FO that throw Great in 464-test results!

Here is a list of FO and suppliers that I have tested and do well in GB464. This testing has been done in 8 oz. JJ using ECO 10 wicks. I add fo between 165 and no more than 175. I try to pour around 170, no cooler than 165. I also make tarts w/ this same wax and pour temps. I will continue to add to this listing, and re-post up dates. Natalie

PS- I always am interested in knowing what others have tested and throws well in this wax!

Candlescience- 1.4 oz/ # wax

Apples and Maple Bourbon

Mac Apple

Blueberry Cheesecake

Pumpkin Souffle

Cinnamon Buns

Banana Nut Bread

Love Spell

Wildberry Mousse

Strudel and Spice

Peak- 1.6 oz./ #wax

Wild Raspberry

Cinnamon Buns- (not as strong as CS however)

Just Scents- 1.5oz/#wax

mulled cider- this is a light scent, but has excellent throw!

Cranberry Spice

I use GB 464 and the majority of the scents I have used come from CandleScience. For some reason, I haven't had much success with Wildberry Mousse. I let it cure for a few days and tested and I could not smell anything. I only did 1 oz of FO. I made one for my sister and let her test it out and she said at first all she could smell is vanilla but once she started burning she said she could smell what it was supposed to be. I made another Wildberry and let it cure for two weeks. Cold throw was strong, but yet again... the hot throw was weak. I was disappointed because there have been rave reviews, but maybe it is just my senses! I will have to revisit that scent in the future.

Here are some that I have tried from CandleScience that throw great in GB 464:

Clean Cotton

Coconut (weak cold throw but great hot throw)

Cranberry Marmalade

Fresh Coffee (a little on the sweet side)

Kiwi

Lavender Vanilla

Lime Cooler

Rain Water

Sex on the Beach

Sweet Pea

Very Vanilla

Watermelon

I heat wax to 175-185, add my FO (6% - 9% per lb) and let cool to about 125, then pour. It works well for me. Testing was done in 8 oz tins, ECO 14 wicks.

I'm confused. How can you add the F/O at 165 or even 175 and still pour at 170? When I add my F/O at 175 , stir, the temp is already down to 166....past your pouring point. (?)

I can't speak for how the OP handles this issue, but here's what I do:

There are two ways this is achieved: either one heats the wax to a higher temp to accommodate the drop in temp the much cooler FO causes, so that one ends up at the desired pouring temp, or one can prewarm the FO.

In my case with C3, I heat the wax to 180°-185°F, add the wax to the FO in the pouring pot, which generally (depending on the temp of the FO) drops the temp in the pour pot to around 170°-175°F. I stir the wax continuously until the temp has dropped to my desired pouring temp of 165°F.

In the wintertime, I frequently have to prewarm the FO so that it will not drop the wax temp too much. I have an electric skillet which I put water in and keep at a low simmer. If it's a really cold day, I put the pour pot with the FO into the skillet to prewarm the FO. Easy peasy.

I'm glad you asked this question because I am not sure how many people actually put a thermometer in their pour pot and monitor their pouring temp throughout the pouring process. Assuming one pours more than one candle at a time, the pouring temp for the first candle you pour should be the same as the last one you pour. If one overlooks this issue, the results of the candles poured from a single batch can vary a great deal in terms of frosting issues, "wet spots," scent throw, etc. People who pour many candles from one pour pot should really pay attention to this and also how they are cooling their products. Tarts are a great example. They are small and lose heat (cool) far more quickly than a 16 oz. apothecary; therefore their cooling may have to be slowed down by covering, etc. to achieve the same results as a candle with a larger volume of wax. Ignoring this can cause many "mysterious" frosting issues with soy waxes. HTH :)

I agree with Stella on the pour temp varying if you are pouring several containers be it soy or paraffin. I don't like pouring more than 2lbs at a time. I would rather have to mix more wax, scent, dye than try pouring a heavier pot. Even at that amount if I am pouring small containers/molds I may even put that back on my electric skillet to warm it up. My hand/wrist can't handle much more, You know, old age, arthritis :rolleyes2

Not meaning to change the original topic but since it's being brought up about pouring temps...I think I may have had a "lightbulb" moment in regards to my poor HT. I use IGI 6006 heat to 190, add dye and FO and pour at 180. As it has been mentioned, adding the FO drops the temp (sometimes significantly). I use the pour pot/double boiler method. After adding the dye and FO I keep my pour pot in the hot water and bring the temp back up to 187 or so and then remove from the hot water bath and cool to 180 and then pour into my containers. I'm only pouring about 3 containers at a time. After reading Stella's post it got me to thinking that this method may be causing my disappointing HT. I realize wicking has a hand in HT too but I think I have that part almost narrowed down.

So I guess my question is...is my method hindering successful HT?

Karen

I'm confused. How can you add the F/O at 165 or even 175 and still pour at 170? When I add my F/O at 175 , stir, the temp is already down to 166....past your pouring point. (?)

