When someone asks....

Tell them that it might be better to learn from a larger company since you don't have the time to train anyone and that they should contact Yank-ee candle company and they should be able to fix them right up. Its much better to train from a company thats been around from many years anyway. Bruce HA HA HA HA HA HA

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, making candles is fast money all right. Your money will go out very fast, LOL. CraftyChris' suggestion to delete such emails is a good one - because after spending time typing out your response (whatever it may be), it's likely you'll never hear back from them again.

• 2 months later...

I tell people it took me close to 3 years to get it right by testing different types of wax, wicks, scents, and sizes. If they want me to teach them how to make candles then they can pay me $75.00 :shocked2: for a 1 hour class plus supplies and we will start out making votives after that the hourly rate goes up for the pillars and containers.

They usually give up after that. :yay:

Tell them that for $50K, you'll sell them a franchise, including training, start up materials and a protected territory.

Send them a video tape, a Peak's starter kit and a contract that allows them to sell candles, using your name, in a 10 square mile area... as long as thier product meets your standards.

I have never met the lady who wrote me the email below but do make candles for her SIL. She emailed me a week or so ago and I sent her the suppliers by state link and suggested she choose a supplier close to her, get a sample kit to start with and TEST TEST TEST. Then I got this email yesterday and still haven't found the choice words for a reply yet. I am appauled at some people.

"I just brought a bunch of your candles to my sister-in-law in Pittsburgh. She and her daughters loved all of them. They had emailed you once a week or so ago about getting info on how to start their own candle business. The oldest daughter just graduated college and is job hunting but needs some income now! There is no real competition back here in this area so she would love to start her own business. Problem is that they are real unsure about the technical aspect of your business. They would love it if you could provide the web addresses of your suppliers. They would like to stick with your exact product type and smell since they are of such great quality! They are really interested in the candles and the smellie jellies. They had never seen a smellie jellie and fell in love with them. Could you tell them how to make a smellie jellie? They printed off basic candle making instructions from the internet but need someone to mentor them telling them how much scent to use to how much wax, how to tell the correct time to pour, what type of wax (all soy or a mix), how to tell the correct wick to use, how much wax makes each candle. How do we figure the cost versus pricing how much does a single candle cost you so she can figure her profit margin. Where do you get the jars and special jellie lids? The college grad obviously has limited funding currently and wants to use your scents since she knows they would be a hot seller around here. Could you tell her if you have mixed the scents or did they come in that scent? They can find craft stores back here but I thought you maybe were buying your supplies from the internet which would be easier for them so they could buy in bulk versus all the small quantity purchases. We would really appreciate your help on this. The job market is so bad back here but amazingly nobody is handmaking candles. Everybody buys store bought ones so we know she could make a go of the business but we really need your guidance. I realize you are very busy but if you could find time to help my niece out we would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for all the help! And trust me this won't effect me buying from you because I am not driving 5 hours for a candle even if it is made by a family member! Thanks again for helping her!"

Crazy huh?

OMG...does she live in the twighlight zone? I love the last line! She just assumes you are going to teach them how to make YOUR candles! lol...I don't think I would even respond to this email...if she emails again I would say that there really is no way to "guide" them through candlemaking...it is learned through trial and error and usually takes months to years to learn how to make one type.

I have never met the lady who wrote me the email below but do make candles for her SIL. She emailed me a week or so ago and I sent her the suppliers by state link and suggested she choose a supplier close to her, get a sample kit to start with and TEST TEST TEST. Then I got this email yesterday and still haven't found the choice words for a reply yet. I am appauled at some people.

