Wick Stickums Won't Stick!!

Singin' dem wick-stickin blues, eh?!!!

For candles that I sell or gift to others, I use Permatex High-Temp Silicone Gasket Maker, available at auto parts stores everywhere. It does NOT soften, let go or leak even when the wax is totally liquid and the wick has been allowed to become a torch! It's rated to around 600°F, if memory serves me correctly. Other silicone rubber sealants are not rated for that high of a temperature. What's important about that is:

1) it holds the wick tab in place and does not allow the wick assembly to "wander" (due to convection or convex bottoms) to the edge of the container where bad things can happen

2) it does not soften and leak (which allows liquid wax to continue fueling the wick from below even after the wax level is below the top of the wicktab where the wick is designed to self-extinguish)

Because this stuff works so WELL, it is a BITCH to remove from the bottom of test containers. I dunno about y'all, but I reuse my testing containers to save money (since the container is the most expensive part of a container candle!) and I do NOT sell candles in used glassware. Since a jackhammer is out of the question, I use a single-edge razor blade to remove the gasket sealer. Some containers are too narrow to accommodate my fingers/hand, so I use a razor aquarium algae scraper for those.

BUT I don't like razor blades. They ick me out. Make me envision arterial spray... Sooooo, when testing, I use wick stickums, glue dots or hot glue because they are more easily removed from the bottom of the testing container. The glue dots and wick stickums (IMHO) are relatively worthless except for little candles like votives, etc. I use them strictly for testing new FOs. My preference is hot glue for testing as it USUALLY holds well enough to get me through more rigorous testing of new wax, wicks, or containers.

{Good tip, Debbie, about the acetone nail polish remover. I didn't realize it would dissolve or loosen silicone that has cured, but I betcha I try it on a few jars in the very near future! ;)}

Using a "lesser" wick sticking agent does not affect testing in any meaningful way. Obviously, if one is testing for the scent throw of a new FO, whether the wick moves around toward the end of the container is not going to make any difference in hot throw! Now if one was testing new wax or new wicks, etc., it MIGHT make more of a difference, so one should make more effort to ensure the wick stays put until the bitter end; therefore using hot glue would be preferable. Common sense comes into play... ;) Because we are continually testing, I want to get through it as quickly, painlessly and cheaply as possible and I don't wanna have to make cleaning up test jars for the next round to be any bigger PITA than it already is! :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thanks to everyone....I think I'll use the hot glue idea for testing purposes and should I every make a decent enough candle to give/sell, then I'll use the gasket sealer on my final test. Right now I'm just trying to narrow down wicks and FO's for my wax and would like to reuse my jars for further testing. You're right...they're too expensive to just toss!

I did notice the bottoms of my mason jars and hex jars are a bit domed in the middle and not perfectly flat which is probably causing all my stress. I guess I'll just save the 999 Wick Stickums I have left for flat bottomed jars. Wonder if you could use them to hold bra straps in place under tank tops..:rolleyes2

Everyone have a great day...I'm off to plug in the glue gun!

GE Silicone states it is not intended for temps over 400.....so I THINK that is rated high enough, right?

Not according to the torture test I conducted on tins a couple of years ago... ;) Because I have little faith in the common sense of consumers and great respect for the destructive power of product liability lawsuits, I choose to hedge my bet on the side of caution. :)

Ok, one more time. Walmart carries the 3m heavy duty double sided foam squares that you can cut each square to do 8 wicks. Really cheap, fast and never fails and is easy to remove if you want to reuse the jar. I have been sticking wicks for 3 years with these things and they never fail to stick the wick. HTH.

they never fail to stick the wick
Ok, one more time. Sticking isn't the entire problem. The problem is any adhesive that will soften in high heat conditions & break the seal, allowing the wick to continue sucking liquid wax from underneath the wick tab after the wax has gone below the level of the wicktab neck where it's supposed to self-extinguish, or, worse, let go altogether when the wax is liquid, allowing the wick to wander. Plenty of folks use foam stick-on things as well as the glue dots...

