question for the experts

I don't post often, but I have a question that I'm hoping that someone can help me with.

A friend of mine made candles - quite a few years ago. I'm honestly not sure how long ago. She's in process of moving and found a case of jars as well as a bunch of bottles of scents in her basement. She generously gave them to me. It was like Christmas that day lol. :yay:

BUT - I have NO idea how old these bottles of scents are. They're from Missy's Candle Supply. (out of Ohio, I believe) I've tried to find it online, and came up with nothing. None of the bottles are "sucked in" on the sides - which I hear sometimes occurs with older oils.

Is this stuff safe to use? I thought that maybe I'd make them into tarts/melts as I make quite a few of these. But, I'm a little nervous. Should I just toss the whole bunch of it?

I'm at wits end here - as they smell absolutely wonderful ,,,, but....how old is too old?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated....

I have a feeling those may be too old; the original Missy's has been out of business for a long time. But I agree with everyone else that if they look and smell OK, why not try them out.

Since you brought it up, let me just mention that I don't believe the "sucked in" phenomenon reflects anything about the condition of the fragrance oil. FOs stored in flexible HDPE bottles often do that if you leave them sealed airtight. It takes a while to become noticeable but it starts right away.

I've never understood why that happens.

I agree with Top the sucked in side doesn't mean anything, a lot of new fo bottles get sucked in. And as far as the oils if they smell good, and work, they should be ok. Some fragrances last longer thna others.

Thanks all! I'm going to head to the dungeon this afternoon to do a few things and while I'm at it, I just "have to" try some of these scents. I'm thinking that I'll make myself a wickless jar and a few tarts with a few of these scents. (might even dip a bear....lol) What the heck!!

I'll let you all know the outcome.

By the way - since she was generous enough to give up all this stuff, I'm thinking that maybe I'll make her a killer "thank you" basket. Inside, i'll put a warmer and a bazillion tarts (some made with her scents - if they work). I figure that's the least I can do as she seriously gave me 43 (16oz.) bottles of scents - most of which were full (or nearly full) As I said - it was like Christmas here!!! :yay:

I've used old bottles of scent that were several years old. As long as it smells good I'll try it out. Never had to throw any out.. yet!

There's been a lot of discussion on this board about the plastic bottles that get that sucked in look. Some believe that only amber glass bottles make the best FO storage bottles. I use both and have not found any difference in the quality or evaporation of the oil in either type container.