Sandle?

kitchenfairy

I saw those too. I was thinking they were more likely a fine grain salt. I've used the salts in tart warmers, the really big ones and they worked well. This sounds like a larger version of that. I am sure they named it sandle vs something with salt because it sounds better. :)

I'm betting it's granulated aroma bead material

And I am going to have to say it probably isn't. That will melt in a tart melter, so would on a jar warmer too.

Kitchenfairy, I would try just regular cheepest you can get salt. I know from making bath salts that any salt will hold both color and fragrance...I'd grab a container of sea salt perhaps from the grocery store, the fine grain and give it a go :)

Well, I'm still waiting to hear if it is sand or not (I'd wonder about that too Vera.. if it's not sand it's false advertising) but I'm also going ahead with a little test of some of the salt I have here at home (about 2T worth). I'll let you know how it goes if anyone wants a follow up. :)

You really should talk to a gel candle maker we can tell you about sand and FO.

Yes sand holds FO pretty well, here is the problem sand will take on the flash point of the FO so if you are going to do this make sure your FO have a FP of at least 200 degrees never use the scented sand on a tea light, warmer eletric only.

This something gel candle maker have known for years sand will leach the FO from gel wax and become highly flammable. That is why we crimp our wicks above the sand when making gel candles with sand. I would even look in to mixing your FO with some with a higher FP for safety sake.

Wow Vicky thanks! That's really helpful info. I was looking only at electric warmers so that's good to know... now I would have to make sure to pass that on to any clients. :)

So, I know you said that it will leach the fo from the gel candles, could I scent the sand like I do aroma beads then?

This is what I would do if I was going to do this.

I would start at the very minimum FO to sand ratio more like you are scenting candles than aroma beads I would start with 4% then work my way up or down depending on how much FO the sand can hold. I would mix the FO and sand let it sit for a few days then lay it out to dry if nessecary before testing it the first time. You would not want the sand to feel wet, you would want it to feel dry.

I was on the candlewic website yesterday and came across these wax granules and it said they can be used for sand candles. Is this what you are talking about?

GranulatedWaxI_small.gifGranulated Candle Wax Art Crystals

Granulated wax, also referred to as magic wax crystals or scented sands, can be used in a myriad of applications. You can make an instant candle by just pouring the crystals into a glass container and placing the wick in. The beads can be layered to create very unique looks. Much like sand art, wax art crystals are a great source for individuals to make their own candles at fairs, carnivals, and craft shows.

Care Bear, did you test you sand candle yet???

yep. it's sand. darkly dyed and strongly scented. not damp at all, no sign of FO settling out.

fairly fine grain.

lanceandcoco - no it's not granulated wax - it really is sand.

We got the Tropical Vanilla. IMO it STINKS

http://www.candlewarmers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?prod=372

ETA: no risk of WAX spills, but the jars are full, the lids are tight, and the stuff spills very easily. I don't like.

I went back and read the thread, and apologize in advance if I missed an answer but...

Could one use say some of the play sand they sell at Lowes/Home Depot, use FO and dye, and just have it sitting in a bowl and it be used as a room freshener? Just curious if anyone has done this opposed to using it with wicks for burning.

I went back and read the thread, and apologize in advance if I missed an answer but...

Could one use say some of the play sand they sell at Lowes/Home Depot, use FO and dye, and just have it sitting in a bowl and it be used as a room freshener? Just curious if anyone has done this opposed to using it with wicks for burning.

Not sure about play sand but would be interested to know. However, they haven't been talking about a wick and burning--these are sold for use with a candle warmer--no wick at all.

If someone does know about the play sand ? I hope that they answer!

well, I did a quick batch with play sand and so far...good results. It absorbed all the fo, I used an ounce of fo in 1 # of sand...not sure it's enough to last 6 weeks but I need to put it on a warmer and see how long it lasts. I didn't attempt to color this first time, but will with my next batch. Super easy, just used same method as aroma beads with the shaking until all absorbed. I think I'll definitely need to tweek this, but it's a fun project when you think of all the things you can do with sand. Even scenting the sand that coats candles to make them stinkier! :laugh2:

Having fun with it!

carebear- ha ha thats the same scent I got! peeeeww:laugh2: that's 19.00 bucks I could have wasted somewhere else. Oh well it was cool to see, I just wonder where they get that fine sand that colors so well. I tried it with regular tan sand and used a purple dye and it looked gross.I'll just keep to making candles they are a big enough challenge for me.

I bet the colored sand used for those sand projects would work, you know with the layers of colors in a bottle - the name escapes me, but its one of those things kids do at summer camps.

My Hobby Lobby carries all sorts of colors of it, from your basic sand colors to neon and primary colors. The texture is small grained and I'm sure it would likely work very well - plus you wouldn't have to color it!

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/department.aspx?dep=50&cat=38&subcat=5