053107037.jpg

...even the high-temp hot glue I was able to buy at the craft store didn't ALWAYS hold up. Because the general public doesn't follow burning instructions, torture testing is required. I haven't found a stick-on yet that will hold up EVERY time. Because this is a critical safety issue, "most of the time" isn't good enough for my standards. The only product that has always held up for me is the gasket sealer. To each his/her own. :)

Call CS and let them know. Maybe CS got a bad batch.

There was a problem in the fall with a bad batch at BCN.

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75090&page=2&highlight=stickums

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75737&highlight=wick+stickums

I am guessing that CS gets their Wick Stickums from BitterCreek, since Wick Stickums are TM and CS is selling the Wick Stickums.

Just a thought.:confused:

ETS: When the stick-ums stick.. They are easy, not messy and work great. But sometimes there seems to be bad batches.

No, No, NO. You got a bad batch. The best ones are from Steve, at The Candlemaker Store. He makes them. They are in a square and they will stick to curves, dusty glass, dirt, my fingers, anything if they are right. I have gotten a batch that didn't stick, and they took them back. You should not have to heat anything, or use a pen, nothing. You should be able to stick them on the wick and stick um in the jar. Starrville Soaps in Texas carry's them too. I will never use the rolls again. They are a pain in the butt. But before you call them to tell them they don't stick. Make sure you took the little wax piece off of the sticker first. Stick it to your finger. It should stick well to your finger. If it comes off, they are no good. If your finger is dry. Mine are so good, they get stuck on the rim of the jar and I have to pry them off.

Yep, what Debra said . . .I use The Candlemaker's Store stickums too !! They are the best !!! I tried the silicone but my process doesn't allow for the "dry" time of silicone which I might add does work wonderfully. Time for me is an essence, Steve's stickums eliminates the uncertainy and are a quick stick.

I am curious, are you saying that when you test your jars all of the way down, that you never have a stickum come loose? I have tried stickums from several different suppliers, even Candlemaker's, and they too would come loose at the end of testing. I know it is a pain to use the Silicone, I have to let them set up, but I still think it is the safer way to go. :confused:

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I do only make palm wax candles and it could be heat of the palm wax that makes them come loose? :confused: I don't know! The stickums worked great until..... it gets to the bottom of the jar. If the stickums work, I think it is great and by the way Candlemakers' were the best stickers that I had used.

I would also have to agree that you got a bad batch. I get my stickums from BCN and have never had a problem.

I was reading that they(bcn) got a bad batch but corrected the problem.

I was using a hot glue gun before the stickums and had a huge problem with the wicks sliding. I have never had that problem with the stickums.

HTH :)

Now I don't know about palm wax. So I can't say. And yes, once in awhile one will come loose. That is from not pushing it hard enough in the bottom, or a really humid day. Glue Dots suck, the rolls are not much better, plus they are a mess with all those little tabs. Drives me nuts. I am stuck on Steve's. Wix and Wax carries them and Starrville Soaps. Not sure who else. Steve is cheaper. I stick things all over the house with them. The frig. They are hard to get off sometimes. Try them you will like them. If you just make a few candles then you have time to mess with all those steps. But I don't. One of my employees decided to put the stickers on all the wicks and put them back in the packages. OMG. Don't ever do that. I like to never got them unstuck.:laugh2:

I would also have to agree that you got a bad batch. I get my stickums from BCN and have never had a problem.

I was reading that they(bcn) got a bad batch but corrected the problem.

I was using a hot glue gun before the stickums and had a huge problem with the wicks sliding. I have never had that problem with the stickums.

HTH :)

Supposedly they did but with my last batch of them I purchased in the last few months, the first few seemed O.K. but now they aren't sticking either. I think they have another bad batch.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I do only make palm wax candles and it could be heat of the palm wax that makes them come loose?
They get loose with my soy waxes as well as palm wax. Because this is a safety issue, I don't want to take a chance on some coming unstuck because of humidity, manufacturing oils or the phase of the moon, so I use what has worked for me 100% of the time. :)

I agree, Stella. Some candles that I have bought over the net will burn well until they get down to the end. This was a palm wax candle that was double wicked, and both of the wicks came loose. It looked to me like they may have used hot glue.

The day before I make a batch of candles, I will spend that evening wicking the jars with silicone. For me it is really no different than wicking with a stickum. The next day the jars are wicked and ready to go.