Pinecones

NancyT

Does anyone have any good ideas on what to do with large pinecones? A friend just gave me 3 garbage bags full and they are huge. Some are even as large as a football. I know the typical christmas tree stuff but I'm looking for something different. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nancy

Does anyone have any good ideas on what to do with large pinecones? A friend just gave me 3 garbage bags full and they are huge. Some are even as large as a football. I know the typical christmas tree stuff but I'm looking for something different. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nancy

I used to tie a string around them, cover them in peanut butter and roll in birdseed. Then hang outside for bird feeders. The kids loved this activity.

I have also seen the large ones dipped in purple wax, fragranced with grape or vineyard. The top either colored in green or add greenery to it to make it look like a cluster of grapes. They were pretty cool and smelled good, too!

Thanks for the ideas....I especially like the one about dipping in purple wax to look like a grape cluster. I'm sure I'll try that one first. I thought about the firestarters too but wasn't sure if I wanted to waste my big pinecones on them. Thanks again

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Around here they dip them in scented wax and sell them. You put them in a basket or place around your home for the fragrance. They sell pretty good. Use a pillar type wax thou.

I've also seen wax dipped cones sprinkled with white glitter to look like snow. Very pretty!

I have made a pine cone wreath which turned out really nice. You can buy the round wire wreath shaped rings in a craft store and then I just wired all the different sizes and shapes on to the ring. I filled in the little open areas with moss or what ever else you might want. I had my husband then spray it with I don't remember what it was but it made it shine very nice. I am sure they can tell you what to use at the craft store it has been a while since I did this. I have it hanging up and for each season I put a different bow on it that I made. Hope this might help you. :smiley2:

• 3 weeks later...

CandyBee

What color of wax were the pine cones dipped in? I have a over abundance of pine cones in my neighbors yard who is more than happy for me to pick them up and use them for whatever. So far I have some soaking in a large pickle jar scented with Pine Tree fo but like the idea of glitter. Thanks.

Anna

The wreath idea is a good one.Put a bow at the top.People like something different if you are thinking of selling some at craft show.All the cost is the wire wreath and bow.After you get some made I am sure other ideas would pop in your head for added decoration. Something Christmas.

LynnS

CandyBee

What color of wax were the pine cones dipped in? I have a over abundance of pine cones in my neighbors yard who is more than happy for me to pick them up and use them for whatever. So far I have some soaking in a large pickle jar scented with Pine Tree fo but like the idea of glitter. Thanks.

Anna

I've seen them in all different colors; red for cinnamon, green for xmas tree, orange for orange spice, bayberry for bayberry, blue for blueberry, etc.

If you are going to dip them go ahead and scent and color your wax then dip them in the wax. A friend of mine said she had to dip them several times but I think it depends on the wax you use.

Also-- if you put the wax in a container big enough to dip the whole pine cone then pull it out with one of those bar-b-que tongs and let it cool on wax paper. If you are going to decorate it with glitter or sprinkles or whatever I would do that while the wax is still warm enough for it to stick.

The ones I saw were very nice and packaged in cello bags with a gold foil labels and twistie ties. They looked great and smelled wonderful.