. You will still get that pucker on the bottle. Thats why some suppliers prefer using the glass amber bottles to package their oils. There are special caps with pour spouts for the glass bottles too.

Now this is something I haven't heard about ... and I store all my oils in glass. Would love to see them!

Now that I mentioned it I have been trying to remember where I first got them. I have several that I just keep recycling. They are black caps with pour spouts that fit on my glass amber bottles. If I remember correctly they came from BW oils I ordered. When the oil ran out I just kept the black caps and continue to use them. They fit nicely on the 8 oz glass amber bottles. Tried them on the 1 lb bottles but they don't fit those.

Edited by Candybee

I just spoke with CS and they are in the process of changing their FO packaging from glass to plastic bottles.

I also made the sugguestion that they check into using the spout top caps on their FO bottles.

Here is a short video clip from CS home page.

http://www.candlescience.com/about/amber-plastic-bottles.php

Kay

that is really going to suck, I prefer amber glass. Plastic? Really? Oh well I'll just transfer them into glass when they do.

kyme

I just spoke with CS and they are in the process of changing their FO packaging from glass to plastic bottles.

I also made the sugguestion that they check into using the spout top caps on their FO bottles.

Kay

Peak Candle supply switch to the plastic amber bottles a couple years ago. I still switch them to glass if I am not going to use them up pretty quick I believe AH use the clear one made from the same stuff. They are much better than HDPE plastic bottles.

I'm happy CS will switch to plastic.

My last shipping with UPS has been a mess, 6 bottles out of 10 broke.

Also shipping will be less, plastic is lighter than glass.

I use Peak's FOs and never head a problem with their plastic bottles, even after a couple of years FO and bottles are still great.

I never had a problem with the plastic containers either. I have oils that are 4 years old in their original plastic container and they are still good. I just would not spend extra money on more plastic bottles or glass bottles when the ones I use are fine. And if they don't have a pour type cap I recycle caps or buy new pour type caps.

Kay

I love the scents I have gotten from CS and am glad to hear they are going to plastic, one it has to be cheaper to ship and to buy for them, (I could be wrong.)

I get multiple size bottles (plastic) with the flip tops at http://www.sks-bottle.com you can get them with lids, without, and last I knew they had a sample bag that came with 1oz, 2oz etc. They also sell the caps separately-but they are in a large bulk amount.

Most suppliers who use HDPE recommend that you transfer your FOs to better bottles when you receive them. They choose HDPE because they're cheap for them to stock and to ship.

FNWL "Our 16 oz. and 1 gallon bottles of fragrance oil are shipped in plastic HDPE bottles. We recommend that you transfer these oils to glass bottles upon receipt. "

FOH: "We package our oils only in HDPE plastic bottles for shipment saving you on shipping costs. We recommend that once you receive your oils, they be stored in a cool, dry place and never store in direct sunlight nor in your kitchen. It is recommended to store your fragrance oils in glass amber bottles. "

Aussie Soap Supplies "However, if you order the 2.5kg size, these come in an HDPE Jerry Can and we recommend this be re-packed into Amber Glass Bottles for storage."

Edited by CareBear

Hmmm I must have missed that in the past. I have also kept mine in the bottle they came in and never had an issue with leakage (as long as the top is screwed on good), and my scents are fine. With the amount I stock I would have to soak a lot of money into glass. But a good thing to hear about. Guess I am bad at reading the fine print.

It's not a matter of leakage. Some components of the fragrance oil can leach out through the plastic. This could cause you to lose FO altogether, or if only some components leach through and others don't it could (in theory) change the character of your FO.

It's not an issue with all oils, or all components. But it's something to be aware of.