Label Design Idea

ckelley116

I have been using clear labels on my candles up until now, but somewhere along the way Online Labels seems to have changed the labels I get - I used to get a beautiful adhesion and you could barely tell there was even a label on the jar, but now I get air pockets and white lines and no matter what I do they will not go on smoothly! So I'm making the switch to white labels. I came up with an idea and would like some feedback on it if you don't mind :smiley2:

They are 4" x 1.75", which will fit both my 7.75 oz and 12 oz straight-sided jars (that have the black lug lids). I'm going for simple clean lines with sort of an elegant, upscale look. On the first one, the fragrance name is colored to match the color of the candle (which, of course, I would change up depending on the fragrance). I wasn't sure how I liked that so I did a second one with the fragrance in black. Also, I've always kept my labels very basic but thought adding the "hand-poured, highly fragranced, premium candles" might be a nice touch. Not sure how I feel about that either but I trust the people here to give me honest feedback. Thanks a lot in advance!

labelidea.jpg

labelidea2.jpg

First of all, I really like the design. I think I prefer the second label simply because I think if you're going for an upscale look, "less is more". I would keep it simple. For the same reason, I'm not sure I would want the price on the label for everyone to see what I paid for it, if I had purchased the item. JMO but I really do like the look.

I like the label also but I like the one that has the fragrance the same color as the candle. It just looks more interesting to me, especially if its going to be on a white label. I would stick with the all black if it were on the clear label. :smiley2:

I personally like the first one the best. I think the second one is a little to plain. And I like the idea of the scent name in color to match the candle. It just makes the candle and the label seem to coordinate really well together when you see it like that.

First of all you did a nice job! I like the first one the best as well but agree that I would take the price off of the label. I love simple and clean lines but think that different font combinations and colors makes a label pop.

I think you have just the right amount of information to not clutter the label but get the important information on there.

Hi Colleen,

I love the first one.....Simple, clean and elegant.....

How bout on the bottom where you have hand poured, etc.....instead of those asterisks try that wavy hyphen

hand poured ~ highly scented ~ soy candles

I can't remember....are your candles soy?

I agree too....without the price on the label.....

Trapp

Hi Colleen,

I love the first one.....Simple, clean and elegant.....

How bout on the bottom where you have hand poured, etc.....instead of those asterisks try that wavy hyphen

hand poured ~ highly scented ~ soy candles

I can't remember....are your candles soy?

I agree too....without the price on the label.....

Trapp

That is exactly what I was thinking...

I like the 2nd one, but the home fragrance is off center. The other thing that catches my eye is your price of your candles, but as long as you can make a profit I guess it is fine.

Thanks for the feedback :) The "home fragrance" is off-center on purpose - I tried it centered and believe me, it was one of those instances where continuation and flow won out over symmetry (my college design instructors would be so proud!) As for my price, I do appreciate the concern. I've done my research and found my prices to be comparable to those in my area and yes, I do make a profit! I'm not setting the world on fire - yet - but another part of my business involves graphic design and the business I get from that helps negate any loss in profit on the candle side.

Thank you everyone! I think I have a pretty good idea now of how my label should look. You've been a great help :cheesy2:

PS. Trapp, no soy for me. I'm a paraffin girl!

I like both, whatever you choose will be great, the only thing I noticed is that "home fragrances" seems predominant over your business name.

I read that before the rest.

It could be smaller or thinner, I know it depends on the font you are using.

Just my opinion!

Great job anyway!

I know you commented on the feedback, but I would still like to make a comment as well. I really like your labels. Simple and elegant.

-The color matching the fragrance is a great idea. I would keep that.

-I would be weary of putting the candle price on the label. Main reason is that if you decide to change your prices for some reason, you would have to go though and relabel them. That would seem like a pain in the butt to me.

-on the first label where you have the hand poured... phrase. Part of me says take that off and put it on a business card, but part of me is saying to keep it on. So I keep going back and forth on that and not much help on that.

- i liked the off center look the the home fragrance part of the name. I thought it flowed very nicely together.

Overall, great label.

I like the bottom much better now, it gives alot of good info in a nice compact space. I don't know why but now I seem to be seeing alot of negative space...or back ground space. I don't think it would be an issue if it were on the clear label but since it will be white I'm seeing alot of white space jump out at me.

I would love to see what it would look like on the candle...maybe that would make a difference. Anyway it is a great looking label but that was just my first impression this time....:embarasse

I don't know why but now I seem to be seeing alot of negative space...or back ground space. I don't think it would be an issue if it were on the clear label but since it will be white I'm seeing alot of white space jump out at me.

I agree - seeing it on the candle is so different than looking on a computer screen! But I think you might be onto something. There's no reason I have to have a label that wraps halfway around - I can use a smallish rectangular label just on the front. I found one that's 2.5" x 1.563" and cropped off all that extra space on the sides. How's this? (last time, I promise!)

beachdaisiessamplelabel.gif

Could we see it on a jar, please? It might help to see the whole product.

That would be great to see it on the Jar!

Is there anyway to connect your black lines that are at the top and bottom to form a box around your lettering? This would frame it and give it a more defined space as opposed to the open ends which make me feel like it is continuing off the label. Sorry, I'm sure that sounds weird, I don't know how else to describe what I mean...lol

I ordered the labels yesterday - they should be here Monday, so I'll print off a few and stick them on the jars when I make my testers for the summer scents I plan to try out. I'll post a pic when they're ready to go. Thanks for all the suggestions!