selling wickless candles

Jeana

How well do wickless candles sell? I think it is a good idea to offer them to people who don't like to have flames in their homes.Do they sell for the same amount regular candles go for? And can you just use the same containers you use for regular candles?

Hi,

Our wickless candles have just started to take off the last year or so. Since they need a candle warmer, and not everyone has one or knows if the person they are buying a gift for has one, they do not sell as well as the wicked candles. Probably one wickless for every four or five wicked that we sell.

We have always had the cachepot warmers at our shows, so people that have bought them are coming back to buy more wickless to use with them. I have also given the warmers as gifts to friends and family, so they are now coming back to buy the wickless. Many people comment that they prefer using the wickless if they have pets - especially cats - even though one customer said that their cat did try to "dip" their paw in the wax once.

Even though we use the same 10 oz apothecary jar for the wickless, they are less expensive because they do not have the strap handle that we add to our wicked and are less time consuming to make - no double-wicking and adding the strap.

HTH

Good info thanks:)Wonder if there is a way to offer a free warmer somehow to encourage more sales. My cat likes to wave her tail over candle flames. She has singed it so many times. So I could see other cat people preferring not to have flames. We have other cats too, they aren't interested at all, but she is really attracted to flames for some reason. So you sell them for less than your wicked candles?

Yes, we charge $1.50 less for the wickless.

Our jars do not fit on some of the pad warmers, so we sell the cachepot warmers from Levines.

Many people are not familiar with the warmers, which is why we always have them in stock. Once they try them, they seem thrilled to have another option rather than a flame. My father loved using his in his senior housing apartment - he was too worried about having a candle burning and forgetting about it. My nieces and nephews have used theirs in their dorm rooms and bedrooms. I use mine on the weekends because and am forever running in and out of the house doing errands and I don't want to have a candle burning.

Except for family and friends, I have never thought to "give" them away. Maybe if they buy so many wickless jars you can afford to give them a warmer. People love "free" or bonus items. Are you using the warming pads for yours? If so, those are more reasonable than the cachepot warmers at Levines. Our jars don't fit on most of the warming pads, so we haven't marketed them as doing so.

Good Luck!

When my daughter was in the dorm at school I sold quite a few, but since I've lost that market they haven't done well for me at all. If you live near a college market them towards the kids in the dorms as they are not allowed to have candles!

Georgia! That's a great idea! I have 2 nieces in college and my oldest son too!

I can't sell them to the regular folk around here! LOL

I had 20 ladies and 1 man show up today to buy. A friend of ours had his 50th high school reunion at his house (ponderosa style, if you know what I mean) I did his custom reunion candles and he wanted them to be able to bring them all to my shop, and they bought over $500 worth, but not one wickless! They bought some mini cinabuns for warmers or to sit in their vehicles during the summer!

ETA: I buy my tarts from Kountry Lights, as I don't have time to make them.....the mini cinis sell very well in my shop...the larger ones they offer I don't sell very many. I always put a few in a jar with a star cut out lid and put them in a cup holder in my truck and during the summer months they are wonderful!

Maybe sell wickless for car cup holders? In a taller jar, not a squatty one (spillage issues there)....just a thought.

Go figure!

Carrie

I guess I will try selling them in my area to see what happens. I'm doing a FM in an area with a lot of retired people and families with little ones.

I think I'll start with tins, nice and safe. I wanted to be able to have them at a much cheaper price, but with the price of the tins (w/shipping) they will have to be up there with my other candles.

When my daughter was in the dorm at school I sold quite a few, but since I've lost that market they haven't done well for me at all. If you live near a college market them towards the kids in the dorms as they are not allowed to have candles!

I know of quite a few colleges that do not allow the warmers in the rooms either. One of my customers used lovespell products so if someone commented on her candle she said oh no its just my body spray or something like that.