4045 Wax, opinions/suggestions/information needed please.

Hi all. I am new to this site and would appreciated any information you could send my way. I have been making candles for years, quit selling after becoming pregnant with my 3rd son and now only make for myself. I have been viewing all of the mottled candles in the gallery and they are all absolutly beautiful. I would love to try my hand at them. I have done some research and found a wax at Candlewic called 4045. I was wondering if anyone could offer their opinion on this wax. Would you suggest I use stearic with this wax? Any other recommendation or suggestion you would like to share? All information is appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and have a great day!

The 4045H is a GREAT mottling wax. It almost mottles just by looking at it :yay:.

You can use a small amount of stearic to help with oil retention, or you can use some of the Vybar 343, it won't inhibit the mottle. It's a matter of preference, and results with your oils. It also can do a nice rustic if you want it to. It really is a nice wax IMO. HTH.

The 4045H is a GREAT mottling wax. It almost mottles just by looking at it :yay:.

You can use a small amount of stearic to help with oil retention, or you can use some of the Vybar 343, it won't inhibit the mottle. It's a matter of preference, and results with your oils. It also can do a nice rustic if you want it to. It really is a nice wax IMO. HTH.

I agree. For a creamy look, you can add Vybar 103. I made some votives with Vybar 103 added and they turned out very smooth and creamy looking.

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

You'll find all kinds of threads about this wax if you do a search here on it :)

Thanks so much for the nice welcome. I am loving this board. I searched the board and found tons of great information. I ordered the wax and can't wait to try it out. :yay:

Steve, thank you as well for the information. Your candles in the gallery are just beautiful. If I can't achieve the look I am after this the 4045, I will be contacting you to purchase some candles. ;) Thanks again all!

Welcome to the board! Nice to have you join us. Are you using the 4045 or the 4045H. I thought Candlewic stopped carrying the "H". If its the 4045, I use it and although it is not classified as a mottling wax...it mottles beautifully, holds quite a bit of FO, and the hot and cold throw is much better than a lot of the other straight paraffin waxes I have used. I use 1 tsp vybar 343 pp of wax, 1.5 oz. of FO and dye to make my mottles. I pour around 180 and let cool at room temperature and they mottle great. Good luck and make sure you show us your creations in the Gallery.

Welcome to the board! Nice to have you join us. Are you using the 4045 or the 4045H. I thought Candlewic stopped carrying the "H". If its the 4045, I use it and although it is not classified as a mottling wax...it mottles beautifully, holds quite a bit of FO, and the hot and cold throw is much better than a lot of the other straight paraffin waxes I have used. I use 1 tsp vybar 343 pp of wax, 1.5 oz. of FO and dye to make my mottles. I pour around 180 and let cool at room temperature and they mottle great. Good luck and make sure you show us your creations in the Gallery.

I use the 4045H and love it. Yup candlewic still has it. It is in their candlwic blends section

Thank you for the wonderful welcome. I believe it was the 4045H. I found it under Candlewic Blends (or something like that). What is the difference between the 4045 and the 4045H?

Also thank you for the information on the additives and the amounts you use. IF I can make anything half decent with this wax I most certainly will post pics. Again, thank you...I can't wait to try this wax. :)

I'd be interested to hear more reviews about this wax. I tried 4045H and could not get it to hold oil even with vybar 343. I went back to 1343 but if someone has found a formula they are willing to share, I'd give it another try. BTW, how does it compare to 1343? (It's been a while since I tested it, curious what others have to say.) In the meantime, I'll dig up my notes and post here.

I'd be interested to hear more reviews about this wax. I tried 4045H and could not get it to hold oil even with vybar 343.

Oh now don't tell me that, I just ordered a whole case of this wax. ;) I had to order a case to meet the minimum order amount. Oh well, I will play and learn...that's part of the fun.

I also plan to sample the wax you're using now. I love to try new things and experiment.

BethVT uses the 4045H and it mottles great...so don't be scared off yet. You can PM her and ask her about it. I've seen some of her mottled candles and they are absolutely beautiful. She switched from 1343 to 4045H for the same reason that I did...1343 doesn't hold much fragrance oil and the throw is not that great, in addition to how the wax bulges when you burn it for long periods of time. Some people have been able to overcome the bulging problems with the addition of several additives but I'd rather not deal with all that extra work you have do in order for it not to happen. You'll find that everyone has a preference for a certain wax so you may find yourself sampling quite a few before you settle on one...or a few...that you'll continue to work with. I'm not really sure what the difference between the 4045 and the 4045H is except that the 4045H seems to mottle more than the 4045. I haven't used the "H" so I haven't had a chance to compare the two. All I know is that I get a very good mottle out of the 4045 so I'm not complaining and the scent throw is very good.

