The latest tag try.

Well these are the latest try on the tags. Again they would be folded in the middle. I keep finding things I like and things I thought I'd like but dont. I thank all of you for your input. Trappeur You have been so helpful. I look forward to what you think. The "Country Kitchen" is a layered candle we are making consiting of Blueberry Cobbler, Vanilla, and Baked apple pie.

post-10455-139458455375_thumb.jpg

post-10455-139458455377_thumb.jpg

This is starting to look pretty good, however the red is a little hard to read over the graphic. Perhaps you could choose a different colour or a darker shade of red.

It would also be good to see how it looks on your jars to get a better perspective of the overall look.

Cheers

Richard

Hi, it seems to me as though you DO want to use the pentagram symbol somehow as it must represent something that expresses something about YOU.

At first you had it on the back of your label and now you are trying it on the front.

Is there some hesitation about using it I have to wonder?

I think if you are thinking of targeting the pagan/wiccan crowd it's absolutely perfect because it represents so much to "those" people and is instantly recognisable to them.

(I'd perhaps try it smaller between the writing, like a logo - not cover it with writing....or at least try and centre the writing so it's not overlapping the circle?)

But if your aim is for your target market to be much broader then a symbol like that "might" just scare some people (misguidedly so) away.

With a scent like "country kitchen" the pentagram seems almost out of place to me.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but if I were marketing towards the pagan crowd I think I'd be focusing in on the more earthy elements, even to the point of changing fragrance names to give that more earth/nature elements vibe.

Whatever the case I think you need to be sure, in your mind and heart about what it is you are aiming to represent and then follow through.

That's my 2 cent's worth :)

Oh and perhaps I'd steer clear of a black label with a pentagram symbol as it seems to make the whole pagan element very "dark"....again giving off vibes of negativity associated with that symbol. (colour therapy and all that...)

I'd perhaps try a white label with black print or even an earthy neutral colour with black print.

I don't see the need for the symbol to be on both the front AND the back of the label either.....a bit of overkill there. :)

I think Desertrose is on to something here. You need to decide who your target audience is and design your label accordingly. I'm not sure you're going to find a label that will attract the New Age crowd AND the prim country customers. The clientele are very different. With that being said, I do think the "earthy" look may appeal to both groups as well as others. Perhaps think about going in that direction, with kraft paper labels, a very small pentagram which would not be too apparent to people who may not be pagans/wiccans but obvious to those who are, and a simple font in black which would allow your candles to take center stage. I think you might be trying to make your labels stand out too much. Your product is your candle. I love the beads, though. But the red lettering on top of the pentagram is not readable. (BTW, for New Age festivals, I kind of like the label with the pic with your wife)

HTH

Deb

Well adding one more to the mix of things. I can pretty much change what I need to, But 2 things that have to stay are the arched letters of Shantille's Candle Creations and the Pentagram. My wife is Wiccan and these she wants on the tag and someday lables for the jars. So the Brain is at work :shocked2: again to come up with something usable. I do have to say my wife has liked a couple of the last designs I've done. I do to, but I'm glad to have outside oppinions. Again this would be folded in half. My wifes picture in the back. I have to say I think the one with the boarder is my favorite so far.

post-10455-139458455379_thumb.jpg

post-10455-139458455381_thumb.jpg

Hi Shane,

Everyone has brought up some good points and are asking the same thing that I also asked in your other post about what type of market are you trying to reach. So your not limited to a selection of people by using your symbol, what I can make as far as suggestions is to just put your symbol on the back of the card and probably reduce the symbol a little bit and put your writing over the symbol in 1 color of font. I love how you did the faded symbol with your white lettering over it. It isn't over kill and and has a soft look to it and people who are into paganism will know what it is when they see your tag..Its enough to make a statement. And you know too, if you want to soften your whole look at bit you could change colors or invert them....Going with the black label, a font color in a tan, or kraft color is very dramatic but more soothing to the eyes and is more earthy looking also...The white is nice but its very stark also....Just depends on what looks great together....And too, I'd bring up your rows of words over the medallion so they are not down to the bottom of the card.. If you went with a kraft colored label, you could do black fonts...But keep in mind too, your beads that your using...Find a happy median that will go with all your candle colors and beads so they all flow together...You know what I mean?

