Good days & Bad days...

As with all companies, I am sure most have really good days & really bad days. The good days are when you make a grand or two at a weekend craft show. The bad days are when you can't seem to get the wicking right on a particular candle....I need help guys! I am using 2 LX 16's in a 10 oz apothecary jar. There are some people complaining that the flame goes out where the wick stops but that there is still a 1/3 to a 1/4 of the candle wax left around the jar. I am using pretabbed wicks from Candlescience...is there another type of wick or something I could be doing different? The wick does have a little silver piece it fits in that stems up slightly from the base of the wick....Please help, I am trying to have more good days than bad days now!!!!:) Have a great rest of the week and TIA for any answers on this thread.

Could it be the wick though? The pre tabbed wick has a small circular silver base and then it has a little cylindrical silver piece that comes up from the base and hides the wick.....then the wick appears after about a 1/2 inch and continues to the top of the ja. The flame cannot go further down than the wick will go. So, that little piece of silver cylinder is about 1/4 inch high and that is about how much wax is left? Where do you get your wicks from??

If there is only 1/4 or 1/2 inch of wax left in the bottom of your container, I think that is fine. The pre-tabbed wicks are designed to keep people from burning all the way to the end for safety reasons. Sometimes, people need protected from their own stupidity.

Could it be the wick though? The pre tabbed wick has a small circular silver base and then it has a little cylindrical silver piece that comes up from the base and hides the wick.....then the wick appears after about a 1/2 inch and continues to the top of the ja. The flame cannot go further down than the wick will go. So, that little piece of silver cylinder is about 1/4 inch high and that is about how much wax is left? Where do you get your wicks from??

To me, this sounds like she is talking about the wick tab and the neck of the tab. And saying that there is 1/4" of wax at the bottom of the jar. If this is the case, this is the way it is supposed to be.

If the candle is tunneling I don't see how the wick tabs come into it.

This sounds like two issues - one is hangup on the inside of the container; the other is the amount of wax leftover when the self-extinguishing feature of the wicktab does its thing. Customers generally do not heed burning instructions (which tell folks to stop burning the candle when only a small amount of wax remains in the bottom), so sustainer bases (wick tabs) cause the wick to self extinguish (IF they are sealed when the candle goes liquid at the bottom) at whatever the neck height is. For more information, here's a link to a good discussion of the function of sustainer bases/clips/wicktabs:

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/candle_burning_physical_issues.php

As for too much hangup left in the jar, sounds like your wicking is not "dialed in" as there should be no hangup on the sides of your container at the end of the jar. Another reason may be that your customers are not following burning instructions (1 hour of burn time per inch of candle diameter). If they are burning for shorter periods than that, extinguishing the candle, etc., they are causing the candle to "tunnel." Sounds like you need to do some more testing to see if you can replicate the issues raised or whether the customers were fulla the brown stuff... Asking them to bring you the candles about which they complain is a good idea so you can see what they are talking about for yourself. HTH :)