BethVT uses the 4045H and it mottles great...so don't be scared off yet. You can PM her and ask her about it. I've seen some of her mottled candles and they are absolutely beautiful. She switched from 1343 to 4045H for the same reason that I did...1343 doesn't hold much fragrance oil and the throw is not that great, in addition to how the wax bulges when you burn it for long periods of time. Some people have been able to overcome the bulging problems with the addition of several additives but I'd rather not deal with all that extra work you have do in order for it not to happen. You'll find that everyone has a preference for a certain wax so you may find yourself sampling quite a few before you settle on one...or a few...that you'll continue to work with. I'm not really sure what the difference between the 4045 and the 4045H is except that the 4045H seems to mottle more than the 4045. I haven't used the "H" so I haven't had a chance to compare the two. All I know is that I get a very good mottle out of the 4045 so I'm not complaining and the scent throw is very good.

So you have just the 4045? Did you purchase that from Candlewic? I didn't even see that on their site. I will keep in touch with you and let you know how it does for me. I can't wait to try it out. I have used the same waxes since I started making candles, nearly 5 years ago. :) I have tried others, but also stuck with what I knew. If it does well for me, maybe we can swap a few pounds. Then you can try the "H" and I can try the other and see what the difference is. :) I will keep in touch Fern. Thanks so much for all your help.

Oh now don't tell me that, I just ordered a whole case of this wax. ;) I had to order a case to meet the minimum order amount. Oh well, I will play and learn...that's part of the fun.

I also plan to sample the wax you're using now. I love to try new things and experiment.

Don't worry, you bought one of the best paraffins for mottled candles (plus anything else you care to use it for). Mottles can be tricky to make and people get various results but it's not the wax.

Trust Top......he knows everything.....LOL....truly, 4045H is what I use. The 4045 I believe is made in Japan, but the 4045H is Candlewics own. That is why the price is less. They finally discontinued the 4045 because their customers were happy with the "H"......It is easy to mottle. Just add some stearic and you have to experiment.....really. For regular opaque pillars, add a little vybar 103 but not too much.....again, experiment. That is what I do everyday......While I am making all of my regular inventory, there is a little spot I reserve for testing. Always. Donita

I've used many cases of the 4045H and can't imagine using anything else. I use 3 tablespoons of stearic per lb of wax, plus a small amount of vybar 343 and it holds about 1 oz of FO pp of wax.

You can look in the gallery under my user name to see the various mottled and rustic pillars I've made with this wax. It mottles beautifully everytime.

For wicks I use low smoke 19s, but I think Fern said she uses an LX28 and a 62Z works too. (oh, and a 1/0 square braid), so there's a few different wicks to try out.

DanaE

Yeah....what they all said :yay:. As you can see, just about any of us who use this wax, love this wax. I do just like Dana with the stearic and V343. I've been able to eliminate the bulge and in most cases have a 'hug free' candle that can burn for extensive periods of time (although I don't recommend that and certainly don't advertise that to customers, but it's great for marathon testing) without blowouts. I generally use 36 ply in my 3", and have even managed to successfully do 2" pillars (which are notoriously difficult, just ask Fern, lol) with 12 ply.

And like Fern said, I much prefer this over the 1343. It's almost identical in appearance and functionality (mottles, rustics, etc) but it holds more FO.

As for the differences in the 4045's, it has to do with the amount of refining. The 4045 and 4045EP are both highly refined, the 4045 has an oil content of .29, the 4045EP is .18....a very narrow cut paraffin that is cut for cut-n-carve candles. Both are also considered food grade paraffin.

The 4045H is much less refined, it's oil content is .5, and is not food grade. It's formulated to mottle with no additves although they can definitely be used. Not all straight cut paraffins are so easy to mottle.....I've never used the 4045 so can't say, but would take Fern at her word :).

The attached pic shows a good shot of the mottle and a bit of rustic as well. (I know..I've posted it before, but not on the new board, lol, and it's the only decent pic I've taken of pillars).

post-175-139458387179_thumb.jpg

Hey Top.......I'm not arguing with you, as Candlewic's info is a bit contradictory about how refined it is (not that it matters any to most of us, lol) but I can't find anything that states that it is food grade. Am I missing it somewhere? :rolleyes2

Hey Top.......I'm not arguing with you, as Candlewic's info is a bit contradictory about how refined it is (not that it matters any to most of us, lol) but I can't find anything that states that it is food grade. Am I missing it somewhere? :rolleyes2
I've never noticed any contradictory information from Candlewic. Their description of the product is "A specialty formulation of highly refined paraffin waxes that enable the candles to exhibit a full mottling effect." The rest of the info is at the bottom of the Product Data Sheet. One of those FDA certifications is for use in food, and the other is for use in non-food items in contact with food (typically packaging).