Now the front of your label, I'd remove the medallion.

Your scent name is WAAYYYY too big...lol.....How bout trying out another font....I think you could find something a little different...

I was designing some labels for a new account and thought I would doodle some to maybe give you some ideas of how to lay out some fonts and colorway Shane and I looked on the net for some pagan symbols to get downloaded onto a few samples here and I pulled these out...Now mind you, I don't have the foggiest clue what these symbols mean what so ever, so if they are devilish, :laugh2: you'll have to bear with me as I was just looking for colorway! lol....I couldn't figure out how to get your picture of the symbol onto the card, so I went this way....hee hee hee...

Now this hang tag picture here below could be a way to be a hang tag using the black colorway...And I brought your website to the front of the hang tag since there is so much room for it...Another thing you could do on your tag is if you have a slogan, that could go under your business name....I do like your curve in your name. Of course I had no fonts like that! lol.....But this was just for ideas and how to layout your card with everything in balance...And instead of doing white letters, I changed to a tannish color and the card was a little more warmer looking...(well I think it is!, lol)

AnotherShantille.jpg

This could be another version and you could just blowup your medallion....Another thought. I know the card is out of balance, but you get my jest...And with the medallion on the back of the label, the label could appeal to all sorts of people...

ShantilleHangTag3.jpg

So maybe this could help you some.....I really like what you have changed so far though...Just some critiquing, thats all...You might not like at all what I put up..was just some suggestions. Aren't labels and candle just oh so much fun?;):)

Trappeur

Ps: Did I do good on the medallions? Are they devil worship symbols? Geesh I hope not....But that would be me to put up something I know nothing about! lol

The first medallion on top reminds me of the tree of life....

The bottom one almost looks like a Hitlar thing after I got it up here...lol...oh well!

I really like the latest one you've done with the border....despite the fact that I earlier said I preferred less colour on a label :)

Purple is a very spiritual/mystical colour so if you ARE wanting to promote that aspect I think it's very appealing (to me it is anyway)

I think perhaps the curved lettering needs to be up a touch higher so it's not actually touching the pentagram symbol OR the pentagram brought down a touch and the scent name font a bit smaller.

I think the scent name should be smaller no matter the case so that your candle company name stands out more.

I know what Trappeur is trying to say and her examples of how to "not scare people away" are pretty good ones, but if your wife is Wiccan and wants to appeal to that market then I reckon you guys, or your wife, should stand proud for her belief system and use the pentagram on the front as you have done!

It WILL appeal to those who recognise it and will be valued, I think, if it is displayed in an upfront manner.

(BTW Trappeur, I don't think either of those represent anything devilish :) - but watch out for the star where the single point points downward.)

My only concern for you guys is that it will (and I can almost gurantee it will) cause a negative reaction from some people.

I recently made a music video clip and in it I showed an image of a pentagram and I was accused of being a satanist by one very misinformed person.

I don't follow any set of beliefs, but am drawn to many different elements of many different kinds of religions and belief systems and even though I stated that, still my pentagram was viewed as being "the work of the devil".

Was quite confronting to say the least to realise that there are still people out there who are really quite closed minded and even afraid of certain symbols.

Tracy

Okay, now that I know what you're going for this is a little easier. I think we were all on different pages before. Based on what you have said, I think your label with your wife's picture and the border is the best. Maybe just tweak it a little. Like Desertrose said, the scent name can be smaller and not shadowed. Maybe a simpler font for that one as well. I would try a couple of different fonts for the words on back. They look a little blocky compared with your other fonts. IMO, I probably wouldn't put the warning about reading the warning label on the tag. Just how many times do we have to warn people not to be stupid?:smiley2: I think this label will look nice with your beads.

P.S. I really like Trappeur's design as well but I would be concerned about using all that black ink if I were printing them at home.

