Knitting needles?

Sharon in KY

Just starting to learn, going to take lessons and I have bought some supplies. One friend says to buy the short bamboo with the plastic wire going from one needle to the other. Says after using these she didn't want any other. The other says to buy the bamboo about 1 foot long, they are perfect. For those that have tried both or maybe not which needles do you prefer? Thanks.:confused:

It will take you a while to figure out what you like, buy whatever you like or is cheaper. I keep hearing people say that bamboo is so wonderful, I personally hate most of mine, and usually knit with metal (for smaller needles) or plastic. I personally don't like circulars either, except for huge items like afghans, but a lot of people love them. Just get started with something, and you'll soon find what works best for you.

There is a huge knitting forum called ravelry, and another called knitting help. If you are interested in knitting, you might have fun going to those.

I like the circulars so I don't have to worry about my project coming off the needle. As for bamboo, I use those as they are easy to get at most craft stores but I really love my Addi's which make knitting super fast. I also like the Bryspun which are white plastic and they are nice too. The only negative about the bamboo are the dull points at the tips. I like needles with a nice point but the bamboo douple pointed needles are much better than the circulars. I say try each type out and decide yourself. I have an array of brands and types and use them all, even the cheapie ones you can get at Walmart that are metal.

Well I bought the bamboo circle size 15 but the plastic loops around twice and is so stiff it's like a Slinky... I got this yarn going every which way and the needles are springing out of my hands. Think I'll take them back and look for something softer and shorter for the plastic connector.

Tried some fun fur the eyelash stuff to practice and I need a pointy needle to get under it. (expert already) Man this knitting stuff is soooooooo relaxing.:confused:

Been watching lots of you-tube videos over and over. I think they really help to see each of the beginning steps. Like a slip knot, wow can some make it so hard looking??? I am definitely not into the long tail cast on thing.

Thanks you all. I'm going to WalMart then to the knitting store to see all the options. Need a smilie for money flying out of my wallet.

• 3 weeks later...
Sharon,

Let me suggest the circulars from knitpicks.com. The wire between the needles doesn't flip around and is very flexible. I've used the circulars from the store and I know exactly what you're talking about!!!

I think I saw those, but I will check them out. Thanks. Why would companies use such a non flex plastic? The thicker coated wire used for jewelry would be so nice.

Now I'm trying to knit a row without winding up with 1 or 2 extra stitches. I have even started putting those rings at every 2 stitches and still have messed up. Everytime I think I'm on a roll I hold my scarf up to the light and see a big hole. WTF am I doing wrong? There is just too much hairy

yarn.

I'm holed up in bed at the moment due to some health issues and to stop myself from going insane I bought some knitting needles and some of what I think is the same sort of wool you're using....the feathery stuff?

I've never really knitted in my life so I feel I'm being as adventuresome as you in using this particular wool.

I'm not so much getting holes (that I can see anyway) but I started with 26 stiches across for this scarf and so far it's fluctuated between that and 23 and now I'm settling for 25 and TRYING to stay there! It's looking a bit woozy in places.:rolleyes2

Can't give you any advice - obviously, but I can sympathise, lol.....this fluffy stuff is darned hard to work with!

I've never heard of some of those needles you ladies are talking about! I'm just using plain old fashioned straight metal ones and that's tricky enough!

Edited by Desertrose

If you are starting, I'd go with bamboo because it's not as slick as the metal ones so the work won't slip off as easy, but that's my personal preference. I personally am not a fan of using circulars for anything other than knitting blankets or something with a lot of stitches, if I am knitting in the round, I use double points.

It takes awhile to get your tension right and all that, it took me about a month when I first started (5 years ago now, or maybe it was 6?)

to make a "perfect" scarf. I would start off with 17 stitches and end up with 23 or 16 LOL But eventually, I got it down, now I'm a knittin' fool! LOL

Sharon,

Let me suggest the circulars from knitpicks.com.!

Well, I just had to order a couple. Ordered the wood, they are so pretty and the clear plus the removable cable. Should be here any day... Also bought some bamboo at Overstock that had the plastic but it was cut with a large wooden bead on the end. Also metal needles that have the plastic, the needles are real short, I don't like them, just can't hold onto the needles.

Found some more Fancy Fur and Fun Fetti at The Christmas Tree Store for a dollar a skein. They will make some fun scarfs.

Now to work on tension and stitches. Is tension keeping the yarn towards the tip of the needles? I'm trying to do that but it's hard. Or is it how tight you wrap the loose thread? What's the main reason a stitch is added. I can't figure out what I do to cause this? Thanks for everyone's help....

It may also be how tense your hands are when knitting, if they are not relaxed then you will wrap tighter and just knit tighter. Shake your hands out and just let it flow, don't worry if you make mistakes, you can always fix them. Or just practice knitting a few squares that could be dishcloths. When I first knitted I knitted a purse that I felted and what's cool about felting is if you make mistakes knitting they are all hidden when you felt it. I was more relaxed when I knew my mistakes would never be seen. Maybe play some soft music in the background to help you relax.

Thanks to you all.

I love the new needles from Knitpicks. The cable is nice and flexy, doesn't get in the way. So nice to be able to unscrew the needles, cap the cable and use the needles on something else. I should have bought more cables. Next time......

Thanks to you all.

I love the new needles from Knitpicks. The cable is nice and flexy, doesn't get in the way. So nice to be able to unscrew the needles, cap the cable and use the needles on something else. I should have bought more cables. Next time......

Sounds cool. I have never bought neeldes from them but I just might someday. I like the price of their wool yarn, it is very affordable.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to read the responses...

I find I like different needles, depending on the job I'm doing. Sometimes I like the click and slip of the aluminum (the yarn slides off easier, and I can knit faster), but other projects require the yarn to hold a bit better on the needles, and that's where the bamboo comes in handy. There's also the plastic ones, which are nice because they don't get hot or cold (like aluminum can be cold).

Sigh. So many choices. ;)