I just wanted to share :)

Loulougirl

I made my 3rd ever bath of soap today! This time, I tried the room temp. method, and used the hot lye/water to melt my hard oils/butters. Easy peasy!! :D

I scented it with blue bubblegum from Daystar, I'm really excited about this one! :D

Hope everyone's having a great week so far!

Congratulations , that is the only way I soap .( room temperature oils and lye)

I believe she said that her oils were room temp and that her lye was HOT. It is sometimes called room temp soaping (RTCP, to be precise).

Unfortunately there is another method called the same thing, where oils and lye are each prepared and allowed to cool to room temp before soaping.

Gotta love us! Lovers of both insist on calling it room temp soaping - neither will give it up LOL.

I'll have to post some pics in the gallery.. lol I did swirl pink and blue across the top, and it looks pretty decent, if I say so myself! LOL

For my version of "room temp" soaping, this is what I do. I measure all my soft oils into one bowl. My hard into another. I mix up the water/lye and slowly pour it over the hard oils. The heat melts it all pretty quickly. Then I add my soft oils, start using the ol' stickblender, and away we go! lol

I believe she said that her oils were room temp and that her lye was HOT. It is sometimes called room temp soaping (RTCP, to be precise).

Unfortunately there is another method called the same thing, where oils and lye are each prepared and allowed to cool to room temp before soaping.

Gotta love us! Lovers of both insist on calling it room temp soaping - neither will give it up LOL.

Oops missed the hot lye :( , I call my version room temp because both vital ingredients are room temp lol .I know people that melt the oils with the lye call it room temp too , who is right and will we ever know the answer to that question lol.

Ugh!! I am just DYING to step into the soap making world. :( My husband is scared to death to let me do it though, with small children around. :) So, I guess I will have to continue to wait a few more years and live through you all. I love all these techniques.

• 4 weeks later...
Aww, I have little ones too MommaD :) I only soap at night, when they are fast asleep.. or when I've got a day home while they're at school.

Which means, I don't soap nearly as often as I want to! LOL

That's a good idea. :) I have been really researching it and reading a ton of in this forum. I also put some soap making books on my wish list.

Using the lye when its hot to melt your oils makes soaping so easy. It's a great method to use also if you are soaping an FO that tends to move quickly. It can also allow for plenty of time to play with your colors and get some need swirls done.

Yanno, as many times as I've tried I cannot get consistent results with that method.

• 1 month later...

i've tried both melting the oils with hot lye and having both lye and fats at room temperature and the turning point was when i tried to melt palm kernel oil with the hot lye. the hot lye does melt the PKO, but once the soap is made, it looks like sago soap with all the expanded PKO spheres. melting the PKO independently of the lye breaks the cell walls (or whatever) so the PKO blends into the rest of the mix so you can't see the little blobs through the soap.

so for me, melting the oils separately works. to each, their own.