Oh wow!lol, lol.....I was totally out to lunch and off base when I suggested some different ways of doing a label...Gesh! I thought that the idea was to play down the Wiccan and do something in the middle....I thought that you said your wife didn't want the picture of her on it either....so I was trying to come up with something a little different..lol...oh well, I guess I mis understood the whole thing..no problem....I had fun anyway...

Now that I understand that the idea is to promote Wiccan, as far as which label I like, well, either one really...The only suggestions I have is like Deb said about the warning and on the front lower the symbol. One thing that maybe might be a thought to change is the scent name....Since the label is to be geared towards Wiccan, how bout changing the name a bit that is more Wiccany, lol....but still you would know that it is chocolate...I hope you understand what I'm trying to say! lol.

Bottom line Shane, if you have that type customer base, then by all means go for it...but if you don't and are trying to establish it, it might take some doing if you can do it...You'll just have to see what the public reaction is...but thats what makes each of us so unique also. There is something for everyone...

Trappeur

Trappeur

Ps: Did I do good on the medallions? Are they devil worship symbols? Geesh I hope not....But that would be me to put up something I know nothing about! lol

The first medallion on top reminds me of the tree of life....

The bottom one almost looks like a Hitlar thing after I got it up here...lol...oh well!

Trappeur,

I'm sure some others can explain better than I can, but the shortest and easiest way to explain paganism is that it is a Nature based religion. They worship a God or Godess or both. My wife is wiccan. While there is a section that does worship the devil (satanism), most Pagans do no harm to anything or anyone. Hollywood and the press have given the Pentagram a bad name. It is just the opposite. Most of these people are very calm, happy, and very friendly. I have been supprised by the warm welcomes I have recieved at their get-togethers. And you would be suprised at who is Pagan. Dr.'s, Lawers, Teachers, The one Festival that we attend even has a Goverment official.

I hope this helps to shed some light on it, and sets your mind at ease that it is not EVIL.

PS thank you for the work-up of the cards. The only thing we worry about is people associating the black color with Black Magic. It is giving me additional Ideas. THANK YOU. My wifes not to keen to the idea of her picture on the lable.

thank you

shane

post-10455-139458455383_thumb.jpg

I really like Trappeurs label ideas, however, and this is just me, I would not place anything of a religious/pagan, etc... symbol on my products. There are many people that may mis-take those as something they are not, and that could potentially hurt your sales. Keep your candle business, just that, and not an advertising (probably a bad word) tool for things that could be misinterpreted. Let your candles sell themselves and leave your beliefs separate. However, if you are doing a candle for breast cancer awareness and the like, of course, you could show your support for that with a pink ribbon, etc...

And your wifes picture, though you explained that it was a halloween wig, again, may be taken as something different by others. No sense in having to "explain your label" when you are trying to sell the candle.

I hope you get what I mean, and I in no way mean to take away from who you are and your beliefs (Just wanted to be clear on that) ;o) Just speaking from a business standpoint.

Thanks,

Carrie

I'm going to be the one to say ditch the border. It competes with your label and should compliment it instead.

Also going to be the one to go a different direction here. I like the art on the front and would ditch that on the back, because I can't figure out why it applies. The front I can, because if you're going to customer base ... hey, it catches quickly ... but fade it.

So here's my thought ... I really don't like the way the name is. Wiccan and paganism also deals with coming full circle, just like other religions and beliefs no? The split curves makes me think of disconnection, split, two directions, indecision etc.

Soooooooooooooo... that's your choice what you use. Suggestion on the pentagram. Blow it up, fade it, center it on the card so half is on front and half on back and. Fade it so it won't look bad to have type over it, but really, blow it up. It's a beautiful piece you have there. This is only testing with it and what you can do.

On the name ... I'd blow up the Shantilly's and then in a small script that works with the pentagram and is legible ... and works with Shantilly's ... I'd put Candle Creations in a smaller font. Work it around the card till you find where you like it ... Personally, I'd put it on the bottom. The scent on the top and start rotating things around and experimenting more.