"I just brought a bunch of your candles to my sister-in-law in Pittsburgh. She and her daughters loved all of them. They had emailed you once a week or so ago about getting info on how to start their own candle business. The oldest daughter just graduated college and is job hunting but needs some income now! There is no real competition back here in this area so she would love to start her own business. Problem is that they are real unsure about the technical aspect of your business. They would love it if you could provide the web addresses of your suppliers. They would like to stick with your exact product type and smell since they are of such great quality! They are really interested in the candles and the smellie jellies. They had never seen a smellie jellie and fell in love with them. Could you tell them how to make a smellie jellie? They printed off basic candle making instructions from the internet but need someone to mentor them telling them how much scent to use to how much wax, how to tell the correct time to pour, what type of wax (all soy or a mix), how to tell the correct wick to use, how much wax makes each candle. How do we figure the cost versus pricing how much does a single candle cost you so she can figure her profit margin. Where do you get the jars and special jellie lids? The college grad obviously has limited funding currently and wants to use your scents since she knows they would be a hot seller around here. Could you tell her if you have mixed the scents or did they come in that scent? They can find craft stores back here but I thought you maybe were buying your supplies from the internet which would be easier for them so they could buy in bulk versus all the small quantity purchases. We would really appreciate your help on this. The job market is so bad back here but amazingly nobody is handmaking candles. Everybody buys store bought ones so we know she could make a go of the business but we really need your guidance. I realize you are very busy but if you could find time to help my niece out we would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for all the help! And trust me this won't effect me buying from you because I am not driving 5 hours for a candle even if it is made by a family member! Thanks again for helping her!"

OMG..Brenda... Let me have her...Let me have her...Let me have her PLEASE!!!!

It has been a LONG time ( I think it was the 80s when it was popular to be a bitch, right?)

since I "READ" someone to filth....this one has it coming! The lady has HUGE GONADS!!

I am not sure exactly when I have ever heard anything so bold and so rude. Eeeeegads!

LET ME HAVE HER!!!!

OMG:shocked2:

Talk about the nerve of some people!! Wow!

That email doesn't deserve your time in responding.

I agree with the Dallas Dean. Bruce, That was great too. Tell her to email Yank**.

This person is from Pittsburgh. Send her My way. HA! Ha!:naughty: :naughty:

I would LOVE to give her a piece of my mind. Then again. "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

We can just do it Dustpuupies way.

I take it as a compliment when people ask for my suppliers and formula.

I just had a lady call me last week asking where she could purchase my candles, then she went on to say that she made a some candles because I didn't carry the scent that she likes. She said to me..

"It seemed so easy from the instructions on how to make these candles, but mine do not smell or burn right." She told me how she made it and asked for advice. I politely said to her that it is not as easy as it seems and a lot of testing is involved and wished her the best of luck and told her where she could purchase my candles.

She said to me" Well, what ever you are doing, you have perfected it!!!"

She made my day!!!

Crazy huh?

EVEN MORE CRAZY....is the fact that I received almost the SAME letter over a year ago !! .....same references to the college student with limited funds, no competition in her area, and craft stores didn't carry the things they wanted....even right down to the last line of "it won't effect me buying from you".....I will try to find the email, since I DID keep it. I gave her some links and suggested she do the same thing I have done, spend years perfecting by trial and error....never heard from her again.

wow here we go agin nobody wanting to help anybody wow send them here to this site and maybe somebody will help you think?

Rlfoods, you said that you have another business. Are you willing to divulge all of your proprietary information to someone else? Does that mean that you don't help others? Of course not. Two different things, aren't they? Brenda's email (the one she received) was downright rude, stupid and then laughable. Get real.

wow here we go agin nobody wanting to help anybody wow send them here to this site and maybe somebody will help you think?

LOL yea I think if they come here with the willingness to learn and read and test, people will help, but not if they email someone to give out all their secrets and formulas that that person has worked hard to perfect. AND FOR FREE come on, would you? :rolleyes2

grrrr..okay, here's what i would say...

we are very flattered by the interest to make candles. however, we are not offering candlemaking classes at this time. if you would like to be on our contact list when/if we do have a class, we will let you know in advance so you can start saving the $10,000 fee we charge for classes. we will also include a list of supplies required for class attendance.

seriously....that e-mail just chapps my hide!

i remember when i did gel sea scapes. i had a customer go on and on about how cool she thought they were( co-worker had purchased one) and insisted she purchase one for herself. about a week after receiving it, she called asking me how to make them. she went on about how she took it all apart and couldn't figure out( after many failed attempts), how i got the gel to not cloud from the sand. could i please tell her my step by step instructions.

i was flabbergasted! then replied with, i am very flattered that you like the candle so much, but our company policy prohibits divulging trade secrets.