How important is it that your tarts pop out of the bowl?

joanncat18

Hi, I am testing my tarts and I love the HT of them and the look and feel of them, but they are too soft and wont pop out of the bowl after cooled? I even tried putting it in the freezer for 10 min or so. I just got wax under my nails trying to get it out. Should I try to make these harder so they pop out?? Or should I leave well enough alone? Do customers generally find this important or do they usually burn one until gone?

Thanks,

Jamie

What type wax are using? I use a para/soy blend and they usually pop out but if they don't I pop them in the freezer and they always come out. I know my customers wouldn't like it if they couldn't get them out..I don't think it matters how long you burn them there will always be wax left in the bowl.

I wouldn't be pleased either if mine didn't come right out. Who wants to have to pour melted wax out and make a mess? The wax won't burn until gone either; it just burns the scent off. I use a pillar wax for mine and they come out with no problem.

I don't sell, but I use. I don't need them to pop out at room temp - I stick my bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes to accomplish that. Actually often for a few days (I have the attention span of a gnat).

But don't then stick a freezing bowl over heat right away or it can crack.

I don't make tarts yet, but that is one requirment that I will have with my testing. I think it will be safer for you and your customer if they pop out instead of the customer having to melt the wax and then pour the hot wax out of the holder before they can put in a new one. I think somebody mentioned it earlier, but I will say it again just incase i'm thinking of a different post. Since there is no flame, the wax will not "dissapear" like they do with your candles. So it really depends on what you want and what the customers want.

For me this is a pet peeve. Before I started making my own I used to never want to use them because it was such a hassle to get them out. I want to be able to just push it with my finger and have it slide right out so I can pop a new one in. The whole put it in the freezer thing was infuriating to me because 1/2 the time I would put it in and walk away, forgetting it was in there because I was doing something, only to find it a week later when I went to get something from the freezer.

Before I made candles I used lots of tarts. All of the tarts I used would not pop out of the electric warmer. I would just use the tart until no scent then pour out. However, I do make tarts and mine don't pop out.

I never even thought it would be possible to have them just pop out without using the freezer........

I think to have them pop out would be great. But, for myself and my customers it wouldn't matter either way. All that is important is that the tarts are strong and last a long time.

I learn something from this site all the time!!!:yay:

Thanks

Ok so I tried a blend of 75% 4625 (igi pillar blend) and 25% acu para 30 container wax and that one came out of the bowl with quite a bit of help from the freezer and the handle of a spoon. So I melted one that is 100% 4625, no container wax and that one wont pop out either. I put it in the freezer and it still wouldn't pop out without digging it out with the back of a spoon. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone make tarts out of 4625? If so, do they come out of the bowl?

I am just torn on this because I really like the look, feel, and scent of the tarts I made with a blend of my container wax but they don't pop out of the bowl. Some are saying it's important and some are saying it's not. If the customer cools it completely and can't pop it out, then couldn't they just turn on the warmer for a minute until it releases but is not all melted? Seems like this would be easier than putting it in the freezer anyways...or at least not more trouble. Then they could just wipe out any residue with a paper towel?

We make our tarts from feathering palm, and one cooled they always just pop right out. We have just recently been given some yankee samples to burn from a prospective new customer as they liked the scent. Being paraffin once cooled they were a damn pain to extract from the burner.

Personally I would not be bothered with them if I had to place in the freezer in order to remove from the warmer. To me that is just tooo much effort :)

Cheers

Richard

The feathering palm works for us really well. Both hot & cold throw are great. The do of course have the feathered look to them which we like anyway. Very easy to release from the moulds, as its pillar wax so does shrink back just a little.

Cheers

Richard

post-10747-139458456096_thumb.jpg

I use the KY para-soy tart mix..I have to put it in the freezer for a few minutes and then it pops out pretty easy..I've never had to really "dig" it out. It would be nice to have your tarts just pop out of the bowl without the freezer. Most people I've talked to don't mind doing that and consider it a necessary part of using tarts...just like having to trim the wick each time you burn a candle.

Good luck..very pretty tart pic Richard..I've never worked with Palm..going to have to put that on my "to do" list.

I'm another palm wax tart maker. I love that you can just push with one finger on a cooled tart and it pops right out. Thats why I use palm wax. It also makes a pretty pattern and the H&C throw is better and spreads faster with palm IMO.

Using wax that won't pop out of the bowl is messy and aggravating. And putting it in the freezer to pop out?!! Is that a selling point for the customer. Me thinks not.

Just fragrance oil and liquid dye. I pour them into the standard one oz metal tart molds so I make about 16 tarts per lb of wax. I do heat the wax up to around 100-110 and pour at about 95-100.

Although I once mistakenly poured at about 85-90 and found the crystal pattern still appears.

Palm wax is NOT the ideal wax for tartmaking. While beautiful and easy to work with, palm wax has some characteristics which make it a poor choice for melts. If one melts ONE little tart, everything will usually go well; but some folks like to load up their melters and that's where problems arise.

If heated from underneath, palm wax takes a while to melt fully because it melts at a much higher temperature than does soy. If it adheres to the side of the melting container, the hot wax underneath can suddenly spew from the pressure of being trapped under the unmelted wax. I have seen this happen with container formula palm waxes and pillar formulas. It has happened to me here at home (which is why I do not sell palm wax tarts!). This can also happen with pillar soy waxes, but is less likely because soy wax is softer than palm as it goes from solid to liquid. Palm wax doesn't soften when heated like soy does. It is either hard or melted with very little time between the two states. That's the problem!

If you MUST use palm wax for melts & tarts, PLEASE caution people not to use more than one tart in their melters... all it takes is ONCE...