Presto Pots Again

Hello again:). If you didn't read my earlier thread, http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91686#post91686, I'm a student in an engineering class and am working on a project involving improving presto pots for candlemaking. I have a few more questions I would like to ask, and would really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to answer them. Thank you for your help!

If you have a presto pot with a spigot,

1. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to have a manual spigot?

2. Would you rather use a presto pot with no spigot, with a manual spigot, or with an electric spigot?

If you have a presto pot without a spigot,

1. Does your pot have no spigot because it is a hassle to install or use one?

2. Would you use a presto pot with an electric spigot?

3. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to use a presto pot with no spigot?

Thanks for taking the time to read it; your answers will be very helpful for my project.

1. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to have a manual spigot? No hassle at all

2. Would you rather use a presto pot with no spigot, with a manual spigot, or with an electric spigot? Whats an electric spigot?? I've never heard of one...

Presto pot WITHOUT a spigot:

1. My pots don't have spigots because I couldn't wait to use them when I got them home, let alone wait for someone to help me install a spigot.

2. No I would not use one w/ an electric spigot.

3. It is no hassle at all w/o a spigot and I prefer it that way. I pour from the presto to the pouring pot over a cookie sheet, so I can reuse what ever wax drips.

Not necessarily a hassle, I just don't need it.

2. Would you use a presto pot with an electric spigot? no

3. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to use a presto pot with no spigot? No hassle at all, the pot is very lightweight. Very easy to pour into pour pot. Rarely have spills or drips.

1. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to have a manual spigot? Manual is the only kind I have. No hassle.

2. Would you rather use a presto pot with no spigot, with a manual spigot, or with an electric spigot? Tell me more about the electric spigot. I would hate to use a presto without a spigot!

I have both. My friend hasn't gotten around to installing the spigot on my new one. I don't like dipping the cup in to get the wax out. I prefer a spigot. I don't know about an electric spigot either.

To answer your questions in scales -

w/ spigot

1. 0 (Assuming 1 is little hassle, 5 is big hassle)

2. Manual

wo/spigot

1. Can't install it myself

2. Depends on how it works

3. 4

Hello again:). If you didn't read my earlier thread, http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91686#post91686, I'm a student in an engineering class and am working on a project involving improving presto pots for candlemaking. I have a few more questions I would like to ask, and would really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to answer them. Thank you for your help!

1. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to have a manual spigot?

2. Would you rather use a presto pot with no spigot, with a manual spigot, or with an electric spigot?

3. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to use a presto pot with no spigot?

Thanks for taking the time to read it; your answers will be very helpful for my project.

With Spigot

1. Would give a 1. No hassel at all.

2. Manual Spigot (like others, never heard of electric)

I pour from mine directly without a spigot. I've heard that you can't get the last bit of wax out of the bottom with a spigot, so I never installed one. Plus, you have to have the pot near the edge of a counter to use a spigot. To me, that's just an accident waiting to happen. I prefer to have my presto pot towards the back of the counter top. What would be really useful is to have one side of the presto pot actually shaped into a pour spout. Then you wouldn't get drips down the side when you poured from it. I too, don't have any idea what an electric spigot is.

1. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to have a manual spigot? ONE - no hassle at all to have a manual.

2. Would you rather use a presto pot with no spigot, with a manual spigot, or with an electric spigot? manual, i don't have any more room for another electrical connection

1. Does your pot have no spigot because it is a hassle to install or use one? One of my 3 pots doesn't have a spigot, just never got around to getting the parts.

2. Would you use a presto pot with an electric spigot? nope, probably not

3. On a scale of one to five, how much of a hassle is it to use a presto pot with no spigot? TWO, maybe, not much of a hassle - I just pour or dip out of it.

I've got my prestos up on a shelf, and the pot fits underneath the spigot.

Thanks for your replies, everybody. I really appreciate it:).

What I meant by an electric spigot is really that I was thinking of using a solenoid valve or a miniature pump to avoid having to turn the spigot on/off manually.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

I have one presto with spigot and one without.

Both are quite easy to use. The spigot is nice to have for some projects.

If you only want a lb or so in your pot, the spigot works well. If you want 2-3 lbs it's faster to pick up the presto and pour direct into the pot. Electric spigot would be a waste of time/money I think. Manual works fine.

Spigot doesn't work well for GEL. It's way too slow and it plugs up.

Most importantly I think, The only problems I've had with the presto have been due to the spigot. When you empty out the presto to change wax or clean, you (or at least I) tend to leave the spigot open. That results in a very unhappy session the next time you turn it on and throw in some wax. After the 3rd or 4th time you'd think it would be easy to remember to close the damn spigot!

All in all, if I bought another presto I would not bother to put in the spigot.

If you want a worthwhile project, design a pouring pot that doesn't dribble when you pour! Now THAT would be a real hit!

Later;

Dick

1. I Do not use a spigot. Bougth the equipment to do it, but looked like a more of a hassle to me.

2. I would rather not have a spigot since I mix all my waxes,Fo's ect are mixed right into my pot and then I laddle it into my pour pot.

3. Would like a presto pot that would hold more wax!! Ya know, maybe 20 lbs or so... (The turkey roasters just don't heat the wax quick enough):rolleyes2

Using a manual spigiot. An electric one is just something extra to go wrong.

My spigiot is a manual, ball valve spigiot. Ball valves have no washers so you can 'heat gun' the valve if it plugs.

Wouldn't be with out a spigiot.

Soja

Thanks for replying, everybody. Your suggestions have been really helpful in developing my project. Now I have five more questions:

1. How is your spigot attached to your pot? (threaded, welded, etc.)

2. If it is threaded, have you had problems with it due to the threading?

3. Have you worked with spigots attached different ways?

4. Which way worked the best?

5. Would you consider paying $5 to $7 more for an automatic spigot that would remain closed when off that would be securely attached to the pot?

Oh, one more question: Does the presto pot or the spigot get hot to the touch on the outside?

Could this be dangerous with children around?

Thank you for your time and the interest so many of you have shown in my project; I really appreciate it.

Oh, Backwoods - an eletric or automatic spigot would just be a spigot, probably smaller or less bulky than a normal one, with an on/off switch. That way you could just push a button to open and close it, and it would always be closed if the presto were unplugged. I hope that answers your questions.