What happened???????

scrochet

I have used this receipe many times and this has never happened before. The soap cracked along the top of the log.

Ingredients:

Palm Oil

Coconut Oil

Shea Butter

Cocoa Butter

Castor Oil

Rice Bran Oil

Olive Oil

Lemon Pucker FO from BCN

Celestial Colors Iced Lemon (Bottom Layer)

Titanium Dioxide (Top Layer)

The soap is about 14 hrs old in the picture. I dont usually unmold this early but the crack was already there it has deepened since i took it out of the mold.:confused:

CrackedSoapresize.jpg

Edited by scrochet
fix pic

Thanks for such kind words.

Man this soap smells soooo good that we had to make lemon bars to keep from eating the soap.:)

Oh! I forgot to mention that i did not gel so maybe it did cool to quick.

Edited by scrochet
need to add something

She stated she did not gel it, so how could it have over heated? Need more info. Did you prevent gel? Frig or freezer? If not, did it gel and you didn't know it? I have left my to sit, uninsulated and uncovered, and go back to check on it and it is in gel stage. Could you have used less water than normal? Since this a recipe you have used many times before, I would say something in the calc is off. OR, maybe since you had TD in the top layer, it had something to do with it. TD can sometimes make stuff a little funky.

Edited by Judette

I know you said it did not gel, but when you said that, had you cut the loaf? I would go for overheating on the inside, but staying cool on the outside therefore the outside could not expand like the inside, and it cracked. Did you have the loaf in a cool area?

I'm not a soaper, but it looks like it cooled faster on top than on bottom and the top tried to contract. Do soaps shrink like candles do?

I'm thinking that if your mold was insulating the bottom and there was a breeze blowing across the top? AC vent nearby, fan in the room, open window... anything like that?

It just looks like thermal stress that I've seen in everything from wax to steel.

Or I could just be full of shit. <shrug>

Edited: because I spoke without reading the second page...DUH.

Edited by Dustpuuppy