Lip Balm Questions

msalex28a

Lip balm is so simple to make that I make my own. It depends on what you look for in a formulation if you want to buy a base or do trial and error to make your own. Now that I've got my formulation down, I like to make big batches that are unflavored and use that as my base for small runs of certain flavors.

~Julia

I use sweet almond oil, beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter and vitamin E. There is a lot of debate on the use of shea/cocoa butters in lip balms because they can go grainy. As well, some will debate the use of beeswax over candelila wax or some other vegan wax. It's up to you.

If you google lip balm recipes you will find tons of info. It so easy, it's worth trying your own first. I find making lip balms very calming. :cheesy2:

I prefer to buy a base cause I don't usually have all the ingredients to make my own balm. Although if I did I would definitely make my own.

So far I've tried the bases from WSP and C&S. Both work very nice but I love the one from C&S because of all the natural ingredients in it.

I make my own base so I can get just the right combo of ingredients to suit me. I started with some of teh ingredients on a commercial balm I liked, blended it with a basic balm recipe I found online and then added extra touches. Was really easy and took me only 3 tries to get consistency how I wanted it.

Trudi

So is it cheaper to buy a premade or make your own?

That is a question you need to answer for yourself, factoring in the cost of supplies in amounts you are interested in purchasing, shipping, etc. MY answer won't do you much good because our circumstances are unlikely to be identical.

And of course my recipe won't be identical either. It's marvelous, and while I'm not at all interested in buying a base I don't imagine there's one out there just like it anyway.

Which brings you to the next point - you need to decide if there is a premade base that you are happy with, anyway.

Really, no simple answer to your question - it's going to require some research on your part.

Edited by CareBear

So is it cheaper to buy a premade or make your own?

It's not cheap to do either. If you want cheap, buy Chapstick.

When I started, I listened to several posters who assured me that making a wonderful lip balm was easy, so I gave it a go. Many dollars and batches later I discovered that I was no longer having fun creating batch after batch of "not quite right" lip balm and throwing money away on my own R&D process. When I switched to a base I was much happier.

I feel left out when swap time comes around, as no one wants another tube of the board's most popular base, but for me it works perfectly.

I think the key is that once you have a successful formula making your own lip balm is much cheaper. It's getting that formula perfected that will cost you. Because I didn't stick with the process, I happen to think that buying a base is cheaper. At the very least it saved my nerves a lot of wear and tear!