I dont always get the fo right in at 175 and so as long as its above 165, I add it and my throw is still great. I try to do it all between 165 and 175. I found it too complicated to only add the oil right at 175 and then pour right at 170, so I give myself a 165-175 window to add fo and pour at. sorry, that was complicated, as I re-read it. Hope that makes more sence.

I finished reading the rest of the posts and there are definatley some things that I didnt think of such as the temp I pour my first candle at vs. the temp I pour my last candle at??? I am sure they arent the same temp, but I dont have any problems w/ my HT, I do notice that some of the tops arent as smooth as others, and I gues that would have to do w/ the varying pour temps. I havent done more than 2 pounds at a time,fyi. All in all, w/ the 464 I try to add fo and pour between 165 and 175. Oh, I do heat my wax up to 180-185, just incase anyone was wondering. This process is working for me, and my throws w/ these oils are great. I didnt see alot on this specific wax regarding fo and their throws, so that is why I posted this initially.

I use GB 464 and the majority of the scents I have used come from CandleScience. For some reason, I haven't had much success with Wildberry Mousse. I let it cure for a few days and tested and I could not smell anything. I only did 1 oz of FO. I made one for my sister and let her test it out and she said at first all she could smell is vanilla but once she started burning she said she could smell what it was supposed to be. I made another Wildberry and let it cure for two weeks. Cold throw was strong, but yet again... the hot throw was weak. I was disappointed because there have been rave reviews, but maybe it is just my senses! I will have to revisit that scent in the future.

Here are some that I have tried from CandleScience that throw great in GB 464:

Clean Cotton

Coconut (weak cold throw but great hot throw)

Cranberry Marmalade

Fresh Coffee (a little on the sweet side)

Kiwi

Lavender Vanilla

Lime Cooler

Rain Water

Sex on the Beach

Sweet Pea

Very Vanilla

Watermelon

I heat wax to 175-185, add my FO (6% - 9% per lb) and let cool to about 125, then pour. It works well for me. Testing was done in 8 oz tins, ECO 14 wicks.

Thanks so much for sharing! I really like the wildberry mousse! I do notice that sometimes I have a hard time smelling my candles, I have to wait a few days after I have made them to really smell again! I hate getting that candlenose! My sister helps me test scents at times too b/c of candlenose.I hope you get the wildberry mousse worked out, I think you will like if so. Thanks again, Natalie

Thanks so much for sharing! Its nice to get some more info out on this wax! I have been wanting to try out mc! I am going to be pouring some candles today w/ a fo from a company called cierra's. So, later in the week I will start burning them and put up some rew results.:smiley2:

I use a hot plate and a coffee carafe with a digital oven thermometer that has the attatched cord (a good long one). I pour wax from the spigot on my turkey melter and then place on the hot plate and put the thermometer in and then take my shot glass out of the toaster oven and measure out the fo and pour into the pour pot. Set the timer for 2 minutes and stir with a slotted spoon and then pour into pre-wicked warm jars. Usually, at the end of the night (when I'm tired) I'll pour up several without paying attention to temp and the first ones look great and the last one looks awful (adhesion wise). Ht is the same though. Everything is weighed out on the scales by the way. HTH.

Steve

So I guess my question is...is my method hindering successful HT?

I don't know what the best pouring temp is for your wax. Most waxes I have used seem to have a pretty wide range for adding FO - I've added FO at 125°F with C3 and gotten a very nice throw, although I think it throws better when added at a higher temp. Good throw has never been much of an issue for us with NatureWax C3. Sometimes we may sample a "dud" FO here and there, but most are very pleasing. One way to tell if your wax/FO isn't throwing well is to put some in a tart warmer. If the wax smells heavenly in the tart warmer, I'd look real hard at the wicking. If the FO doesn't throw much in the warmer, try a known great throwing FO. If THAT doesn't throw well in the tart warmer, then you can wonder if your wax isn't right... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I did some more testing.......

The Candlemakers Store

Apple Creek- 1.5 oz/#

Pumpkin Spice- 1.5oz/#

Cierra's

Harvest Spice- 1.5oz/#

Harvest Pumpkin- 1.6 oz/# ( really strong, can probably do 1.5oz)

Apple Jack- 1.6 oz/#- smelled like a cider to me

I have many more to test, just need to find the time to do it! I will continue to update this, These all did GREAT in the 464!

Here are a few more that I have found great CT and HT at 7-8%

Peak's

French Vanilla Amber-to dye for!

CS

English Garden-very floral, but nice

Black Cherry-blow ya out of the house strong

Ocean Breeze

Cinnamon Sticks-Fantastic!

Hansel and Gretels House-love this one

• 1 month later...

Hey. Never responded before but I have learned alot from this board!! T I order from CS too and I love the Love Spell and Ocean Breeze. I use 464 and it has great CT and HT!! I was just wondering about the coconut oil where do you get that. I would like to test a few candles with that. Thanks