Absolute Best Wax For Tarts or Melts

Woodcreek

you may want to get a little sample of the 444 and try just to see what you think about it??? I LOVE it. Some scents i use CO in, but i dont have to use it for all FO. I guess you also have to see what local suppliers carry as well, when looking into options. good luck w/ finding something that works for ya! Can be frustrating sometimes, but i love this site, great people to resource to!

And so you used to use the Ecosoya PB and that is what you switched from? And if yes, yours now has a better throw hot & cold? How much fo do you use with the crystal pillar palm wax and do you use additives? And what is the melt point (another person said her warmer would not melt this wax?)

Yes I switched to a palm pillar wax because I really love the crystal patterns and the hot throw. I only use 1 oz FO per lb and the only additive I put in is UV inhibitor and candle dye. The melt point changes when you put in additives so I don't know exactly what the new one would be but it would be slightly lower than 136 degrees. Its melt point is in the same working range as tart/votive/pillar waxes go.

As far as melting goes I use several different makes and models of electric and tea lite meltors and have no problem whatsoever. I am aware that there are some meltors that have a lower voltage or use the lightbulb as the source to warm the melt. I used to have one or two of these myself and they didn't exactly melt parrafin melts all that well either.

I am finding that the palm melts as easily as soy and easier than parrafin melts. All in all I am very happy with the quality of the palm and don't intend to go back to soy or parrafin melt making.

Yes I switched to a palm pillar wax because I really love the crystal patterns and the hot throw. I only use 1 oz FO per lb and the only additive I put in is UV inhibitor and candle dye. The melt point changes when you put in additives so I don't know exactly what the new one would be but it would be slightly lower than 136 degrees. Its melt point is in the same working range as tart/votive/pillar waxes go.

As far as melting goes I use several different makes and models of electric and tea lite meltors and have no problem whatsoever. I am aware that there are some meltors that have a lower voltage or use the lightbulb as the source to warm the melt. I used to have one or two of these myself and they didn't exactly melt parrafin melts all that well either.

I am finding that the palm melts as easily as soy and easier than parrafin melts. All in all I am very happy with the quality of the palm and don't intend to go back to soy or parrafin melt making.

I like the fact that you are very certain and firm about never switching back. Does the palm pillar wax also have a good cold throw?

And do you mind if I ask where you purchase it from?

Edited by Woodcreek

I think it has a good cold throw but I am more impressed with the hot. At craft shows I see customers tend to swarm around the melts table and I hear a lot of ooooo's and awwwww's. LOL

I purchase my wax from both CS (Crystal Pillar Palm) and C&S (Star Burst Pillar Palm). I have also started testing the Glow Palm for making tarts and so far am pleased with the results. I made a few with the GP over the xmas holidays and loved them.

I use the fluted metal tart molds and when the wax is cooled you can flip the mold over and the tart falls right out. I really love how easy it releases from my molds.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 12/19/2020 at 11:13 AM, Belinda said:

You can use 4786 for melts but you need to add some pillar wax to it. I actually have used it alone for shapes and it was fine. Surprisingly it holds its shape and doesn't smudge but I think it will hold up better with some pillar wax mixed in. I haven't used it alone for clams so I can't say how it does with those.

I add FO at 180-185. 

Thanks so much! I have been using 4786 in silicone molds only for wax melts. I really like it but not sure if scent throw is all what it should be.

Due to the fact it's a container wax will that hinder my scent throw? I have been told to switch to Para Soy instead so confused. I do add FO 175- 180

Belinda would Para Soy give me better scent throw? I have about 80 pounds of 4786 to use first however. Grrrrr

I sure appreciate any help!!!!

On 12/31/2020 at 1:40 PM, Cathydiamond said:

Thanks so much! I have been using 4786 in silicone molds only for wax melts. I really like it but not sure if scent throw is all what it should be.

Due to the fact it's a container wax will that hinder my scent throw? I have been told to switch to Para Soy instead so confused. I do add FO 175- 180

Belinda would Para Soy give me better scent throw? I have about 80 pounds of 4786 to use first however. Grrrrr

I sure appreciate any help!!!!

I have gotten great throw with para/soy and straight paraffin. I believe the strength of the oil is the biggest factor in throw, along with methods and warmer, place warmer is etc. I think 4786 is a great wax and use it. I mix it with 4625 for shapes and am planning to try it with 4794. I'm not sure why I haven't settled on any specific wax yet though LOL! Maybe one day I will. I honestly can't tell a difference in throw with any of the waxes or wax combinations I've tried as long as I use a good oil.

• Like 2