I dont have your art work and don't have time today to play around any more to try to give you a visual of what I mean ... but if you found that you liked the idea, then I'd play with color on the pentagram or put a shadow behind the pentagram and color it.

Here's a suggestion...

When I was a little witch'let (as my mother lovingly called me during my younger years) I had a very cute arc candle holder that had colored glass votive cups. What colors were they? Simple, green, yellow, red, blue, and one purple that was put in the center for spirit. Why not do some pictures with candles that are colored in the commonly used elemental colors? Your non-pagan customers will say "Oh, how colorful" and your pagan customers will get a chuckle.

Now you're still inclusive but not to the "OMG Do you worship the devil?" type of questions from people who you'd really like to sell something to.

Thanks for explaining a little about Pagan/Wiccans Shane. I have to admit I know nothing about it...but it is a very interesting subject and I think just to gain a little knowlege I will read up some on it....! Thanks everyone for the nice compliments of how I tried to possibly give suggestions on a label...If I can help anyone, I will try as the same goes to me, I'm always on the lookout and asking for suggestions for myself too. Isn't that what this board here is all about?

Can't wait to see what you finally come up with Shane!

Trappeur

You know Shane, perhaps there's the option of having two completely separate businesses with your candles - one targeting the wider general public and one targeting the wiccan/pagan circles.

Two separate labels, different choices of candles or fragrance names.... different kinds of fairs or markets to sell them at....? (or online - separate websites)

I doubt you would have the down home country people at a new age type market or vice versa?

I don't know....just a thought.

I love Starr's suggestion.

See, to me I think there's a whole 'nother avenue - creatively, to go down with THAT target market.

Richard and I have actually discussed this ourselves recently because well, you have to look at your target markets and decide who to sell to.

Who buys candles?

We're still trying to figure all that out.

Our biggest spending repeat customer is an older man who goes mad for vanilla and frangipani. A guy? I'd have never thought that would be the case.

With our new "hippy pillars" I see that it draws many more young people to our stall.....and yet it's the older people who have actually bought them!

You never can tell!

Anyway, good luck with it all! :)

You know Shane, perhaps there's the option of having two completely separate businesses with your candles - one targeting the wider general public and one targeting the wiccan/pagan circles.

Two separate labels, different choices of candles or fragrance names.... different kinds of fairs or markets to sell them at....? (or online - separate websites)

I doubt you would have the down home country people at a new age type market or vice versa?

I don't know....just a thought.

I love Starr's suggestion.

See, to me I think there's a whole 'nother avenue - creatively, to go down with THAT target market.

Richard and I have actually discussed this ourselves recently because well, you have to look at your target markets and decide who to sell to.

Who buys candles?

We're still trying to figure all that out.

Our biggest spending repeat customer is an older man who goes mad for vanilla and frangipani. A guy? I'd have never thought that would be the case.

With our new "hippy pillars" I see that it draws many more young people to our stall.....and yet it's the older people who have actually bought them!

You never can tell!

Anyway, good luck with it all! :)

Some of our best costomers are guys. Our Customer base is all ages, and You would really be suprised at who comes to these Pagan/wiccan festivals, all ages, all personalities, all walks of life. At the last Pagan Pride Festival that we went to we met the CEO of one of the largest companies in Syracuse NY. He's pagan and fallows Celtic paganism. You never know who you'll meet. I am glad that people are getting more open minded, and asking questions about it, instead of just jumping to conclusions. I like your idea of 2 tags. May be something to look into.

I think you will lose a lot of sales. Just my opinion. I put my Christian fish on my label. There are a lot more Christians out there, but I still have problems some times with people not wanting that on there. At one time, I thought about taking it off. And then I decided not too. I love the Lord and my belief, and I stuck to my guns. If you feel that way, and want to use your candle to witness for you, then stick to your guns. If you want to sell a lot of candles, I wouldn't use it. I think it will back a lot of people off. I think they said that this nation is 85% Christian. No offense. Just a thought.:)