I'm going to make bath bombs for the first time

RWV

Hi all,

I've decided to try making bath bombs. I've got 2 different recipes I'm going to try. They both call for baking soda, citric acid, cornstarch and a light oil. One of the recipes calls for Polysorbate 20. Is it better to use the polysorbate or not? Also, any tips on using the witch hazel while shaping the bombs? I bought the round plastic molds from BC to make the bombs with.

Last question, do you add your fragrance/essential oil at the end or can it be added to the sunflower oil and then mixed in to the dry ingredients?

Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!:cheesy2:

ive never use polysorbate in my bombs and they always turn out just fine.

I love adding powdered milk to my bombs.

I add my fragrance to whatever oil i may be adding at the time, same with whatever color im using.

spritzing the witch hazel works for me until the mixture is like wet sand. Pack those molds good and let them sit for a bit before unmolding to make sure the two halves are stuck together.

Remember if you think you've messed up, dont because it always makes great fizzy bath powder!

Have fun

I use the plastic ornaments to make mine also, and my technique is to fill both sides with the powder almost over fill it then push the halves together and squeeze then wipe off the excess, then I hold it tight in both hands for a minute or two. Then I open one side, then the other, then I can see right away if it is holding together, if it is I gently take it out into my hands and place it on wax paper, very gently.

If it doesn't hold together I do it all over again until it does.

With practice It gets really easy!

Good Luck

I use polysorbate in my bombs to allow the oils to disperse better in the water. I find it makes for a cleaner tub after.

My recipe is very simple, citric acid, backing soda and an oil/butter mixture along with fragrance. I make sure that nothing with water or alcohol is added, as once the fizzing reaction starts, it is hard to stop. My bombs are hard without which hazel, so I never use it.

Work when it is not humid, work dry, and use just enough oils that the mix stays together while pressed, but does not feel wet and you are there.

My recipe is very simple, citric acid, backing soda and an oil/butter mixture along with fragrance. I make sure that nothing with water or alcohol is added, as once the fizzing reaction starts, it is hard to stop. My bombs are hard without which hazel, so I never use it.

john3183, What do you use to mold your bombs? I saw you avatar and I really like the look of yours.

I went to the craft store today to see if I could find those plastic ornament balls but I guess it's too early. There wasn't much x-mas craft stuff out on the shelves. I found some silicon brownie pop molds that look like large gumdrops. I figured these could work until I get my hands on some ornaments.

I ordered my supplies yesterday from WSP. I'm going to try Asheebean's Bubblin Bath Bomb recipe first http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59442

I love the bubbling Bath Salt recipe I got from DeAnna_EC. I'm hoping these bombs foam up nice too!

My problem has always been the temperamental, humid weather here. I didn't have the patience to stick with making these puppies. But reading this gets me inspired to try again now that it is getting cooler out.

If they come out good you can swap 'em in our bath swap. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86494

Even if they don't come out well you can bag 'em up as fizzy powder and still swap. We only need a few more spaces filled. Newbie B&B welcome to join in too!

I've got my supplies this week so I'll be practicing my bombs this weekend.

RWV, How are yours coming along? Haven't heard back from you since you posted this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
If they come out good you can swap 'em in our bath swap. http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86494

Even if they don't come out well you can bag 'em up as fizzy powder and still swap. We only need a few more spaces filled. Newbie B&B welcome to join in too!

I've got my supplies this week so I'll be practicing my bombs this weekend.

RWV, How are yours coming along? Haven't heard back from you since you posted this thread.

Sorry, I've been sick for the past 3 weeks. I did order some ingredients and plan on trying to make them this next weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed. I do have nice candle jars if I have to make it into fizzy powder instead of the bath bombs, though, LOL.

I made my first bombs last week. I tried asheebean's recipe. They work really well but I had a hard time molding them in the meatballer I bought from WSP. I could stuff the two halves of the meatballer but I couldn't get them to stick together. The ones molded in my silicon molds came out best.

The only variation I did was sub half the sea salt for epsom salt. I wonder